Apple Pay finally coming to Brazil later in 2018 [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2018
In Apple's Q1 results call, CEO Tim Cook confirmed that Apple Pay will reach the biggest South American market -- Brazil -- sometime later this year. [Updated with official webpage]

Cook didn't provide further details, such as possible card issuers or compatible merchants. In December, however, people trying to add Itau Unibanco's Visa Platinum Personnalite card to the iOS Wallet encountered a terms-of-service agreement.

Rumors of Apple Pay coming to Brazil date back to 2016, when Mastercard was expected to be Apple's regional partner. Apple has sometimes partnered directly with credit card companies instead of banks for overseas rollouts.

Apple Pay is now in over a dozen countries, such as the U.S., Canada, China, France, Taiwan, Australia, and the United Arab Emirates. It could potentially arrive in Poland in early 2018.

Update: Apple has launched an official webpage, signalling that people will be able to add Visa and Mastercards, including ones from Itau.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Yep, and still no Germany... -.-
    They could at least say so if they don't plan to release it here...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    I'll bet the United Arab Emirates don't have the 100 $ limit that we have here in Canada. Obviously that's not on Apple but on our Big 5 Bank Cartel's trust issues or plain laziness to reprogram the POS terminals to have their NFC distinguish between a plain tap-to-pay card and a smartphone.
    space2001watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cmaus said:
    They could at least say so if they don't plan to release it here…
    Do you have reason to believe they have no intention to offer ApplePay in Germany?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This was a big one. I'm glad it'll coming this year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jony0 said:
    I'll bet the United Arab Emirates don't have the 100 $ limit that we have here in Canada. Obviously that's not on Apple but on our Big 5 Bank Cartel's trust issues or plain laziness to reprogram the POS terminals to have their NFC distinguish between a plain tap-to-pay card and a smartphone.
    The limit in the U.K. is thirty quid. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    In Australia you can just wave your watch/phone or chip card up to $100AUD. 
    But over that you are prompted for your pin. 
    Its pretty painless (So it’s not really a hard limit) the limit is your credit limit ( or your bank balance if you have it linked to a debit card)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cmaus said:
    They could at least say so if they don't plan to release it here...

Tell me about it, nothing happening in Belgium either so far. Google Pay has been up and running for a year now...
    edited February 2018 watto_cobra