Wipe your iPhone before selling it, because if you don't you might get your data stolen

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    viclauyyc said:
    AI should add ", Son" to this article's title
    I was thinking "or else" but "son" works too.
    Shared sense of humor amongst submariners ;)
    We are an odd bunch.
    Care to explain?
    I'm not sure what you're looking for.
  • Reply 22 of 37

You can still do things such as changing your Apple ID password. Then if someone gets into your phone, they won't know that new one and won't be able to use, for instance, your Mail to send messages.
    Huh? This only makes sense if you use your iCloud mail as your primary mail account. Most people don’t.

However, an iCloud backup isn't complete. It's intended to safeguard what Apple thinks is your most important data, such as your photos, your account settings, documents and so on. It does not backup your apps. The logic is that you can always get those again from the App Store but sometimes you can't and always you have to re-enter your login details.
    So backup via iTunes. Plug your iPhone into your Mac, tell iTunes to make an encrypted backup, and let it take all the time it likes to copy everything over. 

iTunes does not back up apps. 

I believe you're mistaken about your first point.

And on the second, at no point did William say that it did. This said, if you still have the .ipa file, you can drag it to the device in iTunes, and it will still restore the app to the device.
    Why would Mail which only accesses my IMAP account on my web server ask for my Apple ID password?

The second point was strongly implied by asking about apps not getting backed up, followed by “so, backup via iTunes”. / shrug
    Not that part, the part about the iCloud mail as your primary e-mail address.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Wiping your iPhone is so ridiculously easy that there's very little excuse for not doing so. The girl mentioned one of the few excuses - a totally dead phone. those cases are fairly rare; usually you can at last power on or backup with iTunes (although it sounds like that will go away with iOS 12.) The big takeaway here is to have a passcode and have your phone set to wipe after too may attempts. If you do this, you still should be safe, even if someone should resurrect your dead phone later on.

Of course, the amount you get for a dead phone is generally so small I would argue it's not worth the risk.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    hexclock said:
    Well, if my phone dies and will not boot, I’ll smash it with a hammer and throw it in the garbage. Sorry, Earth. 
    Rule #1
    Hammer time.  It’s the only way to be sure ; )

Rule #2
    If you don’t want to be creeped out don’t use Facebook.
    macseeker
  • Reply 25 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    supadav03 said:
    Only a complete idiot sells, trades, or throws away an iPhone without wiping it. Period. 
    I'm guessing you just described around a third of the US population there. 
    orthicon
  • Reply 26 of 37
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member

You can still do things such as changing your Apple ID password. Then if someone gets into your phone, they won't know that new one and won't be able to use, for instance, your Mail to send messages.
    Huh? This only makes sense if you use your iCloud mail as your primary mail account. Most people don’t.

However, an iCloud backup isn't complete. It's intended to safeguard what Apple thinks is your most important data, such as your photos, your account settings, documents and so on. It does not backup your apps. The logic is that you can always get those again from the App Store but sometimes you can't and always you have to re-enter your login details.
    So backup via iTunes. Plug your iPhone into your Mac, tell iTunes to make an encrypted backup, and let it take all the time it likes to copy everything over. 

And on the second, at no point did William say that it did. This said, if you still have the .ipa file, you can drag it to the device in iTunes, and it will still restore the app to the device.
    OK. But I wonder if I’m missing something? 
    I routinely back up my iOS devices to iTunes (on my Mac).
    When I replace an iPhone or iPad with a new one, I restore the new device using the iTunes backup. 
    This not only loads all the apps to my new iOS device but usually copies over saved game data as well. 
  • Reply 27 of 37
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    iOS backup to iTunes should have an option to backup to external USB drives, like TimeMachine backup. Why Apple refuses to do it after years of request?
  • Reply 28 of 37
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

Why would Mail which only accesses my IMAP account on my web server ask for my Apple ID password?

The second point was strongly implied by asking about apps not getting backed up, followed by “so, backup via iTunes”. / shrug
    Not that part, the part about the iCloud mail as your primary e-mail address.
    I'm not sure what you mean. What I'm saying is the only thing preventing someone from using Mail if you change your Apple ID password is if you only use an iCloud mail account, as that's intrinsically connected to your Apple ID password. Any other mail account from any other provider in Mail would not be tied to your Apple ID password, and thus could be used to send messages. And for the second point regarding banking/etc password resets, while I don't know the actual statistics here, I assume the vast majority of people do not use their iCloud email account as their primary email that they'd receive password resets on, versus say Gmail for example (or in my case, my own domain hosted on my web server). Not to mention people using the Gmail app or any other mail client besides Apple's Mail.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, it's just false to claim that changing an Apple ID password prevents a user that has access to your iPhone from sending messages in Mail.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

ivanh said:
    iOS backup to iTunes should have an option to backup to external USB drives, like TimeMachine backup. Why Apple refuses to do it after years of request?
    Nobody's stopping you:
    https://www.imore.com/how-move-your-iphone-or-ipad-backups-external-hard-drive
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 30 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    entropys said:
    hexclock said:
    Well, if my phone dies and will not boot, I’ll smash it with a hammer and throw it in the garbage. Sorry, Earth. 
    This. My privacy is worth 100x eleven bucks at least. I would also pull out the nand and break it up.
    ...so about the cost of an iPhoneX to be replaced under warranty...?  I'm not judging, just asking...
    yes. easily.  In fact probably too little. trust no one :)

I will admit though, that taking out the hammer and hitting my very old, very dead iphone 5 was pretty hard.   Like shooting old yella.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 31 of 37
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    viclauyyc said:
    We are an odd bunch.
    Care to explain?
    I don't get the boat sailor humor. I'm thinking it must be a nuke boat thing. Maybe too many fast attack patrols? Boomers seldom get as much sea time, so maybe less weirdness.

The ', Son' thing reminds me of Foghorn Leghorn. Or maybe it's a Sea Dad thing talking to a Son?

Anyway, as a diesel boat sailor, I didn't get it.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    macgui said:
    viclauyyc said:
    We are an odd bunch.
    Care to explain?
    I don't get the boat sailor humor. I'm thinking it must be a nuke boat thing. Maybe too many fast attack patrols? Boomers seldom get as much sea time, so maybe less weirdness.

The ', Son' thing reminds me of Foghorn Leghorn. Or maybe it's a Sea Dad thing talking to a Son?

Anyway, as a diesel boat sailor, I didn't get it.
    That’s the problem with nuclear power. A lot of sea time, even when not actively deployed.

Less war fighting, more paperwork. Especially in engineering.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 33 of 37
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Sad, but not surprising that some people need to be told to do this. However, AI is not really where this info needs to be published. Maybe you can sell the article to something else more mainstream where non-techie folks might see it.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    mike1 said:
    Sad, but not surprising that some people need to be told to do this. However, AI is not really where this info needs to be published. Maybe you can sell the article to something else more mainstream where non-techie folks might see it.
    For things like this, our search engine reach is pretty good.

You're not wrong, though.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    cmd-zcmd-z Posts: 69member

More to the point, both forms of backup keep a record of what apps you had installed and how you had them arranged. It used to be that an iTunes backup would reinstall locally-saved apps at the conclusion of loading the backup, but of course that convenience was neutered by Apple some time ago. So today, both backup methodologies deliver the same results with respect to apps, you get placeholders installed and the apps are then re-downloaded wirelessly.
    fastasleepbb-15
  • Reply 36 of 37
    J-J-J-J- Posts: 5member
    My iPhone 6 just conked out on me last week.
    I thought it was just the backlight but it was not recognized by iTunes or iPhoto after being plugged in to my iMac.
    under iCloud Devices it was listed but "offline" so I tried to enable Remote Wipe if/when it decided to connect to the Internet.
    less than 24 hours later I got email notifications that all the accounts in the Wallet had been removed by the wipe I had initiated.

I'll still smash it to bits though.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Very nice and unique information! In general, we don’t do these things before selling the old cell phone but we forget that overlooking these small things can create big problems for us. Thanks for sharing the Wipe off iPhone in a very handsome way.  When I sold  my iPhone to Recell Cellular, I also removed  my all personal data. I will definitely share your blog information as I can.