Apple raises AppleCare+ pricing for Apple Watch Series 4 to $79, introduces monthly paymen...

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple has bumped the cost of its AppleCare+ warranty service to $79 for owners of the new Apple Watch Series 4, an increase that presumably covers more expensive components like integrated ECG sensors.

The new $79 price tag is $30 more dear than AppleCare+ for Apple Watch Series 3. In addition to the updated pricing, Apple is introducing a monthly payment option for new buyers which, for Apple Watch Series 4, comes out to $3.99 per month for a period of up to 24 months.

Apple fails to explain the price bump, but it can be assumed that Apple Watch Series 4 costs more to repair or replace.

Apple announced its latest wearable at a special event on Wednesday. New features include a larger OLED display, new S4 system-on-chip, refined chassis with all-ceramic back, updated internal sensors and a new heart rate monitor with electrical heart sensor system capable of generating an ECG.

While past Apple Watch models benefitted from evolutionary updates, Apple Watch Series 4 incorporates a number of new, and likely pricey, hardware upgrades.

The new AppleCare+ pricing applies to both stainless steel and aluminum Apple Watch Series 4 models, including Nike+ versions, with GPS or GPS+Cellular connectivity. Apple Watch Herm&egrave coverage remains steady at $99.

AppleCare+ for Apple Watch extends warranty coverage for new devices up to a period of two years after date of purchase. Coverage includes up to two incidents of accidental damage, though users are required to pay a $69 deductible -- $79 for Apple Watch Herm&egraves -- for each occurrence.

Like other AppleCare+ plans, the dedicated Apple Watch Series 4 agreement includes express replacement service, carry-in and mail-in repairs, global repair coverage and access to Apple's technical support teams.

The change arrives alongside updates to AppleCare+ for iPhone, which now includes loss and theft protection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    With some of the newer, more expensive technology inside I would assume this would happen. I'm sure there those here who think Apple is just out to screw people though. 
    edited September 2018 sweetheart777redgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Shit's getting expensive.
    space2001
  • Reply 3 of 10
    macxpress said:
    With some of the newer, more expensive technology inside I would assume this would happen. I'm sure there those here who think Apple is just out to screw people though. 
    I regretted when I didn’t buy it for AW1 and after a year, the damn screem popped out and the thing went dead.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Shit's getting expensive.
    Technology is expensive...
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 10
    fallenjt said:
    macxpress said:
    I regretted when I didn’t buy it for AW1 and after a year, the damn screem popped out and the thing went dead.
    Not that it matters now, but did you try to bring it to Apple anyway? They replaced mine out of warranty for the same thing at no cost. It was happening to the Series 0 a lot after about a year.
    StrangeDaysracerhomie3
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Fritzw57Fritzw57 Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Yes, I had a swollen battery with my Series 0 model. I went to my local Apple Store and they told me it was a known issue and within 30 minutes they put a better battery in and I was out of the door with a free fix. 

Bravo Apple for taking care of this!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    It's not just the price of Apple Care that increased but the price of the watch.  
    While I agree that increased features and technology is part of this, I would bet that Apple has been discounting the earlier versions for two reasons:
    1)  A marketing tactic to get the watches introduced and being used.
    2)  The early versions of any revolutionary tech product like this go through dramatic upgrades quickly so state of the art quickly becomes obsolete junk.

I suspect that, with Apple Watch Series 4 Apple is starting to charge full price.

Fun fact:   A fully loaded AW4 Sport model costs more than a fully loaded iPhone 6 Plus did!
    For the Apple Watch here in PA:
    44mm with LTE:  $529
    Apple Care+:  $79
    Tax:     $43
    ---------------------------------
    Total:   $651

My 128Gb iPhone 6+ with Apple Care cost:
    128Gb iPhone 6+:   $499
    Apple Care+:  $99
    Tax:   $42
    -----------------------------------
    Total:   $640

(That's not a complaint.   Just stating facts.   The Apple Watch is not a watch, it's a computer with a small screen.)
  • Reply 8 of 10

The change arrives alongside updates to AppleCare+ for iPhone, which now includes loss and theft protection.
    AppleCare+ does NOT now include loss and theft protection. If you just buy AppleCare+ you don’t get that coverage. 

But as detailed in the link, there’s a new tier above AppleCare+ called “AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss”. That’s the one you need to buy if you want the additional coverage. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    That's nice.

Care for Apple Watch 4 is $112 over here in the UK (almost double). I expect a weak £ will push a lot of UK Apple customers toward Android devices as we head into the Xmess holiday market.
  • Reply 10 of 10

fallenjt said:

We get 3 years legal protection in Europe. With some goods covered for up to six years. Not that it will matter at all to the predominantly US readers of this xenophobic tech news medium, when (if?) the UK departs the EU in 2019 those 'leave' voters are in for such a terrible shock when they start noiselessly losing not only their hard-fought ECHR human rights, but the fantastic consumer rights Brussels has introduced to protect EU shoppers from poorly made products. A matter which will have a profoundly negative impact on the £ in their pockets.

It's a sad farewell to European Unity in Diversity from me...