Bloomberg butchers Samsung OLED statements to portray iPhone X as weak

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Apple is the world’s largest listed company by market cap. They have to provide guidance to investors a quarter ahead. If the numbers are not within guidance (especially to the downside), the CFO has to make a public announcement or he could face civil and/or criminal lawsuits for withholding material information that could impact the stock price upon its disclosure. Whether they will be punished for lapses is another matter; case in point is Equifax. A senior executive was charged for insider trading prior to the public announcement of the data breach. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/business/equifax-executive-insider-trading.html

Several other senior executives also had suspicious trades. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-equifax-insider-trading-20170908-story.html

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    It seems that Bloomberg has indeed crossed the rubicon from an impartial observer to a fully fledged 'Apple Hater' company. The plethora of basically anti-Apple articles in recent months leads me to believe that.
    I'd fully expect that their article lambasting Apple's next Quarter results has already been written and approved by senior management and lawyers.

Once upon a time Bloomberg were a respected company but to me they have lost all that credibility in recent months. Has there been a major change at the top of the company in recent months?
     Bloomberg’s Apple coverage is now spearheaded by Mark Gurman, a noted Pro Troll. he’s bitter on Apple. 
    What I don't understand is, if he's such a hater on Apple, why do people credit his "inside sources" on new hardware? From some reporters, details leaked via Gurman seem to be given extra credence. He's getting good intelligence on Apple's product line, but spends the rest of his time trying to tank the stock? That looks suspicious to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    k2kw said:

I'd like to see Apple's staff make their predictions and publicly track how they do (along with all these 3rd party analysts).   Track two predictions be for Earnings release ; one made one month be fore the earnings call and one 3-5 days before the earnings call.

Why? They never claimed to be analysts. They are journalists and DED does a fine job of investigating and then reporting.

Are you willing to fund it?

edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    More fake news from Bloomberg.

Bloomberg is not currently nor will they get my money to pay for their services nor get me to part with my Apple shares.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:

I'd like to see Apple's staff make their predictions and publicly track how they do (along with all these 3rd party analysts).   Track two predictions be for Earnings release ; one made one month be fore the earnings call and one 3-5 days before the earnings call.

Why? They never claimed to be analysts. They are journalists and DED does a fine job of investigating and then reporting.

I would call everyone else at AI a journalist.   DED is more of an advocate.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    k2kw said:

You don't have to be an analyst to make a guess.   

In terms of tracking this these projections and Keeping track of their own projects.   They already report on a lot of these projections. All they have to do is put it in a table. 
  • Reply 27 of 31
    LukeCage said:
    [...] forecasting into to future years or even months out is very complicated process.
    Also known as gambling!

There are good long-term bets to be had in technology -- betting on Apple when they bought NeXT/Rhapsody and it was clear that Jobs planned to rebuild Mac OS from the ground up was a good bet. Betting on or against Apple based on a bunch of ephemeral financial data that may or may not mean anything in relation to Apple itself is something else entirely.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 31
    anome said:
     Bloomberg’s Apple coverage is now spearheaded by Mark Gurman, a noted Pro Troll. he’s bitter on Apple. 
    What I don't understand is, if he's such a hater on Apple, why do people credit his "inside sources" on new hardware? From some reporters, details leaked via Gurman seem to be given extra credence. He's getting good intelligence on Apple's product line, but spends the rest of his time trying to tank the stock? That looks suspicious to me.
    Gurman doesn't provide much "good intelligence" on Apple's products. He rounds up old rumors and adds a few details, often "code names" of projects that nobody could verify outside of the people inside Apple who don't talk about those details. He has also joined a few other sources in working to spoil Apple's events, leaking some details pointlessly days or hours before Apple announces them. There's no value to that apart from trying to inflict damage.

It's unlikely Gurman actually has any intent to "tank" Apple stock. More likely, he's fed details (true or not) from people who want to repress the stock value so they can buy on panic and sell on recovery. We have historically gotten lots of such "tips." Gurman does create simplistic narratives that are either evidence of incredible ignorance of how things actually work, or are maliciously crafted propaganda. He has no background in working in tech, so the former is more likely than pure deviousness, but he also has a really negative slant that is generally only expressed for Apple, and that's clear in how he approaches every story about the company. A mix of ignorance and embitterment. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    k2kw said:
    For once i would like to see DED come out with his prediction of how the iPhoneX is doing ?   How much revenue will Apple pull in this quarter?   How many phones will be sold.    What will be the ASP?   And what percentage of phones where the iPhoneX?   Will the iPhoneX be the still be the big seller?

Same for iPads, Computers, and HomePods.

And how will Apple do in the next year?   Will sales in Fiscal year 2019 be better or worse than 2020 when the second generation of Apple OLED phones come out.

Its easy being a critic and attacking others in hindsight.

I'm not criticizing a projection because Bloomberg isn't making a projection.

Mark Gurman is selectively picking up ideas to create bullshit logic to support a narrative that is not really supported by any facts, and contradicted by clear facts. 

The fact my reporting this upsets you sort of reveals a lot about you.

I find Gurman's narrative similar to your counter Narrative.   I guess that's why he didn't make a prediction either.   If sales come in at $60 Billion  he can always say the would have been $64 Billion "if ...  "

Likewise if Apple comes in at $56 Billion you can say that you you were pushing back against the German's implication that revenue would be closer $50 Billion.

I'm willing to predict 50 Million iPhone sales bringing in $37Billion.   iPhoneX sales as strong as iPhone 8. If Apple sales are negatively hurt by battery replacements it will probably be with iPhone 8 and earlier models. People who want an X will get an X. HomePod will add almost $2 Billion to Other Products.   Total $59 -$61 Billion.  It would be nice if I was too low because my Apple stock is down and i would like for it go over $200.

AppleInsider has other great journalists that I find are actually more fair, balanced, and professional even when they favor Apple products as one would  expect.  The videos comparing iPhone X to the Samsung S9 have very good.   Sometimes your tone is too BreitBart-esque even when you are very knowledgable and right.   Trump has encouraged attacks on the media.   Please don't follow along.

And yes I think Apple phones are better than android.    I've had two work issued Android phones.   The original Droid X which was horrible and the original Moto X had a nice feel to hold. I've had two iPhone 4S, two iPhone 5S, an SE, a 7Plus, and and 8Plus.     I still prefer the iPhones even if I wish Siri was much better.   Cook made a great move with the new guy coming over from Google.

• Reply 30 of 31
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I could tell this would be a Daniel Eran Dilger editorial just by reading the heading.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    For once i would like to see DED come out with his prediction of how the iPhoneX is doing ?   How much revenue will Apple pull in this quarter?   How many phones will be sold.    What will be the ASP?   And what percentage of phones where the iPhoneX?   Will the iPhoneX be the still be the big seller?

Same for iPads, Computers, and HomePods.

And how will Apple do in the next year?   Will sales in Fiscal year 2019 be better or worse than 2020 when the second generation of Apple OLED phones come out.

Its easy being a critic and attacking others in hindsight.

I'm not criticizing a projection because Bloomberg isn't making a projection.

Mark Gurman is selectively picking up ideas to create bullshit logic to support a narrative that is not really supported by any facts, and contradicted by clear facts. 

The fact my reporting this upsets you sort of reveals a lot about you.

I find Gurman's narrative similar to your counter Narrative.   I guess that's why he didn't make a prediction either.   If sales come in at $60 Billion  he can always say the would have been $64 Billion "if ...  "
    And as others have tried to explain to you, neither Gurman nor Dilger are financial analysts trying to make predictions. As Dilger pointed out, Gurman took a bit of info, and then misinterpreted it. He believes deliberately, and makes a case for it.

Now that Apple's earnings are out, I guess we know who was right and who was wrong. Yes, Dilger was 100% right, and Gurman was 100% wrong.