Review: The iPhone XS Max is what Apple has always promised the iPhone could be

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    macgui said:

The iPhone XS Max is what Apple has always promised the iPhone could be

Except for being a slab that Jobs said nobody would want. Even a 7 or 8 is bigger than I like.  I'll assume the SE form factor, is dead, buried, gone for ever.  But I'd snap an update version in a heartbeat. I wouldn't have to be an Xs in SE's clothing, just some more performance, and maybe an edge to edge screen. 
    Steve Jobs DID say that.  But, when he said it, the iPhone was still being primarily used as a phone rather than a pocket sized computer.

It wasn't that he was wrong.  He wasn't.   But things changed and now its mostly used as a computer in your pocket -- which works better with a larger screen.

But that said, I hope that SE is not dead..   There are still a lot whole like the smaller form factor.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 42 of 48
    macgui said:

Except for being a slab that Jobs said nobody would want. Even a 7 or 8 is bigger than I like.  I'll assume the SE form factor, is dead, buried, gone for ever.  But I'd snap an update version in a heartbeat. I wouldn't have to be an Xs in SE's clothing, just some more performance, and maybe an edge to edge screen. 
    I understand what you're saying, but the wider user base proved him wrong when the iPhone 6 Plus launched. 
    I don't think he was wrong.   I think things changed.
    The original iPhone was used primarily as a phone and for that smaller works better.
    But increasingly the iPhone became a pocket sized computer that needed a bigger screen for all it was doing.

And that "pocket sized computer' is one of the ways Apple is justifying their high prices:  The phone now does so much that it's replacing or minimizing the use of computers and cameras.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    macgui said:

I understand what you're saying, but the wider user base proved him wrong when the iPhone 6 Plus launched. 
    The original iPhone was used primarily as a phone and for that smaller works better.
    But increasingly the iPhone became a pocket sized computer that needed a bigger screen for all it was doing.

And that "pocket sized computer' is one of the ways Apple is justifying their high prices:  The phone now does so much that it's replacing or minimizing the use of computers and cameras.
    That is why one shouldn't speak in absolutes. Things do change  and one ends up looking foolish when one ends up doing what was once mocked  
    Soliwilliamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 48
    macgui said:

That is why one shouldn't speak in absolutes. Things do change  and one ends up looking foolish when one ends up doing what was once mocked  
    Yeh, OK, but not speaking in absolutes has its own draw backs --  such as not being able to call bull to  bull.

The trouble is, I think as you suggest, that those driven by ideology or an agenda will take advantage of those words, by taking them out of the context in which they were spoken, and thus lie by telling the truth.

While I don't think anybody saying "Steve was wrong" for saying what he said about smaller phones is pushing an ideology or agenda, they have forgotten the context in which he said it.

Context matters.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    Just had the chance to handle some of these.

They feel nice in my hand. What I hated in the images was the camera bumps. I still don't like them on this setup but in real life it didn't look too ugly.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    tzeshan said:
    "also 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM -- a new high on the iPhone."
    2017 Macbook Pro 13" has only 4GB LPDDR3 RAM. 
    sorry, no. it's 8gb standard, no Mac ships with 4gb of ram anymore. 

source: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP754?locale=en_US
  • Reply 47 of 48
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    jbdragon said:
    kwalkerk said:
    While I agree with almost everything in the review, I have one huge drawback with my new Xs Max.  Battery life.  I upgraded from a 6s+ which would easily go all day with my usage pattern.  Now I'm lucky if the Xs Max makes it to mid afternoon before needing a recharge.  Going to monitor a couple more days, and if no improvement will be taking it back to ATT.
    I have to say for me, Battery life on my XS seems to be much better than my iPhone 6 it replaced. Battery Percentage on my 6 shows like 98%, but it just doesn't last as long as it used to I think. it's been 4 years. The XS is doing pretty good. Still I'm always for more battery and longer life. It's kind of annoying, the CPU shirks down and it's a little better on the battery, so instead of leaving the battery as it and getting longer life, Apple keeps on shrinking the battery right along with it. How about a little thicker and then the camera would be FLUSH!!! It wouldn't be so slippery, and there would be more space for a little larger battery? That would be a better looking phone that I think Steve Jobs would approve on more than the Camera sticking out!!!
    I have an iPhone 6 and went to the Apple Store and had the battery replaced for $29 about a week ago.   They also must have cleaned out the power port as I was having lots of problems with that and I don't now.  Battery life with the new battery has been fantastic (under 11.4.1).   I last charged my phone 10 hours ago and it's at 58%.  I was listening to streaming radio for four hours while bike riding, read and deleted mail, sent a few texts and took a few photos.    I may change my mind once I see the new phones in person, but I now see no reason to upgrade and if iOS 12 is a battery life problem, I won't even upgrade to that (or wait until 12.1 if they fix it).   
  • Reply 48 of 48
    zoetmb said:
    jbdragon said:
    kwalkerk said:
    While I agree with almost everything in the review, I have one huge drawback with my new Xs Max.  Battery life.  I upgraded from a 6s+ which would easily go all day with my usage pattern.  Now I'm lucky if the Xs Max makes it to mid afternoon before needing a recharge.  Going to monitor a couple more days, and if no improvement will be taking it back to ATT.
    I have to say for me, Battery life on my XS seems to be much better than my iPhone 6 it replaced. Battery Percentage on my 6 shows like 98%, but it just doesn't last as long as it used to I think. it's been 4 years. The XS is doing pretty good. Still I'm always for more battery and longer life. It's kind of annoying, the CPU shirks down and it's a little better on the battery, so instead of leaving the battery as it and getting longer life, Apple keeps on shrinking the battery right along with it. How about a little thicker and then the camera would be FLUSH!!! It wouldn't be so slippery, and there would be more space for a little larger battery? That would be a better looking phone that I think Steve Jobs would approve on more than the Camera sticking out!!!
    I have an iPhone 6 and went to the Apple Store and had the battery replaced for $29 about a week ago.   They also must have cleaned out the power port as I was having lots of problems with that and I don't now.  Battery life with the new battery has been fantastic (under 11.4.1).   I last charged my phone 10 hours ago and it's at 58%.  I was listening to streaming radio for four hours while bike riding, read and deleted mail, sent a few texts and took a few photos.    I may change my mind once I see the new phones in person, but I now see no reason to upgrade and if iOS 12 is a battery life problem, I won't even upgrade to that (or wait until 12.1 if they fix it).   
    My newly replaced 6+ was running great on iOS11.  I upgraded to iOS12 and now its running even better!