Apple's secret Services sauce sells systems

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    k2kw said:
    I’m with Jason Snell on this. It will be kind of depressing if Apple becomes all about increasing ARPU. To me Apple is best as a product company not a how much money can we make off of IAP and iCloud storage company.

https://sixcolors.com/post/2018/07/the-good-great-and-mac-of-apples-record-quarter/
    As someone who’s interested in products, I find the focus on Services revenue to be a bit dispiriting. I get excited at the prospect of new products and seeing how consumers are accepting or rejecting products in the market. But the discussion of Services, especially in a financial context, is essentially a conversation about how Apple can grind more money out of every single person who uses an iPhone, iPad, and Mac. (At least the Other Products line, which is also growing rapidly, contains real products like AirPods and the HomePod and the Apple Watch.)

It’s not even that the individual products aren’t good—in point of fact, I’m a happy Apple Music user, I sync my photos with iCloud, and I’ll get in line to give Apple my money for the new video service when it arrives. But to me, in its soul Apple is a company that makes products—the amalgamation of hardware and software—and it will rise or fall based on its competency in those areas. 

Apple needs to keep growing Services revenue because this is the world we live in. You’ve got to play that game, and if you had told me a decade ago how well Apple would seem to be doing at it, I wouldn’t have believed you. (To be fair, a huge portion of the Services line is the App Store itself, and that’s not just to Apple’s credit, but to the credit of everyone who sells apps.) But Services revenue is the add-on, not the core. Let’s never forget that—and hope Apple never does either.

Really Apple sells experiences.  Apple Music, for example, or any streaming music service, is a much better paradigm for music consumption versus purchasing and maintaining your own music collection.  Streaming services provide discovery, curation and the entirety of the provider’s library.  Collecting tunes on your own requires you to do discovery, often able to listen only to a segment of a track before purchase, it requires you to curate and create playlists, and it’s very expensive to [legally] build a music library and then refresh as new music comes along and you tire of what you once thought was worthy.  You can stream music for a lifetime at $120/year for the initial cost of a 6000 track music collection.  

So Apple Music is every bit as valuable as those physical products that Snell refers to as Apple’s soul.  
    The majority of Apple’s services revenue is not Apple Music.
    But it’s an example of how Apple sells experiences.  Which are not entirely provided simply in hardware.  The reason why Apple doesn’t sell TVs, for example; there’s not much way to enhance the experience with the screen as that component isn’t what creates a differentiated experience one vendor to another.  The streaming box, however, because of the UX delivered via its software and services, is where Apple can do its thing to provide a differentiated experience.  

The App Store, maybe not the first of that concept (remember Symbian?) but a service that Apple created which changed the entire paradigm of software distribution.  A much better experience versus the Wild West of in-line app delivery that exists outside app stores.  
    I would like to see Apple sell a high end Camera that is all AutoFocus (or via App based Menu)   should be able to use APS-C size sensor(s) with iOS based OS.   Should be able to start at $2,999.99.   Apple customers are usually richer and will pay a premium for an integrated experience.

Not a fan of Siri and have avoided HomePod because of it but expect that in a few years Siri will be much better.
    Apple will never sell that $3,000 camera. 

I have HomePod and rarely use Siri for music playback commands as it’s far easier and more precise to browse and play via a screen, such as iPhone or iPad. Works like a charm. I do use its Siri for HomeKit commands and it’s great. 
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    I’m with Jason Snell on this. It will be kind of depressing if Apple becomes all about increasing ARPU. To me Apple is best as a product company not a how much money can we make off of IAP and iCloud storage company.

https://sixcolors.com/post/2018/07/the-good-great-and-mac-of-apples-record-quarter/
    As someone who’s interested in products, I find the focus on Services revenue to be a bit dispiriting. I get excited at the prospect of new products and seeing how consumers are accepting or rejecting products in the market. But the discussion of Services, especially in a financial context, is essentially a conversation about how Apple can grind more money out of every single person who uses an iPhone, iPad, and Mac. (At least the Other Products line, which is also growing rapidly, contains real products like AirPods and the HomePod and the Apple Watch.)

It’s not even that the individual products aren’t good—in point of fact, I’m a happy Apple Music user, I sync my photos with iCloud, and I’ll get in line to give Apple my money for the new video service when it arrives. But to me, in its soul Apple is a company that makes products—the amalgamation of hardware and software—and it will rise or fall based on its competency in those areas. 

Apple needs to keep growing Services revenue because this is the world we live in. You’ve got to play that game, and if you had told me a decade ago how well Apple would seem to be doing at it, I wouldn’t have believed you. (To be fair, a huge portion of the Services line is the App Store itself, and that’s not just to Apple’s credit, but to the credit of everyone who sells apps.) But Services revenue is the add-on, not the core. Let’s never forget that—and hope Apple never does either.

Really Apple sells experiences.  Apple Music, for example, or any streaming music service, is a much better paradigm for music consumption versus purchasing and maintaining your own music collection.  Streaming services provide discovery, curation and the entirety of the provider’s library.  Collecting tunes on your own requires you to do discovery, often able to listen only to a segment of a track before purchase, it requires you to curate and create playlists, and it’s very expensive to [legally] build a music library and then refresh as new music comes along and you tire of what you once thought was worthy.  You can stream music for a lifetime at $120/year for the initial cost of a 6000 track music collection.  

So Apple Music is every bit as valuable as those physical products that Snell refers to as Apple’s soul.  
    But it’s an example of how Apple sells experiences.  Which are not entirely provided simply in hardware.  The reason why Apple doesn’t sell TVs, for example; there’s not much way to enhance the experience with the screen as that component isn’t what creates a differentiated experience one vendor to another.  The streaming box, however, because of the UX delivered via its software and services, is where Apple can do its thing to provide a differentiated experience.  

The App Store, maybe not the first of that concept (remember Symbian?) but a service that Apple created which changed the entire paradigm of software distribution.  A much better experience versus the Wild West of in-line app delivery that exists outside app stores.  
    I’m just saying right now ‘services’ don’t excite me like new hardware does. I think that’s what Snell was saying too. Obviously Cook wants Wall Street to think of Apple as not just s hardware company and so when hardware sales are flat or down he focuses on services. Wall Street might love higher and higher ARPU but it’s not something consumers get excited about. When I’m paying $1K for a phone the last thing I want to hear about is how Apple is extracting even more money from me.
    Extracting? Are you not purchasing things that deliver value in the jobs to be done you’ve selected them for? If not, why are you buying them?

Dear lord, no wonder you’re alwsys pissed off at Apple and (oddly) Schiller — your world view is completely fucked up. It’s not extraction, it’s an exchange. 
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

I’m just saying right now ‘services’ don’t excite me like new hardware does. I think that’s what Snell was saying too. Obviously Cook wants Wall Street to think of Apple as not just s hardware company and so when hardware sales are flat or down he focuses on services. Wall Street might love higher and higher ARPU but it’s not something consumers get excited about. When I’m paying $1K for a phone the last thing I want to hear about is how Apple is extracting even more money from me.
    Extracting? Are you not purchasing things that deliver value in the jobs to be done you’ve selected them for? If not, why are you buying them?

Dear lord, no wonder you’re alwsys pissed off at Apple and (oddly) Schiller — your world view is completely fucked up. It’s not extraction, it’s an exchange. 
    But that’s not how it comes across to many people. We know the BOM for an iPhone X isn’t close to $1K. Aren’t some of these so-called services included in the price of the phone? I’d love to see how Apple breaks it down.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Spotify's situation "more inviable than enviable"-- Nicely done, sir.
    Dan_Dilgermarklark
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

But that’s not how it comes across to many people. We know the BOM for an iPhone X isn’t close to $1K. Aren’t some of these so-called services included in the price of the phone? I’d love to see how Apple breaks it down.
    The BOM you've seen on Apple products is stupidly low and nowhere near accurate. But in the same respect, do you have any notion of what the BOM is for your clothing, your food or anything else you consume? Perhaps you'd be shocked to find that the entire world is driven by a profit motive, and that everyone who works to create or develop the things you need receives wages for their efforts.

The only reason iPhone BOM is essentially the only BOM you've ever seen reported is because of bullshit clickbait on a false figure nobody will spend time refute. The next closest thing in the industry is iPhone channel rumors. Don't be so simple to fall for it. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 27

That has nothing to do with my comment. You said Apple extracts money from you, I said that’s a crazy world view, that commerce is an exchange of things for their value. No idea what you’re on about now. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 27 of 27
    TomE said:
    Software Sells Systems - Perfect , No Software, No Need for the Hardware.
    Take away the Software People have built their office or business on , Literally ticks them off.
    I am getting tired of being ticked off - cannot afford it - too much trouble. 
    Keep it simple, add features, don't discontinue the software, just add to it. 
    Software Sells Systems to Me and Others

Spectrum anyone? it can play "pong" on regular TV