Apple unlikely to include Lightning-to-headphone jack converter with 2018 iPhones, analyst...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    So, a Trillion dollar company won't include the dongle with their newest, most expensive 2018 phones.   I wonder if we will be able to buy it at the Apple store for $39.99?    I see how they have become a trillion dollar company.    Ugh.....it may be time to reevaluate my loyalty to Apple....  
    If the rumor is true, they probably did the statistical calculations and determined that people who will but the phone, either already have the dongle, will buy the dongle based off sales records or  Won’t use the dongle based off research.
    Notsofastwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 56
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    slurpy said:
    I was going to to post a sarcastic "so a trillion dollar company won't include.." meme post, but I see some idiot beat me to it, in a serious fashion. Any rational person knows this has little to do with cost, and everything to do with Apple's minimalism, both in terms of packaging and product use, and drive to push forward bluetooth adoption.

Who is cheaper, the company that doesn't include a $6 adapter in the box with their $800 phone that the majority of people will never need, or the user that won't spring for the $6 adapter if they need it?

It's kind of obvious this was going to happen at some point. This year is 2 years since they got rid of the headphone jack, I suspect most people who need an adapter already have one.

Based on anecdotal evidence AirPods are a fucking major hit, BT headphones in general are popular, and anyone that doesn't have those seems to be using Apple's EarPods which will still likely come with the iPhone for those that are fine with the included wired headphones.

I'd rather the cost of the increasingly useless adapter be put toward better components in the iPhone itself.
    Is it possible for Apple to collect data and know how often people actually use the adapter?  Those data would almost certainly match the anecdotal evidence about the popularity of BT options.  It would be interesting to know how many of the people who don't already have an adapter (new to the iPhone or upgrading from an older iPhone) would be affected in a tangible way.

I would like to see them offer an option to buy the phone only--no headphones, no adapter, no charging cable, and no power brick.  It's wasteful.  A whole lot of us have multiples of those things laying around already.  Lower the price by $50 or give an Apple or iTunes gift card in lieu of that stuff.
    I’m sure Apple has data on this. I hope if they’re removing it from the box it’s because their data shows people weren’t using it and it’s not just to save a few bucks. When people say it’s $9 big deal I find that offensive. Apple’s charging me $1000 for a phone. They can afford to throw in an $9 adapter.
    1. It's a few bucks times how ever many millions of units they will sell.  That's a lot of money.
    2. Your threshold for what you find offensive is awfully low.
    3. Do you need it?  Would you use it?  You make it sound like this is an "it's a matter of principle" issue.
    Then why do they bundle headphones? EarPods are $29. $29 x millions of units is a lot of money. So fine don’t bundle this stuff and reduce the price of the phone. Unless you’re suggesting the $9 adapter isn’t included in the price of the phone?
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 43 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    slurpy said:
    I was going to to post a sarcastic "so a trillion dollar company won't include.." meme post, but I see some idiot beat me to it, in a serious fashion. Any rational person knows this has little to do with cost, and everything to do with Apple's minimalism, both in terms of packaging and product use, and drive to push forward bluetooth adoption.

Who is cheaper, the company that doesn't include a $6 adapter in the box with their $800 phone that the majority of people will never need, or the user that won't spring for the $6 adapter if they need it?

It's kind of obvious this was going to happen at some point. This year is 2 years since they got rid of the headphone jack, I suspect most people who need an adapter already have one.

Based on anecdotal evidence AirPods are a fucking major hit, BT headphones in general are popular, and anyone that doesn't have those seems to be using Apple's EarPods which will still likely come with the iPhone for those that are fine with the included wired headphones.

I'd rather the cost of the increasingly useless adapter be put toward better components in the iPhone itself.
    Is it possible for Apple to collect data and know how often people actually use the adapter?  Those data would almost certainly match the anecdotal evidence about the popularity of BT options.  It would be interesting to know how many of the people who don't already have an adapter (new to the iPhone or upgrading from an older iPhone) would be affected in a tangible way.

I would like to see them offer an option to buy the phone only--no headphones, no adapter, no charging cable, and no power brick.  It's wasteful.  A whole lot of us have multiples of those things laying around already.  Lower the price by $50 or give an Apple or iTunes gift card in lieu of that stuff.
    I’m sure Apple has data on this. I hope if they’re removing it from the box it’s because their data shows people weren’t using it and it’s not just to save a few bucks. When people say it’s $9 big deal I find that offensive. Apple’s charging me $1000 for a phone. They can afford to throw in an $9 adapter.
    1. It's a few bucks times how ever many millions of units they will sell.  That's a lot of money.
    3. Do you need it?  Would you use it?  You make it sound like this is an "it's a matter of principle" issue.
    Then why do they bundle headphones? EarPods are $29. $29 x millions of units is a lot of money. So fine don’t bundle this stuff and reduce the price of the phone. Unless you’re suggesting the $9 adapter isn’t included in the price of the phone?
    I think most would much rather they bundled lighting headphones over an adapter as something additional. I know I would at least. 

Everything that comes in that box (including the box) is included in the price of the phone from the phone itself, the assembly, engineering, iOS and its maintenance, earbuds, the adapter, packaging, shipping, advertising, and selling it on the floor. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    slurpy said:

I think most would much rather they bundled lighting headphones over an adapter as something additional. I know I would at least. 

Everything that comes in that box (including the box) is included in the price of the phone from the phone itself, the assembly, engineering, iOS and its maintenance, earbuds, the adapter, packaging, shipping, advertising, and selling it on the floor. 
    I guess it all depends on how a person uses those EarPods. Quite frankly considering the Lightning EarPods don’t work on anything but iOS devices, I would much rather they included a new pair of 3.5mm EarPods in the box with the Lightning adapter, so I can use them with all the other equipment I use them with, like my Mac, without having to carry around two different pair of headphones.

That said, im sure Apple has done enough research to know what the majority prefer, and I’m sure that the majority who do use the included wired EarPods prefer the Lightning. I also suspect the percentage of people using the included EarPods is falling every year. 
  • Reply 45 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    slurpy said:

I guess it all depends on how a person uses those EarPods. Quite frankly considering the Lightning EarPods don’t work on anything but iOS devices, I would much rather they included a new pair of 3.5mm EarPods in the box with the Lightning adapter, so I can use them with all the other equipment I use them with, like my Mac, without having to carry around two different pair of headphones.

That said, im sure Apple has done enough research to know what the majority prefer, and I’m sure that the majority who do use the included wired EarPods prefer the Lightning. I also suspect the percentage of people using the included EarPods is falling every year. 
    I'd rather Apple just include AirPods with the next iPhone...but that is just me being greedy! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 56
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    So, a Trillion dollar company won't include the dongle with their newest, most expensive 2018 phones.   I wonder if we will be able to buy it at the Apple store for $39.99?    I see how they have become a trillion dollar company.    Ugh.....it may be time to reevaluate my loyalty to Apple....  
    Easy there cowboy.    Relax, they've been selling them all along at cost for less than $9, so your $39.99 hyperbole can cool down. Besides,

1) most people now have one or more,so they are just starting to accumulate in drawers, not good for the environment
    2)  and they are giving you lightning equipped headphones, which is all most people use with their iPhones, so no need there
    3) Wireless now far surpasses wired sales so those who do buy something to use other than the included earbuds don't need an adapter either.

See how easy that was.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 56
    MplsP said:
    So can someone who is paying $800 for a smart phone afford a $10 adapter? Absolutely, but I agree with others and find it a bit galling that after selling a phone for $800 to $1000 with higher profit margins than any other company in the industry, Apple nickels and dimes their customers for a dongle to maintain basic functionality. It's not unlike paying $600 for a hotel room and then getting charged for the newspaper or wifi. 

As much as people protest, the 3.5mm jack is still an industry standard. Even Apple tacitly admits this by keeping the jack on iPads and MacBooks. I forgot my headphones when flew a few months ago. Delta didn't have any lightning headphones but thankfully I could use the airline headphones in my 6s. On top of that, the airline infotainment system had a 3.5mm jack; there was no bluetooth and there is no lightning to 3.5mm adapter that I'm aware of. 

If people don't need the adapter, that's fine, but there are plenty that do. I think a better approach would be to offer an adapter for free when you buy your phone. If you need it you can get one. If you don't need it then you don't have another piece of trash laying around.
    Sorry, not an industry standard, multiple companies are dropping it from their smart phones.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 56
    base jasebase jase Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Not gonna lie, I really miss having a headphone jack. None of my kids want the new iphones without the headphone jack. They are talking about android phones, although they seem to be doing the same thing. Apple are not seeing the consequences of this yet. Parents give kids their phones a lot. Soon the kids won't want them, without the headphone jack.
    williamlondontedp88
  • Reply 49 of 56
    base jase said:
    Not gonna lie, I really miss having a headphone jack. None of my kids want the new iphones without the headphone jack. They are talking about android phones, although they seem to be doing the same thing. Apple are not seeing the consequences of this yet. Parents give kids their phones a lot. Soon the kids won't want them, without the headphone jack.
    "Soon the kids won't want them."  LOL.  Every survey shows iPhone overwhelming and increasing popularity among young people. It may have thrown you for a bit of a loop because of your age, but surveys show the vast majority of people who used wired headphones just use the included earbuds, so kids/people don't even notice because their new headphones just plug in the lightning spot.  Of course, wireless now outsells wired headphones so those people could care less about the legacy headphone jack.  The tiny few who have old wired headphones simply take the two seconds to pop the adapter on the end of their old set and never think about it again. 
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Wrong thread.

edited August 2018
  • Reply 51 of 56
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    crudman said:
    mbenz1962 said:
    My adapter only serves one purpose and that is for Air travel.  I have a pair of BeatsX, but of course they are wireless and have no way to interface with the airplane's entertainment system.  I have an aging pair of Apples In-Ear Headphones that I take on airplanes.  I need the adapter so that I'm not fumbling with one set of headphones (BeatsX) when I'm doing something on my iPhone and another when I'm watching a movie on the seat-back system.  I can easily use the same headphones and just add/remove the adapter as needed.  Other than that, I literally have no use for the adapter and it lives in my travel case that only is packed for trips.
    Delta (and some other airlines) has been improving their in-flight systems to stream most (though not all for some dumb licensing reasons no doubt) of the films/shows to in flight apps.  Eventually streaming will completely replace expensive in-back systems and even this use case will fade away.
    How does the currently bundled adapter help on a plane? The end is a male lightning connector which won’t plug into any flight entertainment system. What you’d need is the opposite of what Apple provides - a female lightning to male 3.5mm headphone jack. I travel a fair bit and in my checking this apparatus doesn’t exist as it would be expensive to create (due to multiple analog/digital/analog conversions as I understand things). Far cheaper to just carry the old 3.5mm EarPods just for the plane. That’s what I do (along with my AirPods). I’d looked at the 12South AirFly but pricing on it is a bit strep in Canada and the reviews haven’t been stellar (unless anyone here has first hand positive experience with it or another brand BT transmitter with 3.5mm jack for use on flights paired to AirPods???)
    I guess you didn't understand my post, or (more likely) don't know what Apple's In-Ear Headphones are.  The in-Ears have a normal 3.5mm jack just like the female receptacle on a plane's entertainment system (and all iDevices before the 7 came out) requires.  The adapter allows me to use the still relatively nice sounding (and passive noise blocking) In-Ears with my iPhone's lightning port.  I use the In-Ears with no adapter with the plane's entertainment system and leave the adapter plugged into the lightning port on my phone during the flight.  Then when I switch from the plane's system to my iPhone to listen to music or podcasts I just unplug the jack from the plane and plug it into the adapter.
    Mac_128 said: 
    two such bulky pair of headphones is especially really impractical.
    You said it.

I hate having a bunch of stuff out at once on the plane because I'm prone to lose it.  This way, I don't need to roll up the cord to my wired headphones and tuck them away and fumble around for pair of wireless headphones to use with my iPhone.  I only need one set of headphones for long travel days and can leave my BeatsX packed or at home, depending.  With just one set of headphones out, the only possible thing to lose is the $9 adapter itself rather than the more expensive wireless headphones that would surely (happened once already) get lost in the shuffle.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 52 of 56
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    slurpy said:

That is exactly why the lightning EarPods that came with my 7 are still in my nightstand drawer having gone untouched for years.  They just are not useful enough for travel since they only work with my iDevices.  The Apple In-Ears work with everything (so would any headphones with a 3.5mm jack) including my iDevices by way of the $9 dongle that Apple has included in the box since the 7.  I kept the dongle from my 7 when I sold it and so the one that came with my 8 is it's backup for the inevitable day that I leave it on a plane.

I remember thinking when I got my 7 that it was strange that it came with EarPods with Lightning connector and the female 3.5mm->M-Lightning dongle instead of the 3.5mm EarPods and the dongle.  I guess it was a further hint to their customers that Apple was making a temporary concession that many customers had 3.5mm jack headphones and even helped to bridge the gap with a dongle, that the customers should be aware that the company considered the 3.5mm to be dead. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 53 of 56
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Not much more than a month away from the new iPhones and all we know is their sizes? Looks like I won't be upgrading my X this year...there's nothing new so why bother????
    1) Why don’t you wait and see what’s announced?

2) Why do you think annual updates are designed to replace the prior year’s? Most normals don’t replace their flagship phones every single year. Some enthusiasts do, and they’d great if you can afford to, but that isn’t the norm.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    slurpy said:

You seem to get offended pretty easily.

I find it more offensive that people want apple to produce millions and millions of a thing that most people don’t need, won’t use, and ends up in landfill. Sign of a wasteful society...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 56

slurpy said:
    What a "nice" social post. Well maybe it is not about cost, but bluetooth pushing now is plain wrong for simple reason: tjis standard is still weak and unreliable at best. Also DAC converters are low quality. Enjoy your phone calls if they are not disrupted by other bloototh users (you should know from signal theory that nbandwidth and number of channels is limited so in crowded places like NYC you will get either lower quality sound or disruptions and there is no way to escape this unless increasing frequencies which is not easy from technology perspective). That is also reason why one may consider wired that does not have any of these limitations in crowded areas and it is constant high quality provided DAC is high quality like DragonFly. On the other hand if like garbage music with high loudness and no detail then sure go Blutooth and some cheap stand earphones that look cool.
    Spoken like a true troll who has never used AirPods and is ignorant about their pairing and reliability. Congrats!
  • Reply 56 of 56
    base jase said:
    What an usual theory. Have any data to back up your claim that kids won’t want iphones because legacy analog headphone jacks?