A year with Apple's 5K iMac: Still the best Mac for your money

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    lkrupp said:

If anything the Mac Mini should be discontinued.
    Just because you can’t think of a use case for a Mac Mini does not mean that one doesn’t exist. 
    My company buys scores of them for video linking applications. And they fit in a rack better than any other Mac.

I personally want one because I want to use my own monitor, a monitor that can take a secondary input. E.g. an xBox.
    An iMac monitor cannot take input from an Xbox and quite simply I don’t need or have the space for two monitors. 

Aside from all this, MacMini are still a good gateway drug to get Windows users who already have their own KVM into the Mac ecosystem.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 42 of 46
    lkrupp said:
    I am still praying for a new Mac Mini.
    Mr Tim & Jony ,please grant our wish for a new Mac Mini with a SSD option.
    If anything the Mac Mini should be discontinued. It has never been very Apple like in design. It’s downright ugly. It was brought out because of all the whining about a cheaper headless Mac from the few who don’t like all-in-ones. The Mini has never sold very well because its market is limited to a tiny minority of Mac users. That kind of market is best left to the cheap PCs you can buy at Walmart for $400. I hope Apple kills this abomination once and for all. 
    Mac Mini is the cheapest way to get macOS. Mac Mini is a direct comparison to Intel's NUC.
    I highly doubt they'll be discontinuing it any time soon, even if they don't refresh it.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 43 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I have the same iMac and I have had issues with the Dell 4k monitors I added to it. They lose the display signal over the TB3/DisplayPort connection every now and then and I need to safe boot the iMac to get the monitors back some times. It is just one of those things I live with but it is annoying. There are still issues with external displays on iMacs if you go beyond standard 1080p. Apple never properly replaced their own branded displays.
    I have a Mac Pro with three monitors, an Apple 27" 2560 x 1440 and two Dells, one 4K one same as the Apple.  Either HDMI or TB2/DisplayPort work perfectly on the 4K Dell all the time.  However, the Mac Pro doesn't have TB3 only the TB2/DisplayPort.  So I wonder if you switched to HDMI you have better results?  That or a dodgy cable?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    T-START-STAR Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Hi All,

Any idea if it would be possible to upgrade the CPU to Intel 8th gen, intel saying 8gen support DDR4 ram, which ships with iMac 2017.
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025694/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Thanks
    T
  • Reply 45 of 46
    FuzzyDiceFuzzyDice Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    Bought the 2017 about two weeks ago myself! Got it for $1450 (Rx 570 4GB / 8 Gig / 1 TB Fusion / i5 model) and to me the newer model just wasn’t worth the $400 extra to get 2 more cores! For that extra $400 I can upgrade to 32 Gigs of RAM and add AppleCare, that’s a no brainer to me. Honestly, I live the iMac! My only other machine is a custom built thread-ripper 12 core PC Desktop with a higher end GPU and I still use the iMac more! Even today, it’s a very good deal for a machine!