The Apple versus Microsoft hardware double-standard rears up again with the latest Surface...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    JWSC said:
    hypoluxa said:
    epicurus said:
    I am stuck using a windows machine at work for a few projects but use my Macbook Pro for every labor intensive, My lenovo workstation at work three months out of the box had to be completely redone as some update cause the whole operating system to be completely rendered unusable and drive had to be reformatted and everything reinstalled a hassle indeed. That aside the same applications on windows and on mac from adobe just feels more polished and normal on the mac, i can open and process hundred photos at a time on the macbook but the windows machine photoshop freezes if i attempt to open more then 20 at a time.. everything just is quicker onnthe mac, even adding fonts, easy to find and install not always the case on the windows machine. Sure the Lenovo was cheap but it’s a 2017 model and can’t handle the workload that my 2011 macbook pro does.. Windows seems great for utilitarian work like office, accounting, email, gaming, but when it comes down to me getting photography, design and programming done that i solely do on the mac. Ill gladly pay more for a computer system that just works and needs very little maintenance over eight years almost now... My 2006 macbook still works just slow, i’ve never had a windows machine work longer then three years
    Exactly. The Windows environment is a giant Charlie Foxtrot, for the most part. I don't get why MS just doesn't stick to software, and making that better.
    Agree.  MS needs to keep their focus on software.

Twenty years ago Apple realized that their OS architecture was at a dead end as a result of their failures with Copland and Taligent.  NeXT and UNIX and Steve Jobs saves their collective asses.  If only MS would wake up and just get on with rewriting Windows from the ground up using UNIX, they’d have much better security and stability.  Everyone would benefit.

I might even cheer for MS a little bit.  (Wait..!  What did I just say...?)
    MS has already rewritten Windows in the form of cross platform toolchains and cloud services. People seemed to have missed this and are getting side tracked by reference designs like the Surface. The Surface has always been about a set of products which dog food Microsoft's computing ideals. It is then up to OEMs to optimize and mass produce.

That being said: .NET, Azure, SQL Server, and PowerShell are all cross platform (Linux, Mac, Windows). Nadella is certainly the Steve Jobs of this epoch for MS.

Microsoft quite frankly doesn't care if you never buy a Surface PC. The above strategy is printing them money and winning loyalty. VS Code is widly celebrated and Typescript is being adopted more commonly a solid language for large JS projects. Azure is a monumental success story that neither Google or Apple have quite been able to push aside.

Microsoft is very much awake. Teams are trying to keep Windows relevant because it has a huge ROI from small business, gamers, and budget users. The preference to use Windows for a give  set of use cases is celebrated and rewarded by Microsoft (have you seen thier work in accessibly devices in gaming?) but you no longer lose out on services/offerings outside of those cases by going to a different plaform.

This whole article is sad. Like people comparing a Ford Taurus with a Porche and mocking Ford's efforts in the space. It just comes across as fairly myoptic to the company, its strategy or the clear evidence that Ford shifted to trucks and the F150 made more money than Facebook in 2017. This giant article comparing a Porche 911 to a Ford Fiesta and asking why Ford can get away with price bumps for adding Bluetooth but Porche gets attacked for fit and finish upgrades and 10k mufflers is somewhat laughable.

Everyone I know with a Mac also has MS Office installed. The current motto of MS might as well be, "Use whatever OS you want. We still get paid." 

Use the right tool for the job but these arguments about hammers not being able to screw things in is baffling.

I am sorry that MS can't fit _everyones_ use case but if that is the qualifier then let's start and end every MacBook conversation with the point that it's a junk choice for gaming.

Oh, you can also upgrade a PC from like Windows 3.11 all the way up to Windows 10 on good hardware. Pretty sure _everything_ Apple made prior to 2005 (hardware _and_ software) switch to Intel is in a trash can right?

This is article is the Fox News of computer reporting. Apple must be in trouble if the only news is crying about comparisons no one is making.
    singularitygatorguywilliamlondonCheeseFreeze
  • Reply 22 of 62
    The Surface Studio has. 2.9 gig i7 laptop processor while the iMac has a 4.2 gig i7 desktop processor. Which one do you think is faster?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Am I allowed to say, "The one that benchmarks faster for the tasks I use most often." 

Though if you're a numbers guy I've got a 5,000 horse power car with 50lbs of torque I'd like to sell you. On a clear day, in the salt flats, in a vacuum it'll smoke anything you throw at it.
    mactommy said:
    The Surface Studio has. 2.9 gig i7 laptop processor while the iMac has a 4.2 gig i7 desktop processor. Which one do you think is faster?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 62
    I was a PC guy for a long time and 2 years ago I bought a MacBook Pro and surface pro 4.  The surface was mainly used for business note taking but the pen only worked half the time so I sold it but I know a lot of people that have them and love them.  I love my Mac and now have an iPhone, iPad Pro, Apple Watch and Apple TV.  However it took me a long time to try Apple products because of annoying Apple fanboys like this author.  This article is embarrassing.  Guess what, the touchbar on my MacBook is useless.  My MacBook Pro needs occasional rebooting and sometimes safari crashes on it.  The keyboard isn’t my favorite either.  It’s not perfect just because it has an Apple logo on it.  Your first comment blasting “the fastest Surface yet” is the most hypocritical whining I’ve seen.  Apple touts the same exact thing on every device they release.  I’ve always said, I sure hope their new, shiny iPhone isn’t slower than the previous model.

Sorry, I just had to voice my displease regarding these fanboy one sided articles.  
    gatorguywilliamlondonphilboogiemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Honestly this article is really terrible why are you compairing a Surface Studio to an iPad pro? Shouldn't you be comparing a Surface pro to an iPad not a Surface Studio?
    Both serve similar but different purposes yes both have pen inputs but the Studio is a Wacom Cintiq alternative that you see not too different from a Mac mini or iMac setup hooked up to a Cintiq and not an iPad that you can carry arround in a bag to make notes, draw, and take anywhere just like the Surface Pro? Yes the issues like the 7th gen cpu in the Studio 2 Thunderbolt 3, and type C from Pro 6 that others are questioned and disappointed at Microsoft for their odd and terrible choices. The resolution the Studio from two years ago already had that resolution and other than watching media 16:9 is near straight up inferior to 3:2 like who else wants more limited screen area? Its slightly worse in ppi than the iMac's lcd but better than the Cintiq pro in ppi that the device is actually targeted at. Surface isn't the only brand to get a pc from just like Pixel and with Apple you are stuck with only Apple. Please do some actual research and not compare a $3499 pc against a $600 iPad pro stating how cheaper and portable it is compaired to a Aio pc thats not even portable.
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondonphilboogie
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Why waste time posting a piece like this?

Mac or PC. They are both tools built in the same hardware. To each their own. The story can be found a million times iver on the internet, for or against Mac/PC. Just swap the two and you get the point you want. 

It does not matter. Why write about it?
    williamlondonphilboogiesingularitymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Win 10 is a disaster in my eyes. the block design looks ugly and settings are spreed out everywhere = not easy to find, on top of that you get disturbing notifications and ads.
    williamlondonRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 62
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    AI seems to forget that Microsoft is not a hardware company.   When they sell hardware it's mostly to exploit and demonstrate their software.

And, with that, Microsoft left Apple in the dust.
    Nearly a decade ago they developed an OS that works either in touch-screen mode or touchpad mode.   And, since then they have proceeded to refine and perfect it. 

Meanwhile, Apple is stuck back a decade or two ago where you still need to buy and carry two devices:  One for touch-screen and one for touchpad mode.

The Windows OS provides freedom to the user:  he can use touch-screen when that works best then switch to touchpad when that works best.

Apple is lagging behind.
    I can hear Steve now:   "This is crap!   Fix it!"
    ...  And, I am sure that they will.  Apple has always hated it when Microsoft made them look bad.

williamlondonphilboogiemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 62
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I read the pro Surface reviews. Now my garbage can is no longer empty.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Ah, the Microsoft Zune.

We hardly knew ye.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 62
    sreesree Posts: 152member

Not according to their revenues...

GeorgeBMac said:

Nearly a decade ago they developed an OS that works either in touch-screen mode or touchpad mode.   And, since then they have proceeded to refine and perfect it.  

Meanwhile, Apple is stuck back a decade or two ago where you still need to buy and carry two devices:  One for touch-screen and one for touchpad mode.

The Windows OS provides freedom to the user:  he can use touch-screen when that works best then switch to touchpad when that works best.

Apple is lagging behind.
    Seriously not perfected. It is lame in the first place, and microsoft has struggled to make it work is a more appropriate statement. 

GeorgeBMac said:

Apple is lagging behind.

There are two types of laptop buyers. People who can afford to buy a mac today, and people who are hoping they can afford one in the future.

Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 62
    The one thing I like about this is at least Microsoft is trying. They finally got into hardware and must be making enough money to stay in it. If they get better at it, it will force Apple to come up with new ideas other than a touchbar, USB C replacing everything and a fragile topcase. 

They need another home run like the MacBook Air. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 62
    What a sad article. Pure junk.
    singularity
  • Reply 34 of 62
    AI seems to forget that Microsoft is not a hardware company.   When they sell hardware it's mostly to exploit and demonstrate their software.

Apple is lagging behind.
    ...  And, I am sure that they will.  Apple has always hated it when Microsoft made them look bad.

At work people have been given HP 2 in 1 laptops where the screen can be used with touch and all are running Windows 10. In the whole time I’ve been in the company, nobody has removed the screen to use it as a tablet, the only time I ever see people use its touch capability at all is when they want to swipe up or down the screen or to tap a large button. Nobody ever chooses from menus, uses tools or anything remotely similar in touch mode. I was training four people yesterday and two said “I never use the touch screen as it’s so small and you can’t see what you’re doing”. These devices have screens about the size of my iPad’s but I would never use them to work on (We plug them into large monitors at work ) whereas I can easily work on my iPad for hours with no problem.

Because Apple made the correct decision to make an iPad with touch screen and laptops without, Microsoft felt they had to differentiate themselves from Apple by combining the two. You say that the Windows user can use touch-screen when that works best. The thing is, its best is never as good as an iPad because it’s a kludge designed for force a desktop OS into a tablet and both are compromised for the worse.

also, in breaking news: Steve Jobs is dead and cannot talk to you and you can’t hear him. And a final comment from SJ:

“We’ve done tons of user testing on this,” says Jobs. “and it turns out it doesn’t work. Touch surfaces don’t want to be vertical. It gives great demo. But after a short period of time, you start to fatigue. After an extended period of time, your arm wants to fall off. It doesn’t work. It’s ergonomically terrible. Touch surface want to be horizontal.”

Appleout is lagging behind? Hmmm.
    Rayz2016propodDan_Dilgerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 62
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Apple is lagging behind.

At work people have been given HP 2 in 1 laptops where the screen can be used with touch and all are running Windows 10. In the whole time I’ve been in the company, nobody has removed the screen to use it as a tablet, the only time I ever see people use its touch capability at all is when they want to swipe up or down the screen or to tap a large button. Nobody ever chooses from menus, uses tools or anything remotely similar in touch mode. I was training four people yesterday and two said “I never use the touch screen as it’s so small and you can’t see what you’re doing”. These devices have screens about the size of my iPad’s but I would never use them to work on (We plug them into large monitors at work ) whereas I can easily work on my iPad for hours with no problem.

Because Apple made the correct decision to make an iPad with touch screen and laptops without, Microsoft felt they had to differentiate themselves from Apple by combining the two. You say that the Windows user can use touch-screen when that works best. The thing is, its best is never as good as an iPad because it’s a kludge designed for force a desktop OS into a tablet and both are compromised for the worse.

also, in breaking news: Steve Jobs is dead and cannot talk to you and you can’t hear him. And a final comment from SJ:

“We’ve done tons of user testing on this,” says Jobs. “and it turns out it doesn’t work. Touch surfaces don’t want to be vertical. It gives great demo. But after a short period of time, you start to fatigue. After an extended period of time, your arm wants to fall off. It doesn’t work. It’s ergonomically terrible. Touch surface want to be horizontal.”

Most office type functions require a cursor.  That's why laptops have them and that's why you see office workers using mostly the cursor/touchpad.   But, that doesn't apply to all functions.   That's why touchscreen ipads do well.  Because you don't see office workers working on tablets doesn't mean that nobody works on touchscreen tablets.

And, sorry, but Steve called bull on poorly designed products on a pretty regular basis.

And, the Steve quote you sited only applies to touchscreen laptops -- not 2 in 1 devices.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,258member
    propod said:
    Win 10 is a disaster in my eyes. the block design looks ugly and settings are spreed out everywhere = not easy to find, on top of that you get disturbing notifications and ads.
    Microsoft has always been really, really bad at designing user interfaces. They take non-intuitive to a new level ever few years it seems. They always seem to pick really garish color schemes also. 
    Its the thing that drew many of us to Macs in the first place. 
    Is MacOS perfect? Of course not. But it’s vastly better from an organizational and useable standpoint, in my opinion. 
    propodGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 62
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member

Apple is lagging behind.

What you said makes sense for desktop applications that you want to interact with a touch screen. But when you change to tablet mode and browse the internet, or use mobile apps like MS Office, Netflix, Instagram and Facebook, among many others, the experience is completely different for the best.  Would be better if Windows had the long list of apps iOS and Android have.  As soon as you in an app, I see very few differences between my iPad and my SP4.  Windows 10 don't force you to a specific UI.  You can switch between desktop and tablet mode.  Compare that to Apple and the iPad, where you are forced to work with a vertical screen, touch UI and touch apps when you connect to Smart Keyboard.  IMO, Windows 10 have the advantage. 

I don't understand how, after the "tons of user testing", Apple now said that an iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard could be a desktop replacement, when you are forced to a touch UI and touch screen in vertical position without trackpad. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 62
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Ugh article.  So whiny.
    hammeroftruthsingularity
  • Reply 39 of 62
    I have confidence Apple will eventually find a way to make a large touch surface computer work. I can especially see the sense behind such a device for artists, product designers, architects, video editors, musicians and other professions. It would obviously be a waste for a typist or someone doing flowcharts all day, but there's a fairly large niche which could benefit.
    GeorgeBMacPaymon
  • Reply 40 of 62
    benagebenage Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    hypoluxa said:
    epicurus said:
    I am stuck using a windows machine at work for a few projects but use my Macbook Pro for every labor intensive, My lenovo workstation at work three months out of the box had to be completely redone as some update cause the whole operating system to be completely rendered unusable and drive had to be reformatted and everything reinstalled a hassle indeed. That aside the same applications on windows and on mac from adobe just feels more polished and normal on the mac, i can open and process hundred photos at a time on the macbook but the windows machine photoshop freezes if i attempt to open more then 20 at a time.. everything just is quicker onnthe mac, even adding fonts, easy to find and install not always the case on the windows machine. Sure the Lenovo was cheap but it’s a 2017 model and can’t handle the workload that my 2011 macbook pro does.. Windows seems great for utilitarian work like office, accounting, email, gaming, but when it comes down to me getting photography, design and programming done that i solely do on the mac. Ill gladly pay more for a computer system that just works and needs very little maintenance over eight years almost now... My 2006 macbook still works just slow, i’ve never had a windows machine work longer then three years
    Exactly. The Windows environment is a giant Charlie Foxtrot, for the most part. I don't get why MS just doesn't stick to software, and making that better.
    Well one could argue the same for Apple. Lets face it, both operating systems have their issues. For every person having issues with Windows, there's one with problems on a Mac. Ironically, you could argue Apple should have this down pat considering their OS only runs on their own hardware, vs Microsofts broad platform support.
    singularity