Cellebrite executive insists iPhone unlocking has a 'public safety imperative'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    An amoral Cellebrite claim to be acting in our (collective) best interests whereas they are actually infringing on our right to a private life. Is this even legal in America? My admittedly limited knowledge of the criminal fraternity is that they typically use cheap "burner" phones. Cellebrite's raison d'être is generating profit from others misery.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 42 of 44

You are correct, the right to privacy is not absolute. The challenge is creating the tools to access the information needed without impeding the rights given to you by the Constitution.   

There are no rights given to you anywhere in the U.S. Constitution.  The Constitution protects those rights that are yours by virtue of being born, it doesn't grant or give any at all.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 43 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ...and add Grayshift, a US_based company, as yet another that says they can access the encrypted data on iPhones running iOS11. Cost is 15K/yr for 300 unlocks using their proprietary GrayKey software or $30K/yr for unlimited, with the bonus of working off-line.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 44 of 44
    I am fairly certain that the iPhone 5C was the property of the City of San Bernardino and they likely had some sort of MDM (Mobile Device Management) for their company iPhones.  Pretty stupid not to have MDM if you are issuing phones to employees.  I believe the iPhone 5C was even left at the perpetrators home during the attack.  They were able to crack it because it was not an up to date iOS version.  But I bet if the stupid IT manager at the City of Bernardino hadn't reset the Apple account then the City MDM IT Admin could have simply changed the PIN on the iPhone 5C easily.  Apparently, they didn't find much of anything of interest on the iPhone 5C after cracking it with Cellebrite.  The husband and wife terrorists apparently destroyed all their other computers before launching their attack which is a tell of operational security guidance from AQ/ISIS.  

I am a bit concerned that the 8 / X are being supported by Cellebrite and one other company as that implies they have some ability to unlock the devices without encountering the 10 attempt erase function on the latest iOS version. Setting a very strong 16-20 character passphrase would be highly recommended. If you don't want your iPhone cracked when going through US Customs which by the way can actually seize your phone even if you are a US Citizen and they don't have to give it back. They may ask you to unlock it and hand it over for examination.  I assume they make a forensic image but without the unlock it's a brick.  If you are the type to not give them your unlocked iPhone and/or password then don't exit the country and try to return back with one.  Ship it home if you have to or just buy a burner for your trip, etc.  Or perhaps wipe your iPhone as you exit the plane.  Yup, here you go that's my iPhone.  What do you mean it's not setup? What did you do to my iPhone buddy?  You did something, they don't just wipe themselves out for no reason.  If you have 8-10 hours to kill be my guest.  Be prepared for a body cavity search and to be tailed home.