Apple showcases bokeh-enhanced Portrait photos shot with iPhone XS

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Wednesday took the unusual step of officially announcing a series of photos shot using the Portrait mode on the iPhone XS, specifically calling attention to the Depth Control feature which lets people adjust simulated depth-of-field after a photo has been taken.

iPhone XS camera

An update "coming soon" will bring Depth Control to the Camera app's real-time preview, Apple said. The company has teased the upgrade in recent weeks, which could arrive as soon as iOS 12.1.

View this post on Instagram

@allysoncamille you're so French . Glad we caught each other on such short notice. #shotoniphonexsmax #iphone

A post shared by H A Y I M (@hayimheron) on Oct 18, 2018 at 12:37pm PDT

Spaziergang bei dem schnen Wetter #Herbst #shotoniphone #ShotOniPhoneXSMax #iPhoneXS #portraitphotography #family #kids pic.twitter.com/WBT1YZRVyU

-- heisenberg0512 (@heisenberg05122)

The highlighted photos were shot in places such as France, Germany, Myanmar, and the African Savannah, and pulled from Twitter and Instagram posts with the hashtag #ShotoniPhone. Apple appears to have approached posters asking for permission to use their images.

The photos are mostly close-ups of people, except for one which uses Portrait mode to isolate leaves.

View this post on Instagram

Shot on iPhone XS ??? Location:: #Shrewsbury #Shropshire #iPhone #iPhoneXS #iPhoneography #iPhonePhoto #ShotOniPhone #ShotOniPhoneXS #ArtOfVisuals #LensBible #Main_Vision #Lifestyle #Travel #Exposure #Light #Mood #UK #Love #Amazing #View #POTD #InstaGood #AGameOfTones #Global_Hotshotz #Master_Shots #PhotosOfBritain #MoodyGrams #Mobiography #ShropshirePhotographer

A post shared by xs_??s???s ???? (@xs_visuals) on Oct 9, 2018 at 1:49am PDT

Apple's "Shot on iPhone" campaign has been running for many years, beginning when the company realized iPhone photos were beginning to equal those from compact cameras and even DSLRs. Some magazines and film directors now occasionally use iPhones for professional shoots.

The iPhone XS sports a similar dual-camera system to that of the iPhone X, but with a larger sensor for better light sensitivity, and enhancements made possible by the A12 Bionic's Neural Engine and an Apple-designed image signal processor. Aside from Depth Control, one example is "Smart" HDR, which is said to be faster and more accurate than earlier versions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

These look great. Although it’s hard to reproduce the naturally creamy smooth bokeh of real glass, Computational photography is getting better and better. And it will continue to improve. It truly is amazing how far iphoneography has come.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Not only with the Xs or max, I have an iPhone X, facing the same charging issues, can’t wait for 12.1.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Beautiful! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Apple on Wednesday took the unusual step of officially announcing a series of photos shot using the Portrait mode on the iPhone XS, specifically calling attention to the Depth Control feature which lets people adjust simulated depth-of-field after a photo has been taken.
    Simulated?  It looks pretty real to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    24/7 availability and low weight of my iPhone camera is more important to me than better image quality. In 95% of all situations the image quality of my iphone Xs Max is good enough. With each iteration the camera quality gets better. My Sony DSR has left the building and will not return.
    watto_cobra