'Subscribe with Google' attempts to simplify how web readers pay for news

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2018
Google is launching a new initiative to make it easier for users to subscribe to their favorite news sites, without leaving the service, or engaging in a lengthy sign-up process.

The new Subscribe With Google allows users to subscribe to specific news sites with their Google accounts, with Google managing the billing directly. And once users are logged in to Google they will remain logged in to all of their favorite subscription sites.

Google's Jim Albrecht, the product management director, announced the initiative in a blog post Tuesday.

Partners at launch include The New York Times, Washington Post, USA Today, Gannett, McClatchy and Gatehouse Media in the U.S., as well as various other publications- Les Ochos, Fairfax Media, Le Figaro, the Financial Times, Grupo Globo, The Mainichi, La Nacion, NRC Media, Le Parisien, Reforma, la Republica and The Telegraph- in other parts of the world. Among the sites missing from the list is the paywalled Wall Street Journal.

"Paying for a subscription is a clear indication that you value and trust your subscribed publication as a source," Albrecht wrote.

The blog post paints the effort as a culmination of Google's efforts to understand its place in the news ecosystem of today, and Apple has been considering them as well. The Subscribe With Google initiative will also have Google search component.

"So we'll also highlight those sources across Google surfaces, beginning with a dedicated module on Search," said Albrecht in the blog post. "When you search for a news topic for which your subscribed publication has relevant results, we'll showcase these so they're easy for you to see and access-- without disrupting search ranking for the rest of the page."

In his recent talk at South by Southwest in Austin, Apple Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue discussed the topic at length, in talking about Apple News and the recent acquisition of Texture, which had been announced that morning. Cue made clear that Apple favors "in-depth" news, while not necessarily giving consumers the news they want.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    No thanks, I only use google out of obligation.

If Apple has an alternative thats where I'm headed.
    rotateleftbytebaconstangSpamSandwichanton zuykovStrangeDayslamboaudi4monstrosityGeorgeBMacjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    And let me guess--Google will be harvesting what everyone reads and comments on, etc., to add to your "universal identifier" of emails, driving, searches, documents, photos, etc.   Google is evil and some day the masses will wake up to the massive dossiers they are trying to build on every citizen of the world and that is accessible to hackers, intel agencies, governments, etc.   
    tbstephrotateleftbytebaconstanganton zuykovmonstrosityGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,738member
    As long as it’s a voluntary choice I’m ok with this. You should know what the price is they pay. However I can imagine a not so distant future where this “convenient service” is the standard, followed by only option to pay. Same in your favorite coffee shop. Supermarket  transportation. TV.  Medicine. 

I think I’m old fashioned :)
    baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,581member
    Notsofast said:
    And let me guess--Google will be harvesting what everyone reads and comments on, etc., to add to your "universal identifier" of emails, driving, searches, documents, photos, etc.   Google is evil and some day the masses will wake up to the massive dossiers they are trying to build on every citizen of the world and that is accessible to hackers, intel agencies, governments, etc.   
    If you're concerned about "massive dossiers"accessible to whoever Google should be well down on the worry list IMHO. 
  • Reply 5 of 17
    The value of the personal data collected is what drives the price of Google, Facebook and their ilk. I prefer to not make it quite so easy for them to profile me, although I end up leaving my fingerprints all over the web despite of my efforts. Why take their shortcut when they just turn around and sell you?

If I buy a magazine or subscribe to the NYT, it comes with the ads that are targeted to the people who are attracted to buy that magazine/paper and read its content. They might sell their subscription list to others but they can't spy on me and know which articles I read and which ads (if any), that I might be drawn to. I like it that way and I appreciate that Apple has not made data harvesting the keystone of their business model.
    baconstangdewmeGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Nah, I won’t be dealing with Google and I won’t be paying for propaganda. Who is this idea supposed to appeal to, illiterates and people who don’t care about the news?
    baconstangSpamSandwichanton zuykovmonstrositywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    tbstephtbsteph Posts: 95member
    gatorguy said:
    Notsofast said:
    If you're concerned about "massive dossiers"accessible to whoever Google should be well down on the worry list IMHO. 
    Yep. Concerns about Google come right after the government watchers. Yep, way down the list :(  
    baconstanglamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Notsofast said:
    We should just accept that Google probably knows more about us than we do and then stop feeding the dragon. Don't use any google provided service, account or anything.
    It is sad that we have some to this but this thing with Facebook and Cambridge Analytica might just make more people realise how bad things have gotten and if more people stop using Google, FB and the rest of the social media cowboys then we can take back our lives bit by bit.
    If you can't... then lie about everything. not exactly lie but misdirect.
    baconstangGG1GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    AKA, more following Google, no sir buddy. Keep it to yourself.
    baconstangtallest skilGG1lamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Pay for news? My head is already full. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It is sad that we have some to this but this thing with Facebook and Cambridge Analytica might just make more people realise how bad things have gotten and if more people stop using Google, FB and the rest of the social media cowboys then we can take back our lives bit by bit.
    The phrases “Standard Oil” and “Ma Bell” need to be shouted from the fucking rooftops. There is a concerted policy of global social engineering occurring through digital and traditional media outlets, and if the politicians (who benefit from it) won’t break it of their own accord then they need to be broken–physically–right alongside the corporations responsible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    What will they launch next week?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,040member
    Interesting. 

How long until they cancel it?
    baconstangGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,663member
    Is there anything about this that does not reek of profiling? 

I’ll definitely have to sign up for this. But only if I can use my Google credentials to funnel cash payments to the dethroned Nigerian Prince I’m helping recover millions of dollars for, in anticipation of a big chunk of the recovered funds. Sure thing Google. 
    GeorgeBMacGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Interesting. 

How long until they cancel it?

I'd give them a month. Then they'll launch "Android News", which will be cancelled in another month and then they'll launch "News by Google".

The jury's out on what they'll name the next iteration.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The Cambridge Analytica story is highlighting profiling -- which has commonly received a shrug from most people:  "Ok, I like such and such and I believe such and such -- who cares if they know that?  How am I harmed?"

But now we are beginning to understand that that information can be used to shape beliefs and opinions as well as simply collect information.  It has become a two way street and brings a whole other dimension to cyber warfare...

What was it that Spiderman said?  "With great power comes great responsibility"
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,581member
    dewme said:
    Is there anything about this that does not reek of profiling? 

I’ll definitely have to sign up for this. But only if I can use my Google credentials to funnel cash payments to the dethroned Nigerian Prince I’m helping recover millions of dollars for, in anticipation of a big chunk of the recovered funds. Sure thing Google. 
    And unfortunately that's what all the news sources are trending towards, with the obligatory ads that finance it targeted to those interests, even Apple's own Apple News. Most of us end up getting fed what we say we prefer to eat rather than regularly being introduced to "new stuff" that might expand on our understanding and help cut thru the FUD we encounter on a daily basis.   
    edited March 2018