Apple must fight $15.3B EU tax bill without US government help, court says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    ascii said:
    China historically built a wall to keep the mongolians OUT, they didn't invade and conquer them, it's a totally different view on life.

Why did China just complete sea trials with their first domestically produced aircraft carrier then? That is a power projection platform, not a defensive one.

Re: the EU excluding the US government from arguing within their court system, that is their right (if they think it's consistent with the law over there) but realistically they can't prevent the US taking punitive measures elsewhere (such as next time a trade deal comes up). It seems short sighted of them to go after one big cash grab at the cost of annoying the US in the long run. The US has a long memory.
    The US is already annoyed with the EU. Hence the current problems. Trump thinks the trade deficit is too big. He also complains about the difficulties of getting agricultural products into the EU. He may have a point in some areas but he should get it into his head that there are many food related items that are deemed fit for consumption in the US but not permitted in the EU and the first step should be compliance. The same applies to Apple, Ireland and the EU. We need to wait and see what comes out of all this but personally I consider Apple broke with the spirit of the law when it took some of the decisions that were apparently made. Now we have to wait and see what emerges during the case and which way it finally leans.

If it is confirmed that Apple paid ridiculously small amounts in taxes (even if legal), they better ready themselves for the storm. That will be inevitable.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 65
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    The EU leeches are at it again.They are destroying Europe little by little.
    Have you ever been to Europe? 
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 23 of 65

nunzy said:
    It is good to see the US Government stepping in to help corporations to keep their offshore profits. Exxon could use help with paying less tax too.
    Really? How does companies like Exxon need help to save money? How does and international corporation need the help of the US Government which you realize is funded by US taxpayers? I know I will not see a penny from Exxon's profits. Corporate love such a brainwashed country we live in. 
    singularitymuthuk_vanalingamnunzy
  • Reply 24 of 65

Kuyangkoh said:
    EU what?? Apple is simply following your tax laws. What a bunch of rip off.
    when war comes to your door, America should be charging them for any help and protection...i will call it “protection revenue enhancement” not taxes 
    Are you referring to an American create war like the invasion of Iraq? The US propelled it's status in the world post WW2 by establishing deep business connections and diplomatic ties, not to mention military bases in several nations. US capitalism exploded following the end of that was it is US capitalist who should be grateful to Europe. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 65

The US could always stop paying into the WTO. That'd end some of this nonsense. 

2015 contribution amounts:  https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/secre_e/contrib_e.htm
    There is a little box which people and counties sometime crawl into and close shut from the inside. This way they don't have to deal with things that are too complex or frighten them. You are free to find that box, feel "safe" and unchallenged in your beliefs. The rest of us prefer to take the world around us as crazy and maddening at times as it is and enjoy the challenge of navigating through it. 
  • Reply 26 of 65

Dear EU,

Fuck you. And don’t ask for our money from our taxpayers,  in case if war come to your door. 

Sincerely,
    The Citizens of the United States of America
    US Taxpayers do not pay taxes for US corporations making profits in foreign nations. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 65

elijahg said:
    The EU's already deeply unpopular, and yet they snub their and other country's citizens again, and again, and again ad nauseam. 
    I love Europe and think the EU was a great change. Did you ever go to Europe before and or after the EU was formed? 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 65

Fuck you. And don’t ask for our money from our taxpayers,  in case if war come to your door. 
    We give them something like $12,000,000 in tax dollars every year. That’s not including us paying 100% of NATO’s budget (which shouldn’t exist).
    How much aid money does the US give Pakistan? Answer:  Between 2002–2010, US Congress approved $18 billion
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 29 of 65

elijahg said:
    tallest skil said:

That’s not including us paying 100% of NATO’s budget (which shouldn’t exist).
    That's complete rubbish, the US pays about 22%.  There are plenty that pay barely anything though, and that's wrong. Especially the Eastern European states who benefit from NATO's protection from Putin.
    NATO protects the US's financial interest, do your homework. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 65

adm1 said:
    elijahg said:
    That's complete rubbish, the US pays about 22%.  There are plenty that pay barely anything though, and that's wrong. Especially the Eastern European states who benefit from NATO's protection from Putin.
    Thanks, I’d mistaken it for something else. The takeaway is the following line: In fact, only five of the 28 NATO allies have made the grade. The US picks up all that shortfall.
    Ever wonder why the US is willing to pay more than their fair share? Who's supplying all of these smaller Nato alliance countries with the "defence" systems that they apparently "need" against the big bad ruskies or the evil chinese that we keep hearing about in MSM. I'd like to see Trump go all out with America-First and stop all overseas funding and start a trade-war, then see how things pan out. 
    Russia has always been in an arms-race with the US and will continue to be until both countries see sense (or one runs out of money). China on the other hand does not have the same goals that the US (and previously Great Britain) has - China historically built a wall to keep the mongolians OUT, they didn't invade and conquer them, it's a totally different view on life.
    Ha Ha Ha... the world is so economically entwined that a "trade war" would hit you faster than you could wave Old Glory. Watch oil prices skyrocket this year after being at record lows for the past several, why because someone with power yet clueless to his uninformed and impulsive actions will bring has destabilized the mid-east further. 
  • Reply 31 of 65

joogabah said:
    steven n. said:
    The EU needs to exhort and make up laws and apply them expo-facto style to pay for their nearly backrupt social programs. With the exception of Germany, almost every country in the Union is on the brink of failure.
    Does that fill you with glee?  The prospect of the gutting of social programs?   I know they offend some people ideologically.  What is it about capitalism that makes some people revel in the misery of the “losers”?
    Good question. Part of our society needs someone to blame for their disappointing lives, failures and loss of control. Those poorer and weaker are the prime targets each time. The reality is the people pulling the strings, the monopolistic corporations and the politicians that serve them are the culprits. The masses have been convinced that trickle down economics will save them, the reality not all boats rise with the tide of corporate profits. 
  • Reply 32 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    adm1 said:
    Ever wonder why the US is willing to pay more than their fair share?
    Because we’re not. The government doing something has no reflection on what the people want.
    I'd like to see Trump go all out with America-First and stop all overseas funding and start a trade-war, then see how things pan out.
    Agreed, but we’re not going to undo the last 70 years overnight. Or during his tenure, for that matter.
    China historically built a wall to keep the mongolians OUT
    And that wall was clearly racist.  ;)
    viclauyyc said:
    if US want
    Again, the government doing something has no reflection on what the people want.
    joogabah said:
    Does that fill you with glee?  The prospect of the gutting of social programs?
    Yep. Fuck communism.
    What is it about capitalism that makes some people revel in the misery of the “losers”?
    The thing about it is that you have no comprehension of what “capitalism” is, in any respect whatsoever. Go ahead. Define “capitalism.” Seriously, do it. You’re railing against minarchism. For whatever reason, you don’t like the idea of people being responsible for their own lives. Maybe you were raised on the delusion that actions don’t have consequences. Maybe you were told “you’re not intelligent enough” to be free, and so you have to give up your life to the control of your “betters.” I don’t care about the reason necessarily, you’re just wrong for believing it because it’s wrong itself. I have never understood why it is “greed” to want to keep the money you’ve earned but not greed to want to take someone else’s.
    xbit said:
    Ireland acted unlawfully
    Not by their own laws, right? And there’s a thing about setting a new precedent of retroactively applied laws that the EU might want to worry about here...
    spice-boy said:
    How much aid money does the US give Pakistan? Answer:  Between 2002–2010, US Congress approved $18 billion
    You think I like that, either? The thread’s not about Pakistan.
    spice-boy said:
    Ha Ha Ha... the world is so economically entwined that a "trade war" would hit you faster than you could wave Old Glory.
    The USA is the least “globally-integrated” nation as a percentage of GDP. We’re a net food exporter. And we have more fuel stocks in reserve than most countries have food reserves. Never mind the US Navy and two oceans. Start something. Please. I beg you. We can wait you out.
    Watch oil prices skyrocket this year after being at record lows for the past several
    Yeah, that’s totally not Saudi Arabia’s fault or anything.
    someone with power yet clueless to his uninformed and impulsive actions
    You’re in for a fun six years.
    edited May 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 33 of 65
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    xbit said:
    Ireland acted unlawfully
    Not by their own laws, right? And there’s a thing about setting a new precedent of retroactively applied laws that the EU might want to worry 

Wrong and that's the basis of the case. The EU is saying that Ireland had a deal with Apple that was against their own laws and the treaty they had signed with all the other countries in the EU.

• Reply 34 of 65
    Apple like many other multinationals is moving profits and IP to low tax rate havens and avoiding paying the tax most other companies have to. A good example is the billions Apple is holding outside the US and negotiating a low tax rate with congress to repatriate it (preferential treatment anyone). Apple make very little in the states transfer IP to Ireland and charge royalties to itself from Ireland to avoid paying US or EU tax rates I would have thought any patriotic American would be upset about that!?!
    edited May 2018 spice-boy
  • Reply 35 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple like many other multinationals is moving profits and IP to low tax rate havens and avoiding paying the tax most other companies have to. A good example is the billions Apple is holding outside the US and negotiating a low tax rate with congress to repatriate it (preferential treatment anyone). Apple make very little in the states transfer IP to Ireland and charge royalties to itself from Ireland to avoid paying US or EU tax rates I would have thought any patriotic American would be upset about that!?!
    Despite your slur against Americans and Apple supporters, companies are required by their shareholders to take legal measures to maximize profitability. Offshoring IP and engaging in complex accounting procedures and using international laws to do this is a reasonable thing to do for Apple, a company in a position to exploit these laws. All perfectly legal. The EU is the entity that is in shambles because they can't get their members to abide by their own loosely cobbled together regulations.
    edited May 2018 tallest skil
  • Reply 36 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Offshoring IP and engaging in complex accounting procedures and using international laws to do this is a reasonable thing to do for Apple, a company in a position to exploit these laws. All perfectly legal. 
    Yep and I think people who advocate the government side in this are operating from the assumption that it will benefit society more if the government has that money rather than Apple. But will it?

Apple actually invests a lot in projects to benefit the community (such as their clean energy programs). And being a private entity spending their own money, they probably make those dollars go further for society than a hypothetical government department would.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ascii said:
    Offshoring IP and engaging in complex accounting procedures and using international laws to do this is a reasonable thing to do for Apple, a company in a position to exploit these laws. All perfectly legal. 
    Yep and I think people who advocate the government side in this are operating from the assumption that it will benefit society more if the government has that money rather than Apple. But will it?

Apple actually invests a lot in projects to benefit the community (such as their clean energy programs). And being a private entity spending their own money, they probably make those dollars go further for society than a hypothetical government department would.
    Taking that a step further, it's not Apple's job to benefit society. It's their job to provide something people want (legally) and make a profit. That's all. If they can provide additional things to customers which don't harm customers or their business, so much the better. But they aren't obligated to do anything beyond basic business functions.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    It’s funny how all the septic tanks seem to be up in arms over the EU saying pay what is due, but have completely missed the issue, Apple like many other multinationals is moving profits and IP to low tax rate havens and avoiding paying the tax most other companies have to. A good example is the billions Apple is holding outside the US and negotiating a low tax rate with congress to repatriate it (preferential treatment anyone). Apple make very little in the states transfer IP to Ireland and charge royalties to itself from Ireland to avoid paying US or EU tax rates I would have thought any patriotic American would be upset about that!?!
    Despite your slur against Americans and Apple supporters, companies are required by their shareholders to take legal measures to maximize profitability. Offshoring IP and engaging in complex accounting procedures and using international laws to do this is a reasonable thing to do for Apple, a company in a position to exploit these laws. All perfectly legal. The EU is the entity that is in shambles because they can't get their members to abide by their own loosely cobbled together regulations.
    Wow "slur against Americans and Apple supporters"??? How do you support Apple, buy its products and services and defend them as if they ever asked for or need your help. Washington has a constant woody for corporate donations, their masters not the average US citizen. If you believe that most corporate profits are sitting in US banks you have know idea how the super rich live. "dear Senator glad the 20 million which I hid in a super pac got you re-elcted to the Hill, now I want you to write and pass tax laws that favor me and my other billionaire buddies, if not I'll find another candidate to run against and defeat you.". 
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 39 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    ascii said:

Taking that a step further, it's not Apple's job to benefit society. It's their job to provide something people want (legally) and make a profit. That's all. If they can provide additional things to customers which don't harm customers or their business, so much the better. But they aren't obligated to do anything beyond basic business functions.
    Yup you are right, they aren't obligated. But nevertheless they do do it. And people who assume the government would do more good with the money need to really think about whether that's true.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 40 of 65
    It’s funny how all the septic tanks seem to be up in arms over the EU saying pay what is due, but have completely missed the issue, Apple like many other multinationals is moving profits and IP to low tax rate havens and avoiding paying the tax most other companies have to. A good example is the billions Apple is holding outside the US and negotiating a low tax rate with congress to repatriate it (preferential treatment anyone). Apple make very little in the states transfer IP to Ireland and charge royalties to itself from Ireland to avoid paying US or EU tax rates I would have thought any patriotic American would be upset about that!?!
    I like Apple and the US but saying Apple has a legal obligation to avoid paying tax is no different to saying the EU has a legal obligation to recover tax that the Irish chose to not charge! Tax avoidance is evasion in all but name, I just find it ironic that Donald Trump is campaigning to employ US workers because it is good for the economy and your defending Apple not doing so!