Samsung continues anti-iPhone X crusade with three new videos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    SD card and split screen - don’t need either. The notch & rounded corners however for movie/game playback, hmm. I don’t own an X, so I don’t have first hand experience for usability, but I still question Apple on those decisions.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Watching videos in "full screen" mode is non-default behavior -- because doing so zooms in on the content and chops off a portion of the sides, even on previous phones. There's no good reason to do it, unless you already don't mind losing elements. The notch is no different in this regard. The default, normal way to watch movies is the same as it's always been -- non-zoomed-in, revealing all elements of the video content. 

Thus, the ad is bullshit.

SD storage cards are largely a non-value-add. I've got a 64gb X and only using 38.4... iCloud Music Library and iCloud Photo Library work well to offload so a copy of all my data isn't just sitting on the device. I save money on local storage and use a shared 50GB icloud storage family plan. Neither my SO or I ever have to worry about local storage.
    edited July 2018 claire1king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 59
    So let's go through all their complaints so far, first it was that he phone doesn't have a headphone jack (guessing the S10 won't have one either given their comments years ago about the headphone jack being on the bottom) and this was a big deal because they don't realize everyone has bluetooth in 2018. Then it was that the modem in the iPhone isn't as theoretically fast as the S9 even though with network latency factored in both phones will feel as fast doing cellular data tasks because the modems are both already faster than they need to be for real world use. Then it was that the S9 had scored better on a camera benchmark even though the iPhone X already has a fantastic camera. Now it's that you can't add storage through micro SD cards, which you've never been able to do with iPhones, that you can't split screen your phone which makes no sense on a screen that small. (It makes sense on their bigger screened device, but I guess nobody's buying Smasung's larger devices. And then they want to make fun of the notch which everyone knows is there, doesn't cover video by default, and is being copied by literally everyone. Good job Samsung, you're as pedantic as an mean Sunday school teacher.
    racerhomie3claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Anybody noticed that Samsung is always using a unique looking minority as depiction of the 'bad Apple person'?  Next up: an Apple employee in a burqa. 

edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 59
    gutengel said:
    "Oh no, they come here all the time..." I guess Samsung like their stores empty, or I at least that what they look like whenever I pass by one here in NY. Last time I went to an Apple store a Genius ended up dancing salsa with my grandma, you know, awesome stuff.

The mall near me has an Apple, Microsoft and Samsung store. The Apple one is always busy, next is the Microsoft store (esp on Saturday when they have gaming tournaments) and way back in third is the Samsung store. Even worse, since the Samsung store is tiny so it would only take 10 people to make it look busy inside.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 59
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    There are some nice uses for split screen on phones. Ever had some information on a webpage that cannot be copied? Just split the screen and open Notes to jot the info down. Get a instant message while watching a video? No need to leave the video to reply.

Micro SD cards are lifesavers for several reasons and I have never had a phone for which I haven't filled the internal memory. Hi res video enthusiasts end up 'managing' storage constantly to avoid running into problems. That is hassle.

I have a notch on my current phone and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It can be 'turned off' if necessary.

muthuk_vanalingam[Deleted User]
  • Reply 27 of 59
    JohnDeeJohnDee Posts: 50member
    Some people still think that they should shout the loudest, even if they have nothing to say...
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 59
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Aloysius said:
    Soli said:
    These are solid ads.
    Eh, I don't think so really. At least not on attracting new customers.

I think this whole ad campaign is great at making Samsung's customers feel better that they made the superior choice. It's preaching to the choir, so to speak.

I have trouble thinking the average person is concerned about the notch (considering just about every phone has one now), sd card slots (it may be expandable, but a pain when you need to transfer data if you outgrow one and don't have a pc), or split screen. At least not as buzz words. 

If these things are truly important, than show it in action and sell the benefits, not just listen a few random things the iPhone doesn't have.
    1) I"m not sure what you mean by "new customers."

2) I think these videos are good because they're targeting their base well. These are not for iPhone users (although they'd love to get some switchers from Android). On a minor level I think these are people that have never used a smartphone but have heard various chatter from the Android-using masses about how Apple doesn't do this or that and how Apple just charges you for for their brand name. Mostly, I think these ads are targeted towards Android users. People that already make those dumb comments about Apple sucks to justify their current crap device. These ads target those people.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    gutengel said:
    "Oh no, they come here all the time..." I guess Samsung like their stores empty, or I at least that what they look like whenever I pass by one here in NY. Last time I went to an Apple store a Genius ended up dancing salsa with my grandma, you know, awesome stuff.

The mall near me has an Apple, Microsoft and Samsung store. The Apple one is always busy, next is the Microsoft store (esp on Saturday when they have gaming tournaments) and way back in third is the Samsung store. Even worse, since the Samsung store is tiny so it would only take 10 people to make it look busy inside.

My anecdotal evidence (value ~ $0.02 - rounds down to nothing) is that the Microsoft stores I've seen tend to have more staff than customers in them. Samsung stores, on the other hand, have stuff other than phones and computers, and seem to pull in people looking for TVs etc. Still, Apple stores are usually crowded as hell, with huge queues for attention from the 20 odd floor assistants, and the Genius bar. Although my local one is often quiet at some times of the day - but I've never seen any others less than crowded.

Still anecdotal evidence, which is worth less than the electrons used to send it.

Samsung ads always seem to have an air of smug desperation to them. I remember when I was last in the US, the one for the Galaxy Tab, which took a swing at the iPad, the Kindle, and the Surface. I can't even remember what the complaint about the iPad was, but it was just as stupid as the attack on the Kindle, in which some smug woman in a book club claimed superiority because of the silly people who were just reading the book, and not looking stuff up on the web as well. She came across as the member of the book club the others would "forget" to tell about the change of venue for the next meeting.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 59
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Soli said:
    Aloysius said:
    Soli said:
    These are solid ads.

I think this whole ad campaign is great at making Samsung's customers feel better that they made the superior choice. It's preaching to the choir, so to speak.

I have trouble thinking the average person is concerned about the notch (considering just about every phone has one now), sd card slots (it may be expandable, but a pain when you need to transfer data if you outgrow one and don't have a pc), or split screen. At least not as buzz words. 

If these things are truly important, than show it in action and sell the benefits, not just listen a few random things the iPhone doesn't have.

2) I think these videos are good because they're targeting their base well. These are not for iPhone users (although they'd love to get some switchers from Android). On a minor level I think these are people that have never used a smartphone but have heard various chatter from the Android-using masses about how Apple doesn't do this or that and how Apple just charges you for for their brand name. Mostly, I think these ads are targeted towards Android users. People that already make those dumb comments about Apple sucks to justify their current crap device. These ads target those people.
    This is just Samsung positioning itself as "Android's iPhone", and I agree that it is targeted at existing Samsung customers especially those that might me be lured to some to the other Premium Android OS devices.

Still, Apple's ecosystem remains unparalleled, so I don't see many current iPhone users leaving, and certainly the data shows more entering.

igorskyclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Aloysius said:
    Soli said:
    These are solid ads.

This is just Samsung positioning itself as "Android's iPhone", and I agree that it is targeted at existing Samsung customers especially those that might me be lured to some to the other Premium Android OS devices.

Still, Apple's ecosystem remains unparalleled, so I don't see many current iPhone users leaving, and certainly the data shows more entering.

Increasingly that's the same with Android users. Both camps are pretty well ensconced. Apple users will remain Apple users and Android owners are even more likely to remain with Android according to the report from last month. 
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Soli said:
    Aloysius said:
    Soli said:
    These are solid ads.

Yeah, that’s what I mean. They’re targeting existing Android users, and the ads are mostly patting themselves on the back to people who already dislike Apple. It makes their existing users feel better that they made the right choice. 

I dont’t think it’s nearly as effective on new customers. By that, I mean people presently not using Android. I don’t think any iPhone users are going to watch this ad and switch. So if that’s the case, why are they targeting Apple? What’s the point, other than fan service?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Aloysius said:
    Soli said:
    Aloysius said:
    Soli said:
    These are solid ads.

Yeah, that’s what I mean. They’re targeting existing Android users, and the ads are mostly patting themselves on the back to people who already dislike Apple. It makes their existing users feel better that they made the right choice.
    That's why I think this strategy is successful.

I dont’t think it’s nearly as effective on new customers. By that, I mean people presently not using Android.
    Note that using and Android-based device doesn't mean they're a Samsung customer. This is no different from any WinPC vendor. Samsung may get some money from component sales when customers buy other smartphones (including the iPhone), but they make a lot more by selling their Samsung-branding smartphones.

I don’t think any iPhone users are going to watch this ad and switch. So if that’s the case, why are they targeting Apple? What’s the point, other than fan service?
    I've seen zero evidence to indicate that they're targeting Apple customers. They're making fun of Apple products, which is targeting Android users. One part to keep customers on Samsung devices, another to get non-Samsung Android users onto Samsung devices. There's probably a very minor appeal to those that have never had any smartphone and to a much lesser extent there's statistically someone who is fed ups with their iPhone for reasons I can't imagine.

Bottom line: They're targeting the massive amount of customers that already use an Android-based smartphone.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Samsung continues to prove they are a company of the past rather than a company of the future.
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 59
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Aloysius said:
    Soli said:
    These are solid ads.

Increasingly that's the same with Android users. Both camps are pretty well ensconced. Apple users will remain Apple users and Android owners are even more likely to remain with Android according to the report from last month. 
    You might be referring to this report;

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/03/10/apples-ios-loyalty-rate-is-lower-than-googles-android-but-apple-may-steal-more-users-each-year/#258d10f268a8

Indicates a likely net gain of users to iOS, but loyalty rate favors Android OS

iOS switchers

• 86% loyalty during 2017 (therefore 14% switch)
    • 215.8 million iPhones sold
    • “Lost” about 30 million to Android

Android switchers

• 91% loyalty rate during 2017 (therefore 9% switch)
    • 1.244 billion Android smartphones sold
    • “Lost” about 112 million to iOS
    No mention of what is happening to remaining Windows phone users...
  • Reply 36 of 59
    geekmee said:
    Samsung continues to prove they are a company of the past rather than a company of the future.
    I wouldn’t say that.

• https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/26/17616796/samsung-memory-chip-improve-battery-life-phones
  • Reply 37 of 59
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Aloysius said:
    Soli said:
    These are solid ads.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/03/10/apples-ios-loyalty-rate-is-lower-than-googles-android-but-apple-may-steal-more-users-each-year/#258d10f268a8

iOS switchers

Android switchers

They confound FORCED TO STAY, with loyalty. If you can't afford to switch to IOS (too expensive), how can you be "loyal".
    That's like people who are loyal to buying used cars.... Compared to people buying beemers.

The only important people part is loyalty of people that can actually afford to switch, Samsung buyers, high end LG buyers, and when you look at that, the loyalty of Android users is pretty bad.

If Apple steals get more and more of the high end of the market, they squeeze out more and more of the industry's profits and more and more of the mobile service profits too.

That's what is happening right now.

Soliericthehalfbeeracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 59
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Aloysius said:
    Soli said:
    These are solid ads.

iOS switchers

Android switchers

It doesn't matter how many devices you sell. It matters, what net profit you get from that. 
    1.2 BILLION devices is a meaningless number, unless you are Google with 1.2 Billion users who Google sells as their product to advertisers as clicks.
    Also, 112 million to iOS is a larger number than 30 million lost to Android. Like, 3.7 times more! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Soli said:
    geekmee said:
    I wouldn’t say that.

• https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/26/17616796/samsung-memory-chip-improve-battery-life-phones

What does a new chip from their semiconductor division have to do with the fact Samsung Mobile is a “company of the past”?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 59
    foggyhill said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    Aloysius said:
    Soli said:
    These are solid ads.

iOS switchers

Android switchers

They confound FORCED TO STAY, with loyalty. If you can't afford to switch to IOS (too expensive), how can you be "loyal".
    That's like people who are loyal to buying used cars.... Compared to people buying beemers.

The only important people part is loyalty of people that can actually afford to switch, Samsung buyers, high end LG buyers, and when you look at that, the loyalty of Android users is pretty bad.

If Apple steals get more and more of the high end of the market, they squeeze out more and more of the industry's profits and more and more of the mobile service profits too.

That's what is happening right now.

I posted from the link to note the flow of Android users to iOS / iPhone, but I agree, it isn't loyalty.
    watto_cobra