Apple details eGPU support in macOS 10.13.4 High Sierra, notes no Nvidia support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    ascii said:
    It would be nice if Apple sold one of the supported enclosures in the Apple Stores. They probably already have a relationship with Sonnet due to using them for the dev kits.
    They may now. Until last week's release, the feature was in beta. I wouldn't expect massive stock levels, though.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    jwecrossjwecross Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Very disappointed by the lack of TB1 or TB2 support.  Performance is NOT an issue. I run an older AMD 7950 in Akitio Node on a 2012 Mac Mini.  In Windows, I can play current games @ 1920X1200 in high, and sometimes ultra detail at about 60fps.  Synthetic Benchmarks on this setup are only off by about 10% from my 2010 Mac Pro with the same video card, even though the pro had 64GB of RAM and dual 2.93 Hex-core Xeons.  In earlier betas of MacOS and earlier versions of FCP, I could use the eGPU quite well.  I guess that's all down the tubes now too...  Unfortunate, as I just got rid of that Mac Pro as I was getting similar or better performance from the '12 Mini.

I've also run the same eGPU setup from a 2012 Retina MBP 13" successfully.  However, the CPU performance was pathetic compared to the mini.  I was REALLY hoping for official MacOS support, and Boot Camp support for windows.  If it is possible with "hacks" with relatively good end-user experience (though it was a colossal pain in the backside to set up), it should be possible to officially support it.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    jwecross said:
    Very disappointed by the lack of TB1 or TB2 support. 
    I guess they have to move the '16/'17 MBP inventory out somehow...
  • Reply 24 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,904member
    cgWerks said:
    jwecross said:
    As if they're not already moving that inventory...Please don't keep spreading the FUD about how the newer MBP is a failure because it doesn't meet your criteria. 

My guess is that TB1/2 just sucked too much for it to work reliably. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 25 of 39
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    cgWerks said:
    macxpress said:
    cgWerks said:
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    TB1 and TB2 worked in accordance with their max speeds -- until beta 5, and they didn't.
    Yea, this point is really a bummer if using/considering a cylinder Mac Pro or pre-2016 MBP. I wonder if this will change again.
    Perhaps in 10.13.5, maybe it will come back to at least TB2. 
    Yea, hopefully it's a bug or oversight, not a purposeful exclusion!
    Pretty sure it's purposeful. The user experience on TB2 or TB isn't as speedy as Apple might like, I expect.
    It’s a shame.  TB2 worked well enough to be worthwhile.  I wonder if there is a workaround.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    macxpress said:
    cgWerks said:
    jwecross said:
    As if they're not already moving that inventory...Please don't keep spreading the FUD about how the newer MBP is a failure because it doesn't meet your criteria. 

My guess is that TB1/2 just sucked too much for it to work reliably. 
    80% performance is a lot better than built in GPUs. Heck, even TB's 50% performance is a lot better.

As for the MBP, yes you're partly right that *some* of my objection is that it doesn't meet my criteria (and never really did, such as thermal handling capabilities... I've owned a bunch of MBPs over the years, and that has always been an issue), but stuff like the price-hikes for a TouchBar I don't even want, or especially a failure-prone keyboard are deal-killers. (And, is this the first time Apple has discounted machines at much as $1000 at retailers? I don't recall much of that in the past.)

And, I realize in terms of unit numbers they are selling OK... but look how much bigger Apple is now (and more widely accepted). As I said in previous posts, yea, it'a hot-seller for the coffee-shop jockeys. That doesn't mean it's as good or better machine than previous models, or that it doesn't have some critical issues.

It means there are a crowd of 'professionals' with $ to spend to buy the fashionable thing, whether that was a MacBook, a MacBook Air, a MBP, or a Dell XPS 13. A MBP is now nearly a stock-issued device for a huge percentage of professional tech workers... they aren't buying for the same reasons I did back when I was buying them.

Or, to put it more succinctly, current MBP sales success is an effect, not a cause.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 27 of 39
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    alandail said:
    What can you do with VR headsets on the Mac?  I got a Vive to use with my iMac pro, but there doesn’t see to be any compatible software.

... "doesn't seem to be"?

Final Cut Pro X, SteamVR, Epic Unreal 4 Editor, Unity Editor, Adobe After Effects & Premiere & Mettle Skybox, Mocha VR, 
    VR Desktop, Vuze VR Studio...

• Reply 28 of 39
    This could hopefully be part of the future Apple display with built in GPU. So you could get the portability of a MBP when on the move and the performance and display of an iMac Pro when home at the desk. 
  • Reply 29 of 39
    nbuchert said:
    This could hopefully be part of the future Apple display with built in GPU. So you could get the portability of a MBP when on the move and the performance and display of an iMac Pro when home at the desk. 
    Seems like you'd be better served with an upgradeable eGPU box versus a built-in (ie soldered) GPU unit.
    Haplo
  • Reply 30 of 39
    nbuchert said:
    Seems like you'd be better served with an upgradeable eGPU box versus a built-in (ie soldered) GPU unit.
    Yeah, and I hope in this case Apple doesn't act as much like in the past and put out such a product (which does seem quite an Apple thing to do) and then start limiting the alternatives.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    cgWerks said:
    nbuchert said:
    Yeah, and I hope in this case Apple doesn't act as much like in the past and put out such a product (which does seem quite an Apple thing to do) and then start limiting the alternatives.
    I feel like they would've done that right now if they were going to. Or, they would've only allow blessed boxes in the form of their displays with integrated GPU. The fact they did eGPU in the OS the way they did makes me think that they're addressing the needs of the pro market  (again! see!) without a pony in the race other than customer needs in this case — which in large part is to allow a wider segment to access VR. They don't make graphics cards, and they sure as hell don't care about making a $300 empty expansion box. 
  • Reply 32 of 39
    ryong78ryong78 Posts: 1member
    I cannot understand why Apple doesn't support rx 560. I ALREADY BUYED SONNET RX 560 PUCK!
  • Reply 33 of 39
    fastasleep said:
    I feel like they would've done that right now if they were going to. Or, they would've only allow blessed boxes in the form of their displays with integrated GPU. The fact they did eGPU in the OS the way they did makes me think that they're addressing the needs of the pro market  (again! see!) without a pony in the race other than customer needs in this case — which in large part is to allow a wider segment to access VR. They don't make graphics cards, and they sure as hell don't care about making a $300 empty expansion box. 
    Yeah, I just said that in light of the eGPU support being narrowed down. One wonders how much more it will tighten up.

|   Case in point...
    V
    ryong78 said:
    I cannot understand why Apple doesn't support rx 560. I ALREADY BUYED SONNET RX 560 PUCK!

• Reply 34 of 39
    xsmixsmi Posts: 140member
    ascii said:
    It would be nice if Apple sold one of the supported enclosures in the Apple Stores. They probably already have a relationship with Sonnet due to using them for the dev kits.
    They may now. Until last week's release, the feature was in beta. I wouldn't expect massive stock levels, though.
    Not yet. I’ve been looking. And the people who work there have no clue if they ever will. 
  • Reply 35 of 39
    HaploHaplo Posts: 1member
    nbuchert said:
    Using blender on an iMac with an eGPU boarded Nvidia 8 Gig card out of the box (no hacks), imagine what a marriage that would be and what great offspring that would give. My wish for 2018.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Haplo said:
    Using blender on an iMac with an eGPU boarded Nvidia 8 Gig card out of the box (no hacks), imagine what a marriage that would be and what great offspring that would give. My wish for 2018.
    Huh? I thought Nvidia wasn't supported.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    cgWerks said:
    Haplo said:
    Huh? I thought Nvidia wasn't supported.
    It isn't, that's why Haplo is imagining what a marriage that would be.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    It isn't, that's why Haplo is imagining what a marriage that would be.
    Thanks. Wow, I read that sentence wrong. <embarrassed>
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Of course it's purposeful. It blows my mind the number of naive people in the world. This is obviously not a bug, that would be completely ridiculous. There is a reason for it. You just don't know it. We can guess, usually it's, in some way, in their self interest obviously. Most of the time nobody who does things that others don't like is going to tell you why they did that thing. They just do it, come up with some B.S. reason or nothing at all. Grow up.
    edited May 2018