Latest Apple Maps update includes indoor mapping for Sydney airport, more

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2018
Apple is ever-evolving the coverage of Maps features such as public transit directions, bringing them to more regions in the U.S. and abroad. Here's some of the latest additions, indicating the company's progress.

Apple Maps on iPhone X

April 26

• Indoor airport maps for Edinburgh (EDI), Sydney International (SYD) & Hamad International (DOH) in Doha, Qatar
Apple's airport maps let people search for gates, bathrooms, security checkpoints, and other points of interest. Users can also get details on businesses operating in a terminal, and ask for on-foot navigation using Apple's indoor positioning technology.

April 17

• Lane guidance in Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Ireland & Poland
Lane guidance ensures that drivers find the proper lane for an upcoming turn or exit when using in-car navigation.

April 11

• Public transit for state of Tennessee (Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, etc.)
Apple Maps in Nashville

Apple identifies transit routes by number, color, and/or service logo, and provides information on departure times, ETAs, and any walking required to get to a station.

April 2

Apple Maps in its current incarnation originated in 2012, when the company decided to jettison all Google-related content from the iOS Maps app. The company was immediately hit with blowback, since the app not only lost Google's public transit directions but often contained missing or inaccurate data -- so much so that some early adopters got dangerously lost.

Since then the company has solved most major problems, for instance restoring transit directions with 2015's iOS 9. Google Maps however, has much wider transit coverage if not as specific in areas, plus some features Apple lacks, such as Street View.

More recently, A months-long test of the three leading car navigation apps -- Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze -- found that Apple's software regularly overestimates trip times in an "intentionally conservative" manner, which may help drivers arrive on time or even early.

"If you want to get to your destination most quickly, use Google Maps," study executor Artur Grabowski said. "If you want an accurate prediction from your navigation app to help you arrive at your destination on time, use Apple Maps. If thinking you'll get to your destination quickly helps to ease your commuter anxiety, use Waze."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Cool.  Now maybe the next thing would be to give it the real-time route-finding capabilities that Waze has had for 8 years.  
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sdw2001 said:
    Cool.  Now maybe the next thing would be to give it the real-time route-finding capabilities that Waze has had for 8 years.  
    I haven’t used Waze and don’t use navigation that often, but when I do use Maps for navigation it isn’t uncommon to get a message while in-route saying something along the lines of “You can save 12 minutes by following this alternate route” with buttons to accept or decline the alternate. Sometimes this has been to avoid an accident on the highway, other times it’s more opaque, but it definitely occurs. 

Is this different than what you are referring to?
    sessamoidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    sdw2001 said:
    I haven’t used Waze and don’t use navigation that often, but when I do use Maps for navigation it isn’t uncommon to get a message while in-route saying something along the lines of “You can save 12 minutes by following this alternate route” with buttons to accept or decline the alternate. Sometimes this has been to avoid an accident on the highway, other times it’s more opaque, but it definitely occurs. 

Is this different than what you are referring to?
    In fact, I just had this happen this morning. Maps suggested a route considerably different than the one I usually take for this weekly trip, which I thought was strange. I followed the recommended route, though. On the way back (inbound), it routed me back the usual way, and I got to see why the outbound route was altered. A large power pole and line was downed in the street in what would have been my outbound route, and traffic was backed up as far as I could see.
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    sdw2001 said:
    This already happens, the fact is Apple Maps has increased at faster rate than Google Maps whether people want to admit it or not. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Finally, I'll be able to find my way from Gloria Jean's to Newslink...

OK, bad example. Much more useful working out where the departure gates in T1 are.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    If only we could zoom out with the use of just one hand!!!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    Zoom in: Double tap. Zoom out: Two finger tap.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 525member
    In the last two years I found Apple Maps as accurate and good at navigating me around issues as Google. Two years ago, even one, I’d have used Google Maps when I was in a hurry. Kudos to the Apple Maps team. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I haven't used it in a while.  Does Apple Maps have voice navigation yet?  Last time I checked, how long ago I don't remember, it did not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I haven't used it in a while.  Does Apple Maps have voice navigation yet?  Last time I checked, how long ago I don't remember, it did not.
    Yes, for quite some time. My guess is at least 5 or 6 years now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    sdw2001 said:
    It's had that for over two years.  (So has Google Maps). This is the problem-there's so much fake news and misinformation floating about the internet.   Try Apple Maps, you'll like it.  I've used all three, and travel around the country much more than most people. There's a reason AM is used BIILLIONS of times a week.  People wouldn't use a mapping app if it wasn't accurate and met their needs-there are many alternatives to Apple Maps if it didn't meet their needs,, all free and can be downloaded in less than a minute.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra