If you have an iPhone X, should you upgrade to the iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    Really annoying nitpick:

"My cohort Max"

I think you mean "colleague" or something like that.

Cohort:  "a group of people banded together or treated as a group: a cohort of civil servants patiently drafting legislation."

Although:  "often derogatory a supporter or companion."
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 76
    With the Apple Upgrade program it makes sense to upgrade the phone yearly unless you are planning to keep the current phone for more than 2 years.
    I've got to figure what the additional cost will be (taxes etc) but with the dual SIM, faster processor and longer battery life / enhanced water protection it will probably be worth it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 76
    I myself have an iPhone X. At one point I thought I was definitely not upgrading but then I realized I’m really just paying the same amount if I don’t upgrade. If I wait a year and fully pay off the x then I’ll only get 50% or less back for it on eBay. If I upgrade it’s like apple buying it back for 50%. So it makes sense to upgrade just because I’m the end you’re spending the same amount. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 76

Quote:  The biggest new feature is Bokeh and Depth Control, which allows you to adjust the background blur and depth after taking photos. This feature alone is going to convince a lot of people to upgrade, simply because it makes photos look noticeably better. 
    The iPhone X is capable of doing both of these features. The only question is whether iOS 12 Photos app will allow it on the X.  The third party Focos app can adjust both depth of field and plane of focus on a portrait mode photo on an iPhone X.
    netmageBwlmogrusswaylkmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 76
    If you don't care about stainless steel then sell it and buy the amazing XR.
    And downgrade on features as much as upgrade? That makes no sense at all.

If the Xs features or Max screen size aren't compelling enough, just don't upgrade at all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 76
    I have an 8 plus now. Ordered Xs MAX Silver 256gb. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 76
    BwlmogBwlmog Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I’ve ordered the Max 256gb (in Gold - not sure it’s a good choice, but my daughter wanted that colour, guess I won’t see it with the right case until I hand it down).   Whilst i think the price is high, it had enough improvements to make me move from the IPhone 7.

That said, I think it should have started at 128gb rather than 64gb as that’s the sweet spot for me. I also think that they should have included a fast charger with the phone, not including it just comes across as unnecessary cost cutting.

Finally, and whilst i will be in the minority, I was kind of hoping the rumours about stylus capability would have come to fruition. It would have been useful for working on documents whilst travelling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 76
    the_rebel_scumthe_rebel_scum Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Planning on upgrading to the XS from a 7 Plus. 
    Bwlmogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 76
    Bwlmog said:
    I’ve ordered the Max 256gb (in Gold - not sure it’s a good choice, but my daughter wanted that colour, guess I won’t see it with the right case until I hand it down).   Whilst i think the price is high, it had enough improvements to make me move from the IPhone 7.

That said, I think it should have started at 128gb rather than 64gb as that’s the sweet spot for me. I also think that they should have included a fast charger with the phone, not including it just comes across as unnecessary cost cutting.

Finally, and whilst i will be in the minority, I was kind of hoping the rumours about stylus capability would have come to fruition. It would have been useful for working on documents whilst travelling.
    That's a big upgrade.  Enjoy!
    Bwlmogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 76
    I myself have an iPhone X. At one point I thought I was definitely not upgrading but then I realized I’m really just paying the same amount if I don’t upgrade. If I wait a year and fully pay off the x then I’ll only get 50% or less back for it on eBay. If I upgrade it’s like apple buying it back for 50%. So it makes sense to upgrade just because I’m the end you’re spending the same amount. 
    I agree with your logic and that’s how I justify it as well!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 76
    iPhone X >>> to the Max!
    appleismymiddlenameBwlmogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 76
    fallenjt said:
    I think many people will upgrade from iPhone X to iPhone XS Max. I think Apple thought about this last year. They introduced iPhone X with one size screen and two color options only, their plan was this all along. It is a brilliant marketing strategy I think. Speedwise there is not much of a difference. Also technology wise there seems not much of a difference either. Apple just intentionally keep the price bar high, it is just too expensive but it is business, they will (they should) sell tons of iPhones. iPhone 7 is still a great phone, refurbished one is less than 400 dollars, if people have budget problem they can go with iPhone 7 and 7 plus. Brilliant marketing Apple.
    No they won’t. X owners are those who used to own regular iPhones, not Plus version. 
    Not always true. My wife and I moved from 7 Pluses to X’s because we liked the screen size and hated the physical size. The iPhone X size feels perfect from a usability standpoint size-wise, and wouldn’t consider getting a bigger iPhone again.
    kgkuntryluvrDeelronwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 76
    netmage said:
    If you don't care about stainless steel then sell it and buy the amazing XR.
    And downgrade on features as much as upgrade? That makes no sense at all.

If the Xs features or Max screen size aren't compelling enough, just don't upgrade at all.
    Purely incentives for buying the latest phone. I was actually shocked that they included the same exact feature in the XR, despite having a single lens.
    I think that Apple knows that there is a massive percentage of users that have an old iPhone and aren't willing to spend $1000+ for a XS. A $750 iPhone that includes a lot of the newest features will convince a lot of those users to upgrade, instead of trying out a cheaper Android phone for the first time.
    Keeping them in the Apple ecosystem.

Just look at what happened with Sony's shockingly cheap $2000 A7iii, which completely scooped up the digital camera market. They're now #1 in Full-Frame digital cameras.
    appleismymiddlenameguscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 76
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I have a 7+ and cannot afford a new iphone 
    aylk
  • Reply 35 of 76
    fallenjt said:
    I think many people will upgrade from iPhone X to iPhone XS Max. I think Apple thought about this last year. They introduced iPhone X with one size screen and two color options only, their plan was this all along. It is a brilliant marketing strategy I think. Speedwise there is not much of a difference. Also technology wise there seems not much of a difference either. Apple just intentionally keep the price bar high, it is just too expensive but it is business, they will (they should) sell tons of iPhones. iPhone 7 is still a great phone, refurbished one is less than 400 dollars, if people have budget problem they can go with iPhone 7 and 7 plus. Brilliant marketing Apple.
    No they won’t. X owners are those who used to own regular iPhones, not Plus version. 
    Gotta disagree. I went from a 7+ to the X for the larger screen, and was disappointed from a size-standpoint. It's technically larger than a plus by conventional measurements, but the total screen real estate is actually smaller. The only reason I'm upgrading this year, is solely for the bigger screen. I also feel that Apple planned this because I wouldn't have upgraded this year if they had released a X Plus last year. Nonetheless, I'm not upgrading again until they release something really innovative...or make my fantasy 7 inch tungsten carbide iPhone 5k with embedded TouchID, split screen multitasking, expandable storage, and pencil support (I can dream). 
    macplusplusBwlmogmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 76
    Yep, I ordered an iPhone XS Max from my current iPhone X. The screen size is the main selling point for me!

And just as Vadim mentioned in the video, I want to feel like I have something different so I am also going from the space gray color on the X to the silver color on the XS Max. :smiley: 
    Ditto - Going from Silver iPhone X 256GB to a Silver iPhone XS MAX 256GB. If not for the screen size difference (I want larger screen for sure) I might not have upgraded for the first time (I have done every year). I've done the color change before but Space Gray makes it easier to misplace my iPhone!

I will say if Face ID is faster than that could make the X to XS worth it like how they massively increased the speed of Touch ID each year until it was so instantaneous that it was unlocked before getting it out of my pocket.

Looking forward to the MAX screen size on Friday. Spigen delivery case on that day too.

For sale -> perfect iPhone X (LOL).
    appleismymiddlenamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 76
    I love the iPhone X & i’m taking care of it for as long as it lasts before getting anything new. I think it’s smooth compatability will last for ten years. There are billions of people in the world & enough people for apple to make a suitable device for folks every year. These devices have great value so taking good care of them & making yours last for as long possible i think is a wise choice. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 76
    doggone said:
    With the Apple Upgrade program it makes sense to upgrade the phone yearly unless you are planning to keep the current phone for more than 2 years.
    I've got to figure what the additional cost will be (taxes etc) but with the dual SIM, faster processor and longer battery life / enhanced water protection it will probably be worth it.
    Yes! People always hype the high price of these phones, and insult those willing to pay them. But in reality, the majority of us aren't ever really paying for them in full, rather just leasing a new one each year. And the few extra bucks a month it costs to trade in and upgrade gets you a faster phone, a fresh battery, camera upgrade, constant warranty coverage, and whatever other new features come out.
    appleismymiddlenamevadimyuryevDeelronclaire1LordeHawkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 76
    This. Most people that complain about the price don't realize that it costs the same or a few bucks more to upgrade than what you're currently paying if you're on a payment plan.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 76
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Of course XS Max, even if you’d never used a Plus before. 

The trend is towards the Plus size, which makes sense because thanks to Siri and accessories like the Watch and Airpods (even the cabled EarPods), single-handed phone use is no longer required. Between computer function and phone function, the computer function prevails increasingly since many years (maybe since the beginning), making the maximum display size a must.
    Agree with the computer notation. Classifying the iPhone as a “phone” is like calling a modern PC a “word processor” as in a DECmate type device. 

I basicly agree about the X to Xs being a minor update. But X to Xs Max is a definite upgrade. 
    BwlmogStrangeDayswatto_cobra