Apple must fight $15.3B EU tax bill without US government help, court says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It’s funny how all the septic tanks seem to be up in arms over the EU saying pay what is due, but have completely missed the issue, Apple like many other multinationals is moving profits and IP to low tax rate havens and avoiding paying the tax most other companies have to. A good example is the billions Apple is holding outside the US and negotiating a low tax rate with congress to repatriate it (preferential treatment anyone). Apple make very little in the states transfer IP to Ireland and charge royalties to itself from Ireland to avoid paying US or EU tax rates I would have thought any patriotic American would be upset about that!?!
    Despite your slur against Americans and Apple supporters, companies are required by their shareholders to take legal measures to maximize profitability. Offshoring IP and engaging in complex accounting procedures and using international laws to do this is a reasonable thing to do for Apple, a company in a position to exploit these laws. All perfectly legal. The EU is the entity that is in shambles because they can't get their members to abide by their own loosely cobbled together regulations.
    I like Apple and the US but saying Apple has a legal obligation to avoid paying tax is no different to saying the EU has a legal obligation to recover tax that the Irish chose to not charge! Tax avoidance is evasion in all but name, I just find it ironic that Donald Trump is campaigning to employ US workers because it is good for the economy and your defending Apple not doing so! 
    They have a fiduciary duty to legally minimize taxes. They don't pay "no taxes", they pay as little as possible in taxes. I'd never support a company that foolishly wasted money. Would you?
  • Reply 42 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    viclauyyc said:
    ascii said:
    China historically built a wall to keep the mongolians OUT, they didn't invade and conquer them, it's a totally different view on life.

Why did China just complete sea trials with their first domestically produced aircraft carrier then? That is a power projection platform, not a defensive one.

So only US can own aircraft carrier? What kind of retard thinking is it?
    Cognitive dissonance?
  • Reply 43 of 65
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 305member
    steven n. said:
    The EU needs to exhort and make up laws and apply them expo-facto style to pay for their nearly backrupt social programs. With the exception of Germany, almost every country in the Union is on the brink of failure.
    Failure? What do you base that on? As far as I can tell most countries in EU  does rather well, both on GDP and trade deficit, historically as well as compared to US. Definitely not on the brink of failure, at least.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    It’s funny how all the septic tanks seem to be up in arms over the EU saying pay what is due, but have completely missed the issue, Apple like many other multinationals is moving profits and IP to low tax rate havens and avoiding paying the tax most other companies have to. A good example is the billions Apple is holding outside the US and negotiating a low tax rate with congress to repatriate it (preferential treatment anyone). Apple make very little in the states transfer IP to Ireland and charge royalties to itself from Ireland to avoid paying US or EU tax rates I would have thought any patriotic American would be upset about that!?!
    Despite your slur against Americans and Apple supporters, companies are required by their shareholders to take legal measures to maximize profitability. Offshoring IP and engaging in complex accounting procedures and using international laws to do this is a reasonable thing to do for Apple, a company in a position to exploit these laws. All perfectly legal. The EU is the entity that is in shambles because they can't get their members to abide by their own loosely cobbled together regulations.
    I like Apple and the US but saying Apple has a legal obligation to avoid paying tax is no different to saying the EU has a legal obligation to recover tax that the Irish chose to not charge! Tax avoidance is evasion in all but name, I just find it ironic that Donald Trump is campaigning to employ US workers because it is good for the economy and your defending Apple not doing so! 
    They have a fiduciary duty to legally minimize taxes. They don't pay "no taxes", they pay as little as possible in taxes. I'd never support a company that foolishly wasted money. Would you?
    I definitely would. Why not. Also, I don't think paying taxes is a foolish waste of money.

Why not take a leaf out of the Spanish savings bank model and set a statutory amount of profits to be paid back to society through a social contribution?

Those 'values' that Tim Cook likes to speak of (in regards to tax accusations, btw) don't fit well when you are accused of paying .005% taxes.

A Product Red every now and then doesn't cut it.

Fiduciary duties fly both ways and often mean doing something in favour of other parties but to your own detriment.

Trying to fold those 'duties' into a legal excuse doesn't tackle the underlying problem: tax avoidance. That is precisely why the megacorporations are being investigated in the EU. Anything dug up as result of possible illegal avoidance will be prosecuted, while at the same time, all other data will be processed to help modify the laws to make them more effective. A double whammy if you like. Public exposure on the one hand and legislation on the other.

If the 0.005% is eventually proven, will Apple decide to recalculate its tax results for that year - even if only symbolically, and make a supplementary payment to the Irish government? That would be in line with the kind of values I consider to be values.

Would 0,005% be within the spirit of the law? Something we should all be able to comprehend.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

The EU is saying that Ireland had a deal with Apple that was against their own laws and the treaty they had signed with all the other countries in the EU.
    Thanks. That’s an odd situation.
    Apple like many other multinationals is moving profits and IP to low tax rate havens and avoiding paying the tax most other companies have to.
    1. How is that the issue?
    2. Tax avoidance is what sane people do. You have avoided taxes. Either shut the fuck up or accept your hypocrisy.
    3. Tax evasion is what’s illegal.
    A good example is the billions Apple is holding outside the US and negotiating a low tax rate with congress to repatriate it (preferential treatment anyone).
    1. No singular company should receive a special repatriation rate. 
    2. Explain to the class why Apple should be forced to repatriate something they don’t want to. That’s what communists do.
    I would have thought any patriotic American would be upset about that!?!
    Patriotic Americans want as little government as is necessary for the security of a free state. You should muse on how your thoughts differ from US law.
  • Reply 46 of 65

spice-boy said:
    Wow "slur against Americans and Apple supporters"??? How do you support Apple, buy its products and services and defend them as if they ever asked for or need your help.
    How is that a response to what he said? He even highlighted what he was talking about.
    Washington has a constant woody for corporate donations, their masters not the average US citizen.
    Well, the bank (singular, global, privately owned) owns Washington. Companies are just accessories.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    As does the EU to its citizens! 
  • Reply 48 of 65
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    They do not. Prove it.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    djsherly said:
    They do not. Prove it.
    You’ll have to be more specific, seeing as you’re wrong about every single possible statement you could be asking for proof over.
  • Reply 50 of 65

The EU is saying that Ireland had a deal with Apple that was against their own laws and the treaty they had signed with all the other countries in the EU.
    Thanks. That’s an odd situation.
    Apple like many other multinationals is moving profits and IP to low tax rate havens and avoiding paying the tax most other companies have to.
    1. How is that the issue?
    2. Tax avoidance is what sane people do. You have avoided taxes. Either shut the fuck up or accept your hypocrisy.
    3. Tax evasion is what’s illegal.
    A good example is the billions Apple is holding outside the US and negotiating a low tax rate with congress to repatriate it (preferential treatment anyone).
    1. No singular company should receive a special repatriation rate. 
    2. Explain to the class why Apple should be forced to repatriate something they don’t want to. That’s what communists do.
    I would have thought any patriotic American would be upset about that!?!
    Patriotic Americans want as little government as is necessary for the security of a free state. You should muse on how your thoughts differ from US law.
    So why is Tim Cook negotiating a special rate, they want to repatriate the money it makes no difference to me, I just hate when they act like they are doing the world a favour. Or bringing it back to Ireland when Bono tells us all we need to help the poor and starving in Africa by donating while he avoids tax and doesn’t donate a bean. 
    avon b7
  • Reply 51 of 65
    adrianwhitehurst said:
    So why is Tim Cook negotiating a special rate
    It could well be because the government lets them. I only said that no company should receive individual treatment, not that they don’t. It’s a travesty if any company is allowed to do that.
    I just hate when they act like they are doing the world a favour.
    Yeah, I could do well without that. My view is that no individual should have his income taxed (since that’s just slavery), but that all corporations should receive an identical tax rate on income. A company “does the world a favor” by producing the products it produces. Any attempt to claim “virtue” in tax avoidance should be looked down upon.

Oh, a note for multicorpoglomernationalrations, specifically those that have income in countries with a lower tax rate than our own: the repatriation of profit from THOSE countries should be taxed at a rate which simply makes up the difference between the domestic rate and the foreign one. This being a country-specific tax, not a corporation-specific one, and differing only depending on the country from which the profit is returning.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    spice-boy said:
    Wow "slur against Americans and Apple supporters"??? 
    If calling people of differing opinions “septic tanks” isn’t deserving of a ban then prepare for this place to turn into a real cesspit.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    elijahg said:
    tallest skil said:

That’s not including us paying 100% of NATO’s budget (which shouldn’t exist).
    That's complete rubbish, the US pays about 22%.  There are plenty that pay barely anything though, and that's wrong. Especially the Eastern European states who benefit from NATO's protection from Putin.
    Poland and Estonia hit their 2% marks.  The remaining three have raised theirs but will be a while before they reach it. 

The real slackers are Germany, Spain and Italy.

As much shit as we give France they are over 2%.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    viclauyyc said:
    ascii said:
    China historically built a wall to keep the mongolians OUT, they didn't invade and conquer them, it's a totally different view on life.

Why did China just complete sea trials with their first domestically produced aircraft carrier then? That is a power projection platform, not a defensive one.

So only US can own aircraft carrier? What kind of retard thinking is it?

if US want to be the boss of the world and the world police, maybe US should willing to pay without being a pussy complaining.
    The retard thinking is the inabiiity to connect the assertion that China only builds defensively with the counter that it just built a weapons platform for power projection.

The original assertion that China wasn’t expansionist is laughable. Just ask their historical neighbors.  One of the reasons that the Qing dynasty military was in decrepit state was the costly campaigns in SE Asia in the late 1700s. All the tribute states gained there were quickly lost to western colonial powers. 

That they are not expansionist today is equally laughable.  Just ask their neighbors.  Like Tibet.  Or Vietnam. Or India.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 317member

Apple must fight $15.3B EU tax bill without US government help

Tim will remember.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    djsherly said:
    They do not. Prove it.
    You’ll have to be more specific, seeing as you’re wrong about every single possible statement you could be asking for proof over.
    djsherly said:
    They do not. Prove it.
    Stop being asinine and show me where a company has a fiduciary duty to minimise taxes. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 57 of 65
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    djsherly said:
    djsherly said:
    They do not. Prove it.
    Stop being asinine and show me where a company has a fiduciary duty to minimise taxes. 
    Ah, the old "fiduciary responsibility" chestnut.  There's no so such thing, such a thing wouldn't even make sense if it were a thing, and you'll never get an answer from those who trot it out. 

In fact, the legal precedent says something a lot more nuanced than these simpletons care to understand.
    singularity
  • Reply 58 of 65
    djsherly said:
    The fuck do you mean ‘where’? Why are you expecting it to be a codified statement? It’s an implied maxim, inherent to the operation of economics. Here’s an analogy. You build a car. You call it a car. You market and sell it just like any other car. It doesn’t go in reverse. “What do you mean, ‘go in reverse’?” you say, “It’s a car. Where in the definition of the word ‘car’ does it say ‘has to go in reverse’? It already fits the description of a ‘car’; show me where it has to do anything beyond the mere word?”
    crowley said:
    such a thing wouldn't even make sense if it were a thing
    Explain why companies do not pay 100% of their profits in taxes.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    djsherly said:
    The fuck do you mean ‘where’? Why are you expecting it to be a codified statement? It’s an implied maxim, inherent to the operation of economics. Here’s an analogy. You build a car. You call it a car. You market and sell it just like any other car. It doesn’t go in reverse. “What do you mean, ‘go in reverse’?” you say, “It’s a car. Where in the definition of the word ‘car’ does it say ‘has to go in reverse’? It already fits the description of a ‘car’; show me where it has to do anything beyond the mere word?”
    crowley said:
    djsherly said:
    crowley said:
    Fiduciary has a meaning, champ. Look it up. Try again. 
    singularitygatorguy
  • Reply 60 of 65
    djsherly said:
    Fiduciary has a meaning, champ. Look it up. Try again. 
    So… thanks for not understanding.