Microsoft unveils Surface Pro 6, Surface Laptop 2 & Surface Studio 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    they are making some nice gear, I already placed my main desktop with a PC.  my mac book pro is scheduled to be replaced by a dell xp, and this looks like good fit when my ipad pro goes eol.
    So you’ll have a Windows Desktop, a Windows notebook and another Windows Desktop?  Why couldn’t you replace all of them with a Surface Pro 6?  Oh yeah, that’s right it doesn’t do anything well.

If that’s an XPS15 good luck with the performance  throttling off the power cord! (Technically you’ll have 3 desktops)
    edited October 2018 claire1williamlondonmrboba1watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 22 of 53
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member

KITA said:
    Pretty much the same products with updated specs and a new color. Which makes sense given this event didn't even have a live stream.

In terms of specs, the Studio 2 is already a year out of date, as was the first Studio at launch. Odd that Microsoft is doing this, especially when the Surface Book 2 launched with some brand new hardware last year (one of the first batch of laptops to use quad core U series chips).

Microsoft is holding off their redesigns for next year. Likely to go along with Intel's 10 nm processors.

Edit:

Turns out Microsoft is also getting held back by Intel.

2017 Surface Laptop & Surface Pro 
    • Intel Core m3 (2 cores) + HD 615
    • Intel Core i5 (2 cores) + HD 620
    • Intel Core i7 (2 cores) + Iris Plus 640

2018 Surface Laptop 2 & Surface Pro 6
    • Intel Core i5 (4 cores) + UHD 620
    • Intel Core i7 (4 cores) + UHD 620
    No Core m options on the low end and no Iris Plus options for the i7.
    Which parts are they using?  Are these ‘U’s?  If so are they the 8xx0 slugs that all the other Windows vendors are using or the 8xx9 speed-demons Apple are using?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 53
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Thought people stopped  buying this virusware crap?

5 more minutes of fame for Microsoft?
    edited October 2018 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 53
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    The day Microsoft releases a product that doesn’t suck,
    is the day they release a vacuum cleaner...
    studiomusicartdentwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 25 of 53
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    KITA said:
    Pretty much the same products with updated specs and a new color. Which makes sense given this event didn't even have a live stream.

So pretty much like the iPhone XS/XS Max upgrade... except without the "magical can't innovate my ass" hype from Phil the Shill... ok
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 53
    I have all Apple devices at home (iEverything) except the missus likes her Sammy phone.  That works out OK as when we both take photos, usually between the phones, there is a half decent snap to be found.  Anyhow work provides a Surface Pro (no idea what model but pretty recent) and whilst that thing is no excitement machine, I don't notice it in my backpack and generally does what is expected of it.  Have noticed that the Surface Pro seems to have really good up time when on battery.  I haven't used it in tablet mode since I've had it (6 months) ... no real interest to be honest but I assume that works.  I guess if work offered a MacBook then I would go for that but at the same time I'm not going to beat up on the Surface Pro 6.
    edited October 2018 GeorgeBMacchia
  • Reply 27 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macapfel said:
    I certainly won't switch to this gear. But I have to say, they are catching up. Sure, rounded edges, overall design and even videos are copied from Apple. The question, however, seems to be: Can Apple up the game, think different and get a lead again – or is the competition catching up and be on par with Apple in the next years. Currently, my impression is Apple mainly leads with the Watch (and significantly here!) and maybe AirPods. But regarding Phone, Tablet and Computer – Apple has no clear lead for now.
    Yeh, most of the comments here are based more on a hatred of Microsoft and love of Apple rather than reality.   I guess that's the way things are these days:   It's "My side is good, Your side is bad" regardless of the facts.

I would love to hear what Steve's comments would have been about the Surface line.   I am sure he would find something to criticize.  But, for the most part, particularly in his more mature and settled days, he could see a product for what it was.

For myself, I'm not sure if these products are great or just mediocre.   But, I have to give Microsoft credit for innovative designs.   Apple seems stuck in rehashing old form factors -- which is not all bad -- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  But, it is getting to be time that they came up with something innovative in the iPad/MacBook/Mac lines....  I think that they probably will in the year or maybe two.  They're due to spring one.
    macapfel
  • Reply 28 of 53
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    mcdave said:
    they are making some nice gear, I already placed my main desktop with a PC.  my mac book pro is scheduled to be replaced by a dell xp, and this looks like good fit when my ipad pro goes eol.
    So you’ll have a Windows Desktop, a Windows notebook and another Windows Desktop?  Why couldn’t you replace all of them with a Surface Pro 6?  Oh yeah, that’s right it doesn’t do anything well.
    I have a SP4, and what you said that it doesn't do anything well is not true.  With the Surface Dock I have no issues at all working with it as a desktop.  As a tablet, I see no difference compared to an iPad Pro when browsing, annotating PDF documents, reading email, watching movies with Netflix, playing music or using social apps.  Even Apple copied some elements from the Surface Pro, as support for a stylus and side-by-side applications.  Too bad it doesn't have the long list of apps of an iPad.  Plus is far better than an iPad + Smart Keyboard as a desktop replacement since it has a better backlit keyboard and trackpad.  It's obvious that is not the best working with it on the lap, but a part from that it's has been a very good experience.  There are cases where a desktop, laptop or iPad are a better option than a Surface Pro device, but neither of them are as good as the Surface Pro as a 2-in-1 device. 

Maybe you should try one to see if it fits your workflow. 

If that’s an XPS15 good luck with the performance  throttling off the power cord! (Technically you’ll have 3 desktops)

Is there a modern notebook that doesn't throttle, including Macbook Pro's? 

GeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 53
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Say what you will, but I am seeing more and more of these in the wild as laptop replacements, especially with companies that have migrated or are migrating to Office 365.
    My company just started offering them (Surfaces, not sure exactly which configurations) to anybody who needs a laptop replacement. They are compact, light and easy to travel with. Since for many, it's just e-mail, Office programs and customized software like SAP, I'm sure it's fine.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Beautiful designs! What spectacular hardware, now I understand why the Microsoft stores are so crowded when the Apple stores are empty. Well done.
    You sarcasm is actually weird. People do not need to crowd anywhere. that is Apple fanatics specialty only and I find it odd cult even though many Apple products are really good. That also does not mean Surface is not popular. If you are in California you will see Apple all over place but come to NYC or somewhere to Texas and you will be for shock. Yes people still have Apple computers and iPads and iPhones (I do myself), but majority people use Microsoft Windows and even Surface for business. Somehow Apple does not cut for large corporations that have complex business structures (finance). And somehow we all suffer one-vendor monopoly hostilities and arrogance.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Microsoft still trying to make the Surface a “thing”.

I had an SP4 Pro. As a tablet it was horrible, so what’s the point? You’re better off getting a regular Windows laptop instead.

If Apple wanted to they could pull off the 2-in-1 much better than Microsoft simply because the tablet mode would be like the iPad - well executed with lots of tablet optimized software.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 32 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The reason why Apple should just shrug at this is because Microsoft can’t sell them. Last year, the sales of the total Surface line was a bit above $5 billion. That was for the entire year. It was also broken up between all of these products. The best selling line, the Surface Pro, may, and I repeat - may, have reached 3 million. Maybe. The rest are just a few hundred thousand in sales. That’s for the full year.

no matter what Microsoft has done with these lines, the sales remain stagnant. They’re not a competitor. They’re all niche products. They’re much too expensive for the audience they’re intended for. Mostly, sales of the Surface Pro line end in IT departments.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobrabrucemcchia
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Microsoft still trying to make the Surface a “thing”.

I had an SP4 Pro. As a tablet it was horrible, so what’s the point? You’re better off getting a regular Windows laptop instead.
    Interesting how Apple copied some things from the terrible SP4 Pro by adding stylus support and side-by-side applications.  Maybe the SP isn't as bad as you said..

If Apple wanted to they could pull off the 2-in-1 much better than Microsoft simply because the tablet mode would be like the iPad - well executed with lots of tablet optimized software.

What Apple did was push iPad Pro as a desktop replacement with the Smart Keyboard, and it's has the lots of tablets optimized software you mention.  But still, the Surface Pro does a better job as 2-in-1 device / desktop replacement.

williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 53
    macapfel said:
    I certainly won't switch to this gear. But I have to say, they are catching up. Sure, rounded edges, overall design and even videos are copied from Apple. The question, however, seems to be: Can Apple up the game, think different and get a lead again – or is the competition catching up and be on par with Apple in the next years. Currently, my impression is Apple mainly leads with the Watch (and significantly here!) and maybe AirPods. But regarding Phone, Tablet and Computer – Apple has no clear lead for now.
    Yeh, most of the comments here are based more on a hatred of Microsoft and love of Apple rather than reality.   I guess that's the way things are these days:   It's "My side is good, Your side is bad" regardless of the facts.

I would love to hear what Steve's comments would have been about the Surface line.   I am sure he would find something to criticize.  But, for the most part, particularly in his more mature and settled days, he could see a product for what it was.

For myself, I'm not sure if these products are great or just mediocre.   But, I have to give Microsoft credit for innovative designs.   Apple seems stuck in rehashing old form factors -- which is not all bad -- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  But, it is getting to be time that they came up with something innovative in the iPad/MacBook/Mac lines....  I think that they probably will in the year or maybe two.  They're due to spring one.
    These aren’t bad products, overall, but they’re meaningless products. For a time, before Ballmer left. Microsoft was supposed to be known as a software, services and devices business. That focus has changed since he left. They’ve given up on the devices part of the description. But it’s odd, that even though this small division consistently loses money for Microsoft, they continue it.

What’s the point? We read, from posters, and a few writers, that these are reference designs to enorage OEMs to make better gear, but that’s nonsense. That’s used as an excuse when something doesn’t sell, but is continued.

a major problem with the Surface Pro line is the screen size. It’s way too small for Windows. Even Win10, which is supposed to be more finger friendly, isn’t, you still NEED a keyboard to do anything much. A stylus is required, or a trackpad, or mouse. Not that’s its nice to have these things, but required. Because of the small screen trying to run what is still a Desktop OS, the high resolution of the screen can only be used for some things. The native resolution is brought down to a much lower level, though I forget exactly what it is right now. So there’s much less information on the screen.

the only thing I like about these devices is the longer battery life. It’s inexcusable that the iPad still is rated at 10 hours. It should be 14 by now.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobrabrucemcchia
  • Reply 35 of 53
    danvm said:
    mcdave said:
    I have a SP4, and what you said that it doesn't do anything well is not true.  With the Surface Dock I have no issues at all working with it as a desktop.  As a tablet, I see no difference compared to an iPad Pro when browsing, annotating PDF documents, reading email, watching movies with Netflix, playing music or using social apps.  Even Apple copied some elements from the Surface Pro, as support for a stylus and side-by-side applications.  Too bad it doesn't have the long list of apps of an iPad.  Plus is far better than an iPad + Smart Keyboard as a desktop replacement since it has a better backlit keyboard and trackpad.  It's obvious that is not the best working with it on the lap, but a part from that it's has been a very good experience.  There are cases where a desktop, laptop or iPad are a better option than a Surface Pro device, but neither of them are as good as the Surface Pro as a 2-in-1 device. 

I’ve used all of the Surface Pro models to differing extents. I can’t say that any were pleasurable. Usable, yes. But that’s not really saying much. No matter what, when all is said and done, this is still a Desktop OS requiring a keyboard, and a real pointing device, to get much of anything done. The screen is simply too small for Windows. What I’m amazed about is thAt Win10 isn’t that much more optimized for fingers than was Win XP back when Gates said, around 2000, that within 5 years most computers would be Windows “tablets” (really convertible laptops). He was wrong. Those never sold more than 2.5 million a year, until they disappeared when the iPad arrived. Win 8 was supposed to fix those problems, but we all know how that worked out.

the current Surface Pro tablets don’t sell more than 3 million a year, and that may be optimistic. Too expensive for the windows audience, too limited in what it does, and how it does it and too clumsy.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 36 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    KITA said:

In terms of specs, the Studio 2 is already a year out of date, as was the first Studio at launch. Odd that Microsoft is doing this, especially when the Surface Book 2 launched with some brand new hardware last year (one of the first batch of laptops to use quad core U series chips).

Microsoft is holding off their redesigns for next year. Likely to go along with Intel's 10 nm processors.

Edit:

Turns out Microsoft is also getting held back by Intel.

2017 Surface Laptop & Surface Pro 
    • Intel Core m3 (2 cores) + HD 615
    • Intel Core i5 (2 cores) + HD 620
    • Intel Core i7 (2 cores) + Iris Plus 640

2018 Surface Laptop 2 & Surface Pro 6
    • Intel Core i5 (4 cores) + UHD 620
    • Intel Core i7 (4 cores) + UHD 620
    No Core m options on the low end and no Iris Plus options for the i7.

Any more clarity on which CPU models? I’m still guessing which 8th gen Core i5 And i7 model with UHD 620 iGPUs. Is MS going to offer a model with Iris Plus graphics in the 2018 models of the Surface Laptop and Surface Pro? As it stands, it looks like they’ve increased the core count to 4 CPUs per Coffee Lake, but they are not offering an Iris Plus option which is about 30%, maybe 50%, faster than the UHD 620 GPUs. A bit of a step backwards there.

Wading through Intel’s ARK website is a fucking act of torture. It looks like all 2018 Surface Pro and Surface Laptop processors are of the 15 W processors, which Wikipedia doesn’t seem to list in their comparison tables. So, i7-8650U?

• Reply 37 of 53
    melgross said:
    macapfel said:

These aren’t bad products, overall, but they’re meaningless products. For a time, before Ballmer left. Microsoft was supposed to be known as a software, services and devices business. That focus has changed since he left. They’ve given up on the devices part of the description. But it’s odd, that even though this small division consistently loses money for Microsoft, they continue it.

I don't think the MS focus have changed.  They still huge in the software and services side, specially with business / enterprises.  They just added the Surface line, among other things.  And based in the latest quarters reports, they aren't losing money anymore. 

What’s the point? We read, from posters, and a few writers, that these are reference designs to enorage OEMs to make better gear, but that’s nonsense. That’s used as an excuse when something doesn’t sell, but is continued.

a major problem with the Surface Pro line is the screen size. It’s way too small for Windows. Even Win10, which is supposed to be more finger friendly, isn’t, you still NEED a keyboard to do anything much. A stylus is required, or a trackpad, or mouse. Not that’s its nice to have these things, but required. Because of the small screen trying to run what is still a Desktop OS, the high resolution of the screen can only be used for some things. The native resolution is brought down to a much lower level, though I forget exactly what it is right now. So there’s much less information on the screen.

the only thing I like about these devices is the longer battery life. It’s inexcusable that the iPad still is rated at 10 hours. It should be 14 by now.

In my experience, I have no major issues with Windows 10 and the screen size.  When I want to use it as a tablet, I switch to tablet mode and it works very fine to browse, watch movies, uses social apps and annotate documents.  No keyboard / trackpad required for these tasks.  IMO, the keyboard requirement is more related to the tasks than the device.  If I need to work in a spreadsheet or document, I'll have a better experience with a Surface Pro than an iPad.  And it doesn't means that the iPad is a bad device. It's just limited for same tasks where a Surface Pro does better, while there are things where an iPad will do better.

GeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 53
    melgross said:
    danvm said:
    mcdave said:

I’ve used all of the Surface Pro models to differing extents. I can’t say that any were pleasurable. Usable, yes. But that’s not really saying much. No matter what, when all is said and done, this is still a Desktop OS requiring a keyboard, and a real pointing device, to get much of anything done. The screen is simply too small for Windows. What I’m amazed about is thAt Win10 isn’t that much more optimized for fingers than was Win XP back when Gates said, around 2000, that within 5 years most computers would be Windows “tablets” (really convertible laptops). He was wrong. Those never sold more than 2.5 million a year, until they disappeared when the iPad arrived. Win 8 was supposed to fix those problems, but we all know how that worked out.

the current Surface Pro tablets don’t sell more than 3 million a year, and that may be optimistic. Too expensive for the windows audience, too limited in what it does, and how it does it and too clumsy.
    I don't need the keyboard / trackpad in a Surface Pro if I'm browsing, watching movies or using social apps.  But if I'm going to work in a long document or complex spreadsheet, that keyboard/trackpad will be useful, doesn't matter if it's a Surface Pro or an iPad Pro.  But the Surface Pro gives you a better experience, since it has a trackpad, while Apple force you use a touch UI and touch apps with a vertical screen.  Don't you think that's clumsy?
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 53
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Well aren’t you the free thinker! /s
  • Reply 40 of 53
    danvm said:
    melgross said:
    macapfel said:

I don't think the MS focus have changed.  They still huge in the software and services side, specially with business / enterprises.  They just added the Surface line, among other things.  And based in the latest quarters reports, they aren't losing money anymore. 

In my experience, I have no major issues with Windows 10 and the screen size.  When I want to use it as a tablet, I switch to tablet mode and it works very fine to browse, watch movies, uses social apps and annotate documents.  No keyboard / trackpad required for these tasks.  IMO, the keyboard requirement is more related to the tasks than the device.  If I need to work in a spreadsheet or document, I'll have a better experience with a Surface Pro than an iPad.  And it doesn't means that the iPad is a bad device. It's just limited for same tasks where a Surface Pro does better, while there are things where an iPad will do better.

There was a time when Microsoft was very interested in producing hardware as a major product line. It didn’t work out, and so they changed their focus. Now, if you look at their mobile software references on their site, they say that the best mobile experience for Microsoft software is with an iPhone and iPad. They know where things are going.

the Surface Pro is not a real mobile device. It’s a light portable Windows device. It’s very different. Microsoft has been trying to get into mobile, which requires a real mobile OS, but they keep failing at it.