2018 iPad Pro: everything you need to know

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    This seems to be a real problem with Apple in recent years. It releases a cool new hardware feature, and then...crickets.  Old Apple would introduce new hardware and in parallel wow you with new software capabilities that hardware enabled. Ten years ago you would have seen a demonstration of how impressively Apple would leverage that new port into an astounding improvement in capability and function.  It meant for Apple products, the sum was greater than the parts.

Modern Apple seems stodgy, all glamour and no functionality. Establishment, where supply chain efficiency and margins is all. Software development not working well with hardware development. The pirate flag doesn’t fly in cupertino anymore.

So modern Apple puts a USB C port in, but keeps functionality pretty much the same as a lightning port? Shouldn’t have this been the time, the opportunity to expand the iOS software capabilities for the iPad to match, if not exceed traditional laptop flexibility and capabilities? Use that USB C port introduction to give the iPad full file system management, the ability to use a wide range of peripherals, capabilities no one else has thought of. Instead, USB C is introduced, and then: oh, it means you can attach an external display if you ever wanted to do that (the was no demonstration about how useful that would be).   How cool!
    edited October 2018 mrboba1
  • Reply 22 of 71

Shane_H said:
    "This means users can connect an external 5K display, extra storage or even charge their iPhone with a USB-C to Lightning cable." Define extra storage? I cannot find anything about that on Apples Site. Looks like it can see the same external devices as before, Like cameras, keyboards and such. USB-C Hard drives and Flash drives are not mentioned.
    Someone apparently snuck a USB-C flashdrive in and yeah, apparently the only file types currently recognized are photos and videos, exactly like the camera connection kit.

C'mon, Apple, if you want me to take this seriously as a computer let me copy a Pages file onto a USB stick and have the files app be able to take it off.

You share a Pages document to the flash drive’s app instead of Files app. What is the difference?
    That is a cludgy work around. It should be system wide.  iPad has far too many work around that are holding it back. Also, corporate world doesn’t like adding apps for that kind of functionality, and it relies on the capabilities, trustworthiness and desire of the USB stick vendor. If full file management is built in corporate IT would be more comfortable. For Apple, it should always be “it just works”.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 23 of 71
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    seankill said:
    Why is the iPad considered so thin? It’s not..... look at the camera bump, that’s the true thickness of the device. Worse, it doesn’t sit flat without a case. 

That aside, nice device

If the iPad was red but the camera bump was blue would you then say that the iPad is not red but blue?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    If there was the full-blown Logic Pro for iPad Pro I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  It would be the perfect interface to my keyboards and guitars and Logic Pro.  I have to believe it is in the works given the freaking power of this thing!
    MisterKitSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 71
    If the RAM increase is limited to the 1TB model, that's probably the only thing that would qualify as a disappointment to me with these iPad Pros.
    Just ordered a 64 GB. It is $1,150 with Apple Care and the Pencil 2 and tax. That is a lot of $, and it would be nice to have the 6GB of RAM.  We currently have an iPad Air 2. That has only 1 GB of RAM, according to everymac.com.  The Air 2 still works fine, actually. So I am not too concerned about the RAM not being sufficient.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 71
    The reason 6GB RAM is only in the top level storage is Cook trying to encourage/ manipulate people to buy the highest margin version. Establishment behaviour.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Certainly looks like Adobe is on board full steam. Full Photoshop alone puts iPad Pro in a new league. iPad Pro looks to have enough power to run anything that a desktop can. The surprise would be if more and more high end software does not come over.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 71
    MacPro said:
    If there was the full-blown Logic Pro for iPad Pro I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  It would be the perfect interface to my keyboards and guitars and Logic Pro.  I have to believe it is in the works given the freaking power of this thing!
    I'm very confident it's in the works now.
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 71
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Love everything about the new IPad but I will wait to get one as it is in some ways a first generation device again as the software like Photoshop ans Autocad wont be bailable for a while, as well as the more iPad specific iOS 13 is still a whiles away. I will get one for sure, possibly next years when everything about it;s potential is more fleshed out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 71
    qwwera said:
    Love everything about the new IPad but I will wait to get one as it is in some ways a first generation device again as the software like Photoshop ans Autocad wont be bailable for a while, as well as the more iPad specific iOS 13 is still a whiles away. I will get one for sure, possibly next years when everything about it;s potential is more fleshed out.
    I don't agree it's an entirely new model, but being careful about buying a changed piece of Apple hardware would be prudent.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 31 of 71
    'As rumored, the 3.5mm headphone jack is gone. Users have to shell out for a pair of Bluetooth headphones -- like Apple's AirPods -- or buy a $9 audio adapter.'

Anyone have a link to where I can buy this $9 audio adapter ? 
  • Reply 32 of 71
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    hammerd2 said:
    'As rumored, the 3.5mm headphone jack is gone. Users have to shell out for a pair of Bluetooth headphones -- like Apple's AirPods -- or buy a $9 audio adapter.'

Amazon.com
  • Reply 33 of 71
    I don’t know how Logic Pro X would hold up on the latest iPad Pro. Logic really needs more RAM to work well. I don’t know how a maxed out project would load into iPad with many tracks, plug-ins, virtual instruments. What would make sense would be an in beetween version. Something that would give you more than iOS GarageBand, maybe even enough to finish some deep projects, and flip over to full Logic Pro X on Mac if more is needed.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    hammerd2 said:

Did you check Apples website?
    mazda 3swatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 71
    Blunt said:
    seankill said:
    Why is the iPad considered so thin? It’s not..... look at the camera bump, that’s the true thickness of the device. Worse, it doesn’t sit flat without a case. 

That aside, nice device

If the iPad was red but the camera bump was blue would you then say that the iPad is not red but blue?
    The camera IS a component, or part, of the iPad; however, the iPad is not a component of the camera. One could then argue the iPad is both blue and red in your case. It is misleading to say the Ipad is X" thick, however, its thickest point is X+Y" thick. Y being the additional thickness of the camera. I have last years iPad Pro 10.5. The biggest issue with it is that without a case, it doesn't sit flat. You could argue the iPad just needs a case, thus it is not X thick but X+Z thick. Z being the thickness of the case. 

I don't use a keyboard case (would I not just get a laptop if I wanted a keyboard?) but I had to get a snap on case to make the iPad useful with the pencil.

• Reply 36 of 71
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    hentaiboy said:
    My prediction for March, 2019:

New iPad
    10.5” Retina display
    TrueDepth with FaceID
    A12 Bionic
    Pencil 2 support
    Price = $499

You saw it here first. 
    You mean April 1, 2019 since that's a joke and will never happen.   Apple has been consistently raising prices on new models of everything across the board - what makes you think they're going to have a 10.5" display for $499?   And if my numbers are right, Apple actually raised the price of some of the 10.5" iPad Pro configurations some time back. The 256GB went fro $749 to $799 (without cellular) and the 512GB went from $949 to $999.    The cellular models also had $50 price increases.   Now could the base configuration of the current 10.5" which was released in June of 2017 and is $649 go to $499 around June of 2019?  Sure.   But not a new model.

The new 12.9" tops out at $1899 without pencil or case.   The MacMini can top out at $4299.   The new Air can top out at $2599.   The MacBook Pro released in July tops out at $6699.    Apple has gone crazy and as I've posted many times before, I believe it's because the high salaries paid to Apple execs and managers has warped their perception of what real people can afford.   Their increments for storage are absurd: to go from 512GB to 2TB is another $1200 and to go from 512GB to 4TB is another $3200.   
  • Reply 37 of 71
    entropys said:

Shane_H said:
    "This means users can connect an external 5K display, extra storage or even charge their iPhone with a USB-C to Lightning cable." Define extra storage? I cannot find anything about that on Apples Site. Looks like it can see the same external devices as before, Like cameras, keyboards and such. USB-C Hard drives and Flash drives are not mentioned.
    Someone apparently snuck a USB-C flashdrive in and yeah, apparently the only file types currently recognized are photos and videos, exactly like the camera connection kit.

C'mon, Apple, if you want me to take this seriously as a computer let me copy a Pages file onto a USB stick and have the files app be able to take it off.

You share a Pages document to the flash drive’s app instead of Files app. What is the difference?
    That is a cludgy work around. It should be system wide.  iPad has far too many work around that are holding it back. Also, corporate world doesn’t like adding apps for that kind of functionality, and it relies on the capabilities, trustworthiness and desire of the USB stick vendor. If full file management is built in corporate IT would be more comfortable. For Apple, it should always be “it just works”.
    Then this the Share sheet. “it just works”. 

The Files app “just works” too and Apple opened it also to third party storage vendors. Check the AppStore.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 71
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    melgross said:
    Can’t wait until ours get here. Only really annoying thing right now is that unlike past models, there aren’t any cases for this model yet. Apple has a sleeve, and covers, as well as they keyboard cover, but nothing that slips on the back to protect it when you put it down. Checked Amazon, and nothing there either. This has never happened before. I guess the knowledge of what the form would be was too late this year. I was hoping to have a case by the time it arrives on the 7th. Oh well, i’ll Just have to keep checking every day.
    The new folio protects both front and back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 71
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    seankill said:
    Blunt said:
    seankill said:

That aside, nice device

The camera IS a component, or part, of the iPad; however, the iPad is not a component of the camera. One could then argue the iPad is both blue and red in your case. It is misleading to say the Ipad is X" thick, however, its thickest point is X+Y" thick. Y being the additional thickness of the camera. I have last years iPad Pro 10.5. The biggest issue with it is that without a case, it doesn't sit flat. You could argue the iPad just needs a case, thus it is not X thick but X+Z thick. Z being the thickness of the case. 

I don't use a keyboard case (would I not just get a laptop if I wanted a keyboard?) but I had to get a snap on case to make the iPad useful with the pencil.

I say it would be misleading if Apple stated otherwise, that iPad is X+Y thick. See, they didn't claim that 'at the thickest, iPad is X mm" because that would be a lie, but rather "iPad is the thinnest at X mm", and that's true. All in all, this is all just a semantic for argument sake. Check the image below, see that the component of camera used up the whole depth directly to the screen. There is no room available to make that bump smaller.

edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Wow! I'm blown away with the new iPad Pro's. My first thought was I love the 'squared' edges.

Reminds me of the the iPhone 5 design aesthetic. 

Rather than quibble if one can go only iOS as their only platform...

...How about this, get two iPad Pro's. One for travel and the larger one for home use on the couch. Get the Xs iPhone, AirPods (no more fussing w/ dongles and wired headphones), ATV, MacBookAir or Pro, and an 27" iMac (when the new ones come out, of course)?

Now you don't have to quibble anymore and you have the best of both worlds, so to speak. :)

I think you'll find that you will enjoy the large 27" iMac experience, and the Xs experience and hardly use the notebook or iPads! :) Or at least some variation of that. :)

Best 
    watto_cobra