Siri now actively used on more than 500M devices, up from 375M in June

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I use Siri every day, and have pretty good results (AW, iPhone).  Enough that I continue to use it every day.  I don't try to do anything complicated, like asking informational questions (trivia, doing homework, asking for the weather).  My use cases are timers, setting reminders, setting calendar appointments, sending texts, general dictation, reading a text when I am driving, sports scores.  Use it a bit for music, and it is fine for playing artists and playlists from iTunes.  Not an Apple Music user yet, so can't comment there.

I haven't had a good success rate using Siri with Maps, even though I am in Canada which has good maps coverage like the US.  I don't blame Siri for this though, as the weakest point of Maps (IMO) is its search function, and how it selects from options (choosing a restaurant of the same name in a city 2000km away instead of the one within a 10 minute drive...).  So is that a Siri failure, or a Maps failure.  I blame Maps as you see the same issues with manual entry.

My wife uses Siri like probably 5 times per hour (all texts, calls, appointments, etc).  She is an anti-techy and has no time for technology not being useful, so Siri must be good enough there.  Sure the dictation screws up a few words maybe every 5th time.  We have learned to live with it.

Not sure why it seems to work "pretty good" for some, and others are extremely dissatisfied.  I guess I learned what Siri was good for, and only use it for those purposes.  I am not in the Alexa or Google Assistant universes, so can't compare.

Really hope that Apple put some specific on-board silicon that can greatly improve the service so it is more reliable, and then more would use it.  
    feudalist
  • Reply 22 of 23
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

mwhite said:
    Siri worked great on my iPhone 6s then my daughter got an X and I got her 7 and it won't hardly ever answer when I use hey Siri or when I try to do a voice message in iMessage not sure if it's Siri the microphone on the iPhone..
    Don't know about an iPhone, but I had an issue with the original Apple Watch where Siri stopped working well, and it was due to dirt in the microphone.  Went to Apple Store, they cleaned it there, and was fine after (although Siri on the original Apple Watch was frustrating, due to the slow CPU performance).  Certainly worth you making an appointment if you live within range of an Apple Store.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    brucemc said:

mwhite said:
    Siri worked great on my iPhone 6s then my daughter got an X and I got her 7 and it won't hardly ever answer when I use hey Siri or when I try to do a voice message in iMessage not sure if it's Siri the microphone on the iPhone..
    Don't know about an iPhone, but I had an issue with the original Apple Watch where Siri stopped working well, and it was due to dirt in the microphone.  Went to Apple Store, they cleaned it there, and was fine after (although Siri on the original Apple Watch was frustrating, due to the slow CPU performance).  Certainly worth you making an appointment if you live within range of an Apple Store.
    Thanks, I have tried to clean it with a soft toothbrush but didn't help, I live 140 miles from the closest Apple Store I plan on going there sometime in August and will have them look at it and replace the battery then hopefully they will have plenty of battery's by then. The good thing is I have extended Apple Care good until September..