Initial pre-orders for Samsung Galaxy S9 reportedly down compared to Galaxy S8 sales

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 34
    This next year is going to hurt for Samsung. In the past they were able to retain component orders from others due to the technology advancements made possible by economies of scale realized across their internal product lines. Smartphone components have become so specialized that the technologies are losing portablility to other lines of products, generally speaking. This makes it harder for Samsung to leverage R&D across multiple products. Additionally, Apple can now gaurntee enough business for a long enough duration to make it profitable for Samsung’s competitors to invest in cutting edge component production. This hurts Samsung on two fronts, first it takes away Apple component order dollars from them and second it allows a competitor to supply these components to other would be Samsung customers further reducing Samsung’s return on R&D and infrastructure investments. 2018 is perhaps the last year Samsung will be the leader or sole source for cutting edge components ... it’s all down hill from here. It is ironic in a way that even if Samsung is the first to develop a new technology they will get Samaunged by other component makers who receive Apples business.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,169member
    jsmythe00 said:
    I would not use that crap ,even if Samsung gifted me one. I would ship it right back to them.
    I thought that.. Right up until IPX came out and decided to give the note 8 a try. 

    After three months...IPX and iOS 11 is crap.

    It's been what 5 months and apple IS STILL relaesinf bug fixes. 10 updates to iOS 11 to fix bug after bug.  What did you say about crap
    Even iPhone 5S in my family runs iOS 11 just fine.
    StrangeDaysbb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 216member
     The problem is Android.

     Analysts call Samsung and Apple main competitors but this just isnt true. Samsung’s main competetion is every other Android vendor. Google, Xiomi, Essential, LG, Motorola, etc etc are more likely to take away a Samsung sale than Apple, IMO. 

    Also, what annoys me is that people are comparing the S9/S9+ to the iPhone X when in reality it is priced to compete with the iPh 8/8+. Samsung hacked together an animoji copy and people think this is a X competitor? C’mon. 
    tmayStevenSterkbb-15LukeCagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    clarker99 said:
     The problem is Android.

     Analysts call Samsung and Apple main competitors but this just isnt true. Samsung’s main competetion is every other Android vendor. Google, Xiomi, Essential, LG, Motorola, etc etc are more likely to take away a Samsung sale than Apple, IMO. 

    Also, what annoys me is that people are comparing the S9/S9+ to the iPhone X when in reality it is priced to compete with the iPh 8/8+. Samsung hacked together an animoji copy and people think this is a X competitor? C’mon. 
    The X has more features in a more compact frame too, if Apple decides to pile on the AR features in the bigger X next year, cause they'd have more space to do it, Samsung will have no response.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 8,798member
    jsmythe00 said:
    I would not use that crap ,even if Samsung gifted me one. I would ship it right back to them.
    I thought that.. Right up until IPX came out and decided to give the note 8 a try. 

    After three months...IPX and iOS 11 is crap.

    It's been what 5 months and apple IS STILL relaesinf bug fixes. 10 updates to iOS 11 to fix bug after bug.  What did you say about crap
    Cool story bro. So you’re saying android doesn’t release bug fixes?
    StevenSterkbb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 216member
    foggyhill said:
    clarker99 said:
     The problem is Android.

     Analysts call Samsung and Apple main competitors but this just isnt true. Samsung’s main competetion is every other Android vendor. Google, Xiomi, Essential, LG, Motorola, etc etc are more likely to take away a Samsung sale than Apple, IMO. 

    Also, what annoys me is that people are comparing the S9/S9+ to the iPhone X when in reality it is priced to compete with the iPh 8/8+. Samsung hacked together an animoji copy and people think this is a X competitor? C’mon. 
    The X has more features in a more compact frame too, if Apple decides to pile on the AR features in the bigger X next year, cause they'd have more space to do it, Samsung will have no response.
    At launch, in Canada, the S9/S9+ will get an automatic $150 discount if you trade in your old phone PLUS the trade in value of your old phone. I mean, they devalue their flagship model out if the gate. If Samsung doesnt value their flagship at full retail, why would their customers?

    If/when there is an ‘iPhone killer’ product, I am doubting it will be discounted on day 1. 
    bb-15tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 34
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,198member
    jsmythe00 said:
    I would not use that crap ,even if Samsung gifted me one. I would ship it right back to them.
    I thought that.. Right up until IPX came out and decided to give the note 8 a try. 

    After three months...IPX and iOS 11 is crap.

    It's been what 5 months and apple IS STILL relaesinf bug fixes. 10 updates to iOS 11 to fix bug after bug.  What did you say about crap
    You are so full of it. You don't own an iPhone X. How are those Galaxy Note 8 updates working out for you? Oops, nevermind! You are still on an outdated OS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,823member
    deminsd said:
    There will be a point (and it doesn't matter if it's Android or Apple) that people are going to get tired of shelling out close to $1000 for a phone that is only marginally better than the one they have now.  Before, there were deals and trade-in offers by the carriers that allowed people to get a phone for half price or even free, but now the deals are terrible.  Every thing is "with trade in" and they give you a crappy value for your flagship phone, and then make you wait 24 months to get all your trade-in value.  It will happen with Apple sooner or later when they just start making minor changes and people keep what they have (ie., the iPhone 8).  

    And when that happens Apple can make a fortune selling 200+ million iPhones every year to people upgrading their 3 year old devices.
    With changing your battery you should be able to get 4 or 5 years out of an iPhone.   That's the only reason that Apple sells may fall, if people are getting more out of them, but there will always be fans of the iPhone that will upgrade to the latest.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Sorry to be all 'Grammar Police", but it should be "is also seemingly uninterested in the Galaxy S9" not 'disinterested'. The two words mean different things. 'Disinterested' means unbiased.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    anomeanome Posts: 1,304member
    So now, if Samsung doesn't sell as many units as expected, this is a problem for Apple? Huh?

    Apple sells only slightly more than it did last year - disaster for Apple, and Samsung poised to clean up.

    Samsung sells fewer than last year - a hiccup for Samsung, and maybe disaster for Apple...

    You start to suspect that some of these people are so sold on the idea that Apple will fail, that they just have to keep pushing the line until it comes true.

    What actually happens in each of those scenarios is actually Apple and Samsung both continue to make money hand over fist. Neither is likely to go under in the  next few years, unless Samsung gets done for some of their dodgy business practices, and even then they'll probably keep operating.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 34
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,982member
    anome said:
    So now, if Samsung doesn't sell as many units as expected, this is a problem for Apple? Huh?

    Apple sells only slightly more than it did last year - disaster for Apple, and Samsung poised to clean up.

    Samsung sells fewer than last year - a hiccup for Samsung, and maybe disaster for Apple...

    You start to suspect that some of these people are so sold on the idea that Apple will fail, that they just have to keep pushing the line until it comes true.

    What actually happens in each of those scenarios is actually Apple and Samsung both continue to make money hand over fist. Neither is likely to go under in the  next few years, unless Samsung gets done for some of their dodgy business practices, and even then they'll probably keep operating.
    Apple's least expensive iPhone is $349.00, which is higher than Samsung's highest ever quarterly ASP at $249.00, so I can see a definite profit and revenue share shift to Apple if Samsung has to compete harder for marketshare with the other Android OS handset builders, driving down its ASP further.


    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 34
    We may be seeing in phones the same problem PC makers faced when the desktop OSes matured and HW improvements were not as great between generations- people slowed down upgrading because what they had was “good enough”.

    Most of the people buying smartphones are not the audience here at AI, are not users of many of the leading edge features like AR, etc. They make calls, do email, text, use a few apps like navigation and streaming audio and not much else. What they demand of a smartphone is not much different from what any such device could do a decade ago, yet the price of entry has steadily marched up as Apple and others keep trying to up the average selling price.

    Most consumer electronics get LESS expensive over time- I can remember what a 32” LCD HDTV was $2500, something you can buy today for maybe $250. But the iPhone and Mac have stubbornly stayed high and moved higher- Samsung as an obvious copier of everything Apple does has followed that path. We may be seeing the end of the road for that marketing plan.

    This does not mean there will not be a continuing market for high $ phones, but that the bulk of the market will be shifting to a less expensive but not feature constrained model.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 34
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,189member
    I had my iPhone 4 for 4+ years before upgrading to the iPhone 6, which I'm on my 4th year with that. So nothing has changed. I plan to buy the iPhone XI or whatever Apple calls it this year. I got $202 for that iPhone 4 from T-Mobile. I didn't think I could get $50 for it. My iPhone 6 can be poky, but it's much better speed wise that my iphone 4 was going into it's 4th year.

    That's the thing. You speed a lot of money, you should take care of it. I have a 1997 1100 STX Kawasaki Jetski, in great shape. Well it needs engine work right now, but externally it looks good, and last time I was at the dealer to buy something, one of the people that worked there, said they haven't seen one like mine in such good condition. I'm going why? Paid a lot of money for it. Why do I want to treat it like crap?

    That goes for anything of mine. My new 12.9" iPad pro. Soon as I took it out of Apple's Box, it went right into a nice 2 part case with a built in stand. Plus it slips into another case when I'm carrying it around from place to place. My iPhone 6 is also in a 2 part case with a built in kickstand. I put it in a case right away because it was really slippery to hold and I was really worried about dropping it all the time. I've taken it out a couple times to clean things and I feel the same way, Slippery. I'm in the 4th year with it and it still looks BRAND NEW!!!!

    I feel 4 years is a good amount of time to hold onto your phone. Apple will support it for at least that long with iOS upgrades. Every year it slows down a bit with the new iOS update. Into the 4th major upgrade, it's slow enough by then, you don't want to go a 5th year. If you pay off your phone after 2 years time frame, now you have 2 years of your phone paid off, and so smaller monthly payments for cell service only for 2 years which is nice. You get more value out of your expensive iPhone, then it's time for a upgrade. After 4 years, it's a pretty good upgrade by then. I mean I still don't have 3D Touch as that didn't come until the 6S for example. I think it's silly to upgrade every year, or even really every other year. I sure as hell don't care if people know if I have a iphone or not and what one. When I had my dumb phones in the past, I also held onto those for a long time also. I only had 2 of those, a Nokia and a Motorola Razr.
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.