Apple unlikely to include Lightning-to-headphone jack converter with 2018 iPhones, analyst...

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2018
Analyst report on Cirrus' quarterly earnings indicates Apple won't be bundling the converter with this year's new iPhone models.

iPhone dongle

Apple supplier Cirrus Logic, which makes audio hardware for products like iPhone, on Wednesday announced quarterly revenue of $254.5 million. The number beat estimates and according to one analyst offers a clue about Apple's iPhone plans for this fall.

In a note to investors, Cowen analyst Matthew D. Ramsay said Cirrus' guidance for its fiscal second quarter "all but confirms that Apple will not bundle the DAC headset converter 'dongle' in its new iPhone models." Ramsay went on to argue that the converter will continue to ship in some legacy models, just not the new ones.

Apple, according to the note, makes up 76 percent of Cirrus' revenue, making the iPhone maker's health very important to Cirrus' bottom line.

Another analyst, Barclays' Blayne Curtis, made a similar prediction back in April.

Apple dropped the headphone jack from the iPhone in 2016, instead routing audio out through the Lightning port. To help ease the transition to Lightning, Apple bundled a Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter with every new iPhone. A teardown of the part suggested DAC chips used for signal conversion were designed by Cirrus.

Apple continued to include the adapter with iPhone models released in 2017, but that practice is expected to end with this year's handset lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Oh boy!!!! Here we go! The internet is gonna explode with this one! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Sweet! Now please also move to a 1M Lightning-to-USB-C cable and a more powerful PSU for about 2–4 years before dropping the PSU altogether.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    So, a Trillion dollar company won't include the dongle with their newest, most expensive 2018 phones.   I wonder if we will be able to buy it at the Apple store for $39.99?    I see how they have become a trillion dollar company.    Ugh.....it may be time to reevaluate my loyalty to Apple....  
    doozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I was going to to post a sarcastic "so a trillion dollar company won't include.." meme post, but I see some idiot beat me to it, in a serious fashion. Any rational person knows this has little to do with cost, and everything to do with Apple's minimalism, both in terms of packaging and product use, and drive to push forward bluetooth adoption.
    doozydozenAnilu_777muthuk_vanalingamentropysGeorgeBMacnetmagepscooter63williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 56
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    slurpy said:
    I was going to to post a sarcastic "so a trillion dollar company won't include.." meme post, but I see some idiot beat me to it, in a serious fashion. Any rational person knows this has little to do with cost, and everything to do with Apple's minimalism, both in terms of packaging and product use, and drive to push forward bluetooth adoption.

Who is cheaper, the company that doesn't include a $6 adapter in the box with their $800 phone that the majority of people will never need, or the user that won't spring for the $6 adapter if they need it?

It's kind of obvious this was going to happen at some point. This year is 2 years since they got rid of the headphone jack, I suspect most people who need an adapter already have one.

charlesgresentropysrandominternetpersonnetmagemavemufcpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 56
    longfanglongfang Posts: 445member
    I have 2 of those things and no idea where they are atm. They get lost so easily, so the only solution was to get a few bt headsets. 1000X for at home, Beats X for on the move and a pair of JBL’s as a spare which are now lost (probably sitting next to those aforementioned dongles).
  • Reply 7 of 56
    So, a Trillion dollar company won't include the dongle with their newest, most expensive 2018 phones.   I wonder if we will be able to buy it at the Apple store for $39.99?    I see how they have become a trillion dollar company.    Ugh.....it may be time to reevaluate my loyalty to Apple....  
    It's $9, ███head. It was Google that offered their USB-C-to-3.5mm adapter for $20 before having to drop it to down to meet Apple's price.

Rayz2016muthuk_vanalingamcharlesgresrandominternetpersonnetmagepscooter63rattlhedStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 56
    longfanglongfang Posts: 445member
    You’ve always been able to buy it separately and it costs $9. So either you are deliberately obtuse or your “loyalty” is fake news.
    macseekercharlesgres2old4funnetmagepscooter63williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 56
    anome said:
    slurpy said:

Who is cheaper, the company that doesn't include a $6 adapter in the box with their $800 phone that the majority of people will never need, or the user that won't spring for the $6 adapter if they need it?

It's kind of obvious this was going to happen at some point. This year is 2 years since they got rid of the headphone jack, I suspect most people who need an adapter already have one.

Based on anecdotal evidence AirPods are a fucking major hit, BT headphones in general are popular, and anyone that doesn't have those seems to be using Apple's EarPods which will still likely come with the iPhone for those that are fine with the included wired headphones.

I'd rather the cost of the increasingly useless adapter be put toward better components in the iPhone itself.
    charlesgresSnickersMagoorandominternetpersonnetmagepscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I don't understand the headphone jack butthurt crowd.

If you're an audiophile and have fancy headphones, the cord is replaceable; just get a new lightning -> 1/8" cable, no dongle required.

If you have shitty hearing like me, cool, iPhones come with a pair of lightning earbuds.

If you're crying over a pair of $50 headphones with a built-in cord that needs a dongle, but dropping $600+ on a new phone, like… 
    SoliRayz2016Anilu_777charlesgres2old4funrandominternetpersonpscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 56
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    This is a smart move by Apple.

If each adapter costs them $4, then over a year, they give away over 800 Million dollars worth of adapters for free! That's nuts.

Better that the money goes to investors. And besides, they will  probably sell a bunch of adapters too, likely at a better than average gross margin.

Smart!
    charlesgres
  • Reply 12 of 56

The day they stop packaging stickers with the iPhone is when I say they jumped the shark!

GeorgeBMacrandominternetpersonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wow. You couldn’t even bothered to check the price before creating an account?

That is some seriously lazy-ass trolling. 
    edited August 2018 PickUrPoisonAnilu_777danhcharlesgresjeffharrisGeorgeBMacnetmagepscooter63williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

anome said:
    slurpy said:

I think we reached a tipping point earlier this year. Wired headphones have pretty much fallen off the map. Everyone seems to have wireless buds (not just AirPods) these days, so this doesn’t surprise me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 56
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    No adapter?  We’re all going die... oh what a world.

Never mind.  I kind of felt bad throwing the adapter (to obsolete hardware) away... anyway.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 521member
    I got an adaptor with my iPhone 8 Plus and never used it. I suppose I’d have occasion to some day but now I use the wired lightning ones I got with the phone. Then again I may get AirPods in the fall if Gen 2 come out so it’s be a moot point. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 56
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    My adapter only serves one purpose and that is for Air travel.  I have a pair of BeatsX, but of course they are wireless and have no way to interface with the airplane's entertainment system.  I have an aging pair of Apples In-Ear Headphones that I take on airplanes.  I need the adapter so that I'm not fumbling with one set of headphones (BeatsX) when I'm doing something on my iPhone and another when I'm watching a movie on the seat-back system.  I can easily use the same headphones and just add/remove the adapter as needed.  Other than that, I literally have no use for the adapter and it lives in my travel case that only is packed for trips.
    Delta (and some other airlines) has been improving their in-flight systems to stream most (though not all for some dumb licensing reasons no doubt) of the films/shows to in flight apps.  Eventually streaming will completely replace expensive in-back systems and even this use case will fade away.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 56
    I absolutely agree. I haven’t bought an iPhone since I realised they weren’t going to include a floppy disc adapter. How dare they move forward as a company and embrace change!
    watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 19 of 56
    You're sad. Just go. Lol
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 56
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    it will probably remain $9.00. Ugh.... here we go with the Trillion dollar company references. This is going to be fun. Welcome and great first post.  :|

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMX62AM/A/lightning-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter
    watto_cobra