Apple fixes Apple Watch rings issue with watchOS 5.0.1 update

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple has released watchOS 5.0.1 to the public, with the minor update to the Apple Watch's operating system fixing a charging issue, as well as activity-related problems that hampered attempts by users to close their rings.

Landing 10 days after the release of watchOS 5, the new watchOS 5.0.1 is a performance and bug fix update to the wearable device's software. Along with the general improvements advisement, the release notes for the update highlight three issues it fixes.

The first solves a problem where a small number of users seeing increases in exercise minutes, making the tracking of user activities throughout the day inaccurate. A second bug fix addresses an issue where some users did not receive Stand credit in the afternoon.

A third highlighted fix was to do with an issue that could have prevented the Apple Watch from charging at all.

To update the Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch companion app on the connected iPhone, and tap the My Watch tab. Under the General section, select Software Update and enter the passcode if requested.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    So I FINALLY start getting decent exercise credit when I do an outdoor walk and average a pace of 3mph, and now this update will probably put it right back to where it was when I could walk for 30 minutes and get credited for a whopping 3 minutes of exercise.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    my streak was broken because of this issue. i closed all rings on my apple watch series 0 on a certain day. the next day i found out that it had not registered on the activity app, but i was already then on my series 2 for workout. i wore the 0 again to see if the rings would catch up and reflect on the previous day, no dice. bummer. hating apple for this. 
  • Reply 3 of 31
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Inaccurate recording of exercise minutes? Since iOS 5, I thought my watch was working much more accurately. I used to go for a 20-30 minute walk around town before my bus in the morning, and it would sometimes only recognise 5 minutes of exercise. Now it prompts me after 10 minutes to record it as a workout, and often shows the full walk as exercise. It's not like I'm taking a slow stroll - I'm mainly doing it for exercise.

Now I'm worried that after this update it will go back to saying I only got 5 minutes of exercise.

aybaraairnerd
  • Reply 4 of 31
    anome said:

Inaccurate recording of exercise minutes? Since iOS 5, I thought my watch was working much more accurately. I used to go for a 20-30 minute walk around town before my bus in the morning, and it would sometimes only recognise 5 minutes of exercise. Now it prompts me after 10 minutes to record it as a workout, and often shows the full walk as exercise. It's not like I'm taking a slow stroll - I'm mainly doing it for exercise.

Now I'm worried that after this update it will go back to saying I only got 5 minutes of exercise.

EXACTLY.
    anome
  • Reply 5 of 31
    "Rings" made me think of a telephone ringing at first. Gotta see those new Watches in person.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Funny I upgraded watch os on Monday on my Series 3, but only had the Stand rings problem today Thursday. Apparently I did not stand up once for nine hours today. Glad there’s a patch!
  • Reply 7 of 31
    My workout awards are still missing. The tab is still a spinning wheel of nothing. 
  • Reply 8 of 31
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    The stand functionality has been a mess for a long time, and it's still not fixed even with this update.  It's supposed to credit a stand after one minute of activity, but I can sometimes move for five minutes including climbing three flights of stairs and no credit.  Same issue with the series 2, 3, 4, and every WatchOS version. 
  • Reply 9 of 31
    flydog said:
    The stand functionality has been a mess for a long time, and it's still not fixed even with this update.  It's supposed to credit a stand after one minute of activity, but I can sometimes move for five minutes including climbing three flights of stairs and no credit.  Same issue with the series 2, 3, 4, and every WatchOS version. 
    Out of curiosity, are you using the hand your watch is on for anything else during that time? To the point where potentially your hand isn’t making the normal movements it would make when walking? I used to carry an iPad around quite frequently for work and noticed that sometimes I would get the Stand reminder even though I had been up and moving. I realized that maybe my had wasn’t moving enough to register and when I put the iPad down and moved “normally” I would quickly get the Stand credit.

*Keep in mind, it’s “Stand and move”. I know plenty of people who get upset that they can’t just stand up at their desk, unmoving, for 1 minute and get credit. That’s not how it works. 
    GeorgeBMacmacgui
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Series 4 is so far great. From the original apple to this series 4 it is like night and day. The battery so far is great, cellular brilliant and the bigger screen great too. I am not sure if it is necessary to drive for a thinner watch myself I would be happy if it was 2mm thicker with a longer battery life. For me, the screen could even be 2mm larger now even on the bigger watch watch. Don't get me wrong its a great size but thinner and smaller is not necessarily what people need.
    rattlhed
  • Reply 11 of 31
    flydog said:
    Stand has worked normally for me since AW0 day 1. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    litoloop said:
    my streak was broken because of this issue. 
    😱

• Reply 13 of 31
    ihatescreennames said:

are you using the hand your watch is on for anything else during that time?
    😳

rattlhedbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 14 of 31
    laytech said:
    Series 4 is so far great. From the original apple to this series 4 it is like night and day. The battery so far is great, cellular brilliant and the bigger screen great too. I am not sure if it is necessary to drive for a thinner watch myself I would be happy if it was 2mm thicker with a longer battery life. For me, the screen could even be 2mm larger now even on the bigger watch watch. Don't get me wrong its a great size but thinner and smaller is not necessarily what people need.
    Well, if you’re right, they won’t sell any. 
  • Reply 15 of 31
    My Series 4 has been crediting me with exercise for just moseying around the house.  I'm hoping it will stop doing that with the new update.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Yeah, after updating to 5.0 on my Gen2, I noticed that it would take a while for the rings to update like move or exercise even after I finished my workout (so I knew how much it had move).
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Rayz2016 said:
    laytech said:
    Was that necessary?
    ...  For many, increased battery life is an important issue.  And, it's one of the main issues that marathon runners have with the AW:  It doesn't have enough battery life to complete a marathon.

Nobody's trashing the watch -- but different people have different wants and needs.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    The charging issue I didn't know about.  WOndered why yesterday I was sitting at my desk and my watch alerted me it was only 10%. I charge it every night and have never even got below 50%, ever.  I guess it was on the charger and not charging, glad they identified and fixed it.  Minor annoyance that was multiplied because I don't keep a watch charger at work.  I have a lot of phone chargers. :)
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Rayz2016 said:
    laytech said:
    And, it's one of the main issues that marathon runners have with the AW:  It doesn't have enough battery life to complete a marathon.
    Run faster. 
    pacificfilmkingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Rayz2016 said:
    laytech said:
    Was that necessary?
    ...  For many, increased battery life is an important issue.  And, it's one of the main issues that marathon runners have with the AW:  It doesn't have enough battery life to complete a marathon.

Nobody's trashing the watch -- but different people have different wants and needs.

Yes, it was necessary. Every day we have people saying stuff like:

"This is not necessarily what people need"

when what they really mean is:

"This is not what I want."

Contrary to popular belief, Apple doesn't make these decisions to spite individuals demanding their perfect product. They ask opinions and they carry out surveys (I get survey requests from them about once a quarter at least), and then, like every other product, they have to make tradeoffs. Would a better battery life be great for Marathon runners? Sure, but guess what? There are other sports beside marathon running, and there are other uses for an Apple watch besides sport.

Folk round here really need to get out of their own heads and understand that Apple isn't building a device just for them.

This explains why folk seem so disappointed that the new product is successful that they have to make up nonsense as to why it's successful:

"Well, of course it sells well. Apple fans will buy anything!"

Always my favourite that one.
    edited September 2018 lkruppkingofsomewherehot