Apple 'an amazing company' says Microsoft's Bill Gates

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Please explain why there are these cycles of stories praising Apple, followed by nothing but stories dumping on the company. They sure do seem to come out in lockstep with the highly polarized coverage in the so-called mainstream press.
    It is how it has been for at least the last decade, and likely how it always shall be.
    I think it might turn.  When Apple had only the Mac versus the market share of Windows, back in the 90s and first half of the 2000s, Apple was an easy target.  With iOS market share at a small fraction of Android, again, an easy target.

But Tim Cook has begun to show the world, with the numbers he tosses out regarding growth of Apple’s Services segment, that the important numbers aren’t about market share but about installed base.  Apple’s installed base, because of the longer lifespan of its products, represents very well against the competition.  iOS is becoming the standard where that means anything, and that means it’s harder for the critics to sound credible, and with more and more people moving to iOS, there are proportionally fewer critics to deliver their message.  The tide is turning, an inflection point is near.  There will come a day where Android, justifiably, will be the whipping boy of the industry.  And it might not take long for that day to arrive.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 42 of 51

Despite the back & forth battle between Jobs & Gates it was just business as usual for competing companies. You can have a good friendly relationship with someone, but when it comes to business with that same friend it can becomes war, but they can still have respect for or from their competitors because both are pursuing the same dream, but in a different way. This is also important as well because it makes the competing companies strive to be better then the other which in turn benefits us the customer. Jobs & Gates were a genius in their own rights. Each had ideals & pursued them passionately. It just saddened me that we will never know what Steve Jobs would have pictured for us for the future. Not saying that Apple is not doing a good job now, just would have been great not to lose such a legend & have gotten the chance to know what his idealistic view of the future of Apple was for him. It is nice to have a article that shines praise on Apple every now & then. Apple is held to such high standards that it gets ridiculous & tiring of all the stupid negativity that the news spits out. Apple is not perfect, but what company is. At least Apple try’s it's best to provide quality product for it’s customer that works intuitively. Yes I am a Apple fan, but I am also not blind to their shortcomings. Hope for another glorious 20 years or more for Apple. INC. At least Steve Jobs made some of his dreams come true despite all the hardships & challenges. “He made his mark in the Universe.” 
    I think Steve Jobs vision for the future of Apple was.... Tim Cook.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Obviously Gates isn’t wrong but he’s best buds with Buffett and was at a a Berkshire event. Berkshire owns like 5% of Apple. I wouldn’t expect Gates to say anything else.
    Gates is friends with Buffett because they have some common views and mutual respect.  I doubt Gates is a man who, at this stage of his life, would simply kow tow to his friend to keep the peace.  He made some very specific statements, which betray his own thoughts about Apple, a company he has known intimately as a major competitor, for decades.  
  • Reply 44 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I watched the interview several times and I came away thinking Gates' fixed grin was painful to watch and he was there simply because his good friend Warren Buffet had asked him to be there and say nice things when asked. 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 45 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MacPro said:
    I watched the interview several times and I came away thinking Gates' fixed grin was painful to watch and he was there simply because his good friend Warren Buffet had asked him to be there and say nice things when asked. 
    Ha! A bit awkward when Berkshire continues to add to their already massive AAPL position... you don’t hear Buffet crowing about Microsoft these days!
  • Reply 46 of 51
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    elfig2012 said:
    Apple shares will always be underestimated by the Wall Street boys because they focus not on the company but on what they may gain!
    Just like all publicly traded companies.  People buy stock based on how they think the company will perform in the future - resulting in either dividends (so-called "income" stocks) or higher stock prices (so-called "growth" stocks).  But it's all based on expectations.  That's why analyst reports are always called "forward looking" and why the stock market is considered a "leading indicator".

And what happens when reality doesn't live up to the expectation?  The stock price shifts to align with the reality (tempered possibly by expectations for the future from that point forward).  Which is why it is called a "correction" - the price goes to where it would have gone if the expectations had been more accurate.

And yes, a correction can mean a price increase if the analysts predicted performance worse than the reality turned out to be.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 47 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don’t know about anyone else, but all the posts from all my tabbed forums have disappeared. This post of mine is the only post here, even though it shows three pages of posts. I can’t say for certain if it happened right after my latest beta update the other day or not. At first, I thought it was just an AI problem, but the posts in my arstechnica forums have gone too.

i’ve tried swiping safari closed, but that didn’t work. Then I closed my iPad down with the closedown procedure, and then starting up again. That don’t wok either.

so, I’m at a loss.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    melgross said:
    I don’t know about anyone else, but all the posts from all my tabbed forums have disappeared. This post of mine is the only post here, even though it shows three pages of posts. I can’t say for certain if it happened right after my latest beta update the other day or not. At first, I thought it was just an AI problem, but the posts in my arstechnica forums have gone too.

i’ve tried swiping safari closed, but that didn’t work. Then I closed my iPad down with the closedown procedure, and then starting up again. That don’t wok either.

so, I’m at a loss.
    That sounds like a Safari or macOS issue.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    melgross said:
    All I can say is that this thread seems normal to me.  I would start by looking at local caches (try purging them), authentication (try log-out/log-in, maybe wipe cookies) or a malfunctioning proxy (if you run one, see if you can reset/purge it).

Good luck.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:

so, I’m at a loss.
    melgross said:

so, I’m at a loss.
    shamino said:
    melgross said:
    All I can say is that this thread seems normal to me.  I would start by looking at local caches (try purging them), authentication (try log-out/log-in, maybe wipe cookies) or a malfunctioning proxy (if you run one, see if you can reset/purge it).

Good luck.
    Found the problem. It’s an interection between the new beta and my Ad blocker. I use the blocker on and off. I recently turned it back on because of those Amazon $1,000 gifts supposedly being given. Don’t know if it’s real or not, but it’s annoying. On some sites, as soon as I go to the site, that comes on, and the only way to get rid of it is to close the tab for the site.  MacDailyNews is notorious for having Ads like this, and I couldn’t get in. Other sites are having the problem too. So I turned the blocker on again hoping this crap would stop after a while, and I could remove the blocker again.

i don’t like to block Ads, overall for most sites, but the fact is that junk like that makes the internet almost impossible to endure, so it’s necessary. And you really can’t turn it off and on with every site you go to. It’s just too much to ask. Anyway, I have it off for now. I’ll see what happens when I go to them, and the other sites I’m having a problem with.

what happened was that every forum was cut off. Every one, on every site, no matter how they’re implemented. Whether that’s by design from the sites, or whether there’s some bug from Apple. I do know that some sites cut you off if you do use a blocker, even if you got it set to only cut trackers and a few other problematic things.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 51 of 51
    melgross said:
    Found the problem. It’s an interection between the new beta and my Ad blocker.
    what happened was that every forum was cut off. Every one, on every site, no matter how they’re implemented. Whether that’s by design from the sites, or whether there’s some bug from Apple. I do know that some sites cut you off if you do use a blocker, even if you got it set to only cut trackers and a few other problematic things.
    Apple Insider isn't banning ad blockers.  I run AdBlock Plus in Firefox and have no problems with it here.

Does your ad blocker have a way to see which rules have been triggered by a site?  If one rule is being overly aggressive, you may be able to disable it without shutting down the entire service.