Apps & developers hit by day-long Apple CloudKit outage

Posted:
in iCloud edited August 2018
Apple's CloudKit service is in the middle of an extended outage, causing headaches both for developers and people using apps that depend on iCloud for sync and storage.

Mesa data center

While Apple's system status page mentions only a problem with the CloudKit Dashboard that began on Thursday, complaints on Twitter and elsewhere reveal that some apps have lost access to data. One of the most popular is EA's Scrabble.

Significantly the problem only appears to be impacting third-party apps and services, rather than ones like iCloud Photo Library. It's not clear how much of the data loss is temporary.

Apple is said to be aware of the issue, though, and working on a solution. No ETA is available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    This sort of thing happens in every server farm. Apple will fix it faster than most other companies.

Apple never guaranteed 100% absolute uptime with no outages ever.

This only affects a tiny percentage of Apple's customers.

edited August 2018 racerhomie3Franculesbshank
  • Reply 2 of 6
    nunzy said:
    This sort of thing happens in every server farm. Apple will fix it faster than most other companies.

Apple never guaranteed 100% absolute uptime with no outages ever.

This only affects a tiny percentage of Apple's customers.

Thank god you are in the know I was very worried for a minute. Not sure why they will fix this faster than most companies as you provided no evidence to why. And according to the article this seems to be affecting lots of people. I mean over a billion active devices in the wild so possible hundreds of millions of issues? Im a big fan of their products but shamelessly rushing to their defense without any evidence kinda makes you look like a fanboi.
    nunzyfreethinkingcropr
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Something went wrong somewhere. You need the ♎️ to maintain balance. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Is this why after I just upgraded iOS to the latest release (and backing up to both my Mac and iCloud first) that I got a message that my iPhone hadn't been backed up in 147 days?

• Reply 5 of 6
    I’m looking at the photo & i’m asking myself why in the world would they use florescent lighting in an apple data center? LED 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Fluorescent*