Review: The iPhone XR isn't a $1,000 flagship, but isn't any less of a premium experience

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    petripetri Posts: 119member
    petri said:
    macgui said:
    Not as big as the iPhone XS Max, bigger than the iPhone XS

Why, why, WHY?? Though I have a perfectly serviceable SE, I've been trying to convince myself to accept that Apple has given up on small phones and move up. I like the edge to edge screen.

The XR ticks enough boxs that for the $750 price of admission, I thought WTF not. And they went and made it bigger than the pricier Xs. So I'll stick with the SE. They upgraded the Mac Mini, so maybe in 4yrs there'll be an SE2. Maybe.

Completely this.  I just don’t know who the XR is for, frankly - if you need a phone and screen that big and are prepared for all the compromises that go with carrying that, then it’s probably your main mobile device and important enough for you to get the max, or at least the XS which gives you the same sort of real estate in a neater package.

Meanwhile, if you’re on a budget, you’re going to get way better value out of a 7 or 8 and don’t have to put up with having the “poor man’s X” which the XR so clearly and painfully is.

Lastly, if you’re coming from an SE or are one of many who actually want your phone to be small and ergonomic, you’re screwed.  There’s nothing.  The XR is the polar opposite of what that abandoned segment are looking for.
    X series is high-end including the XR, 8 series is the mid-range and 7 series is the low end.
    8 is last year’s cheaper model.  It’s not “mid range” now, it’s old hat.  My wife just got one on an ultra cheap contract in fact - it’s a budget phone.

The XR is mid range.  Pretending it’s on the same level as the XS isn’t fooling anyone.  It looks like a cheap Chinese copy of the XS, which is actually exactly what it is, albeit an Apple designed one.  It’s a thoroughly mid range phone but in a weird size bracket that’s just odd IMO.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 22 of 37
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

Why, why, WHY?? Though I have a perfectly serviceable SE, I've been trying to convince myself to accept that Apple has given up on small phones and move up. I like the edge to edge screen.

The XR ticks enough boxs that for the $750 price of admission, I thought WTF not. And they went and made it bigger than the pricier Xs. So I'll stick with the SE. They upgraded the Mac Mini, so maybe in 4yrs there'll be an SE2. Maybe.

Completely this.  I just don’t know who the XR is for, frankly - if you need a phone and screen that big and are prepared for all the compromises that go with carrying that, then it’s probably your main mobile device and important enough for you to get the max, or at least the XS which gives you the same sort of real estate in a neater package.

Meanwhile, if you’re on a budget, you’re going to get way better value out of a 7 or 8 and don’t have to put up with having the “poor man’s X” which the XR so clearly and painfully is.

Lastly, if you’re coming from an SE or are one of many who actually want your phone to be small and ergonomic, you’re screwed.  There’s nothing.  The XR is the polar opposite of what that abandoned segment are looking for.
    X series is high-end including the XR, 8 series is the mid-range and 7 series is the low end.
    8 is last year’s cheaper model.  It’s not “mid range” now, it’s old hat.  My wife just got one on an ultra cheap contract in fact - it’s a budget phone.

The XR is mid range.  Pretending it’s on the same level as the XS isn’t fooling anyone.  It looks like a cheap Chinese copy of the XS, which is actually exactly what it is, albeit an Apple designed one.  It’s a thoroughly mid range phone but in a weird size bracket that’s just odd IMO.
    Apple qualifies low, mid and high ranges by the processor, as it keeps three processors in its iPhone inventory representing those ranges. All three X have the A12 Bionic and Face ID, these put them at the same level. The XR has less RAM thus more battery life, doesn’t have OLED thus more battery life, it has comparable display except HDR and it has identical single lens without the telephoto. The lack of HDR and the telephoto doesn’t make it mid-range, nor its size or thickness. I agree totally with the article: XR is a premium phone.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 23 of 37
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

Apple qualifies low, mid and high ranges by the processor, as it keeps three processors in its iPhone inventory representing those ranges. All three X have the A12 Bionic and Face ID, these put them at the same level. The XR has less RAM thus more battery life, doesn’t have OLED thus more battery life, it has comparable display except HDR and it has identical single lens without the telephoto. The lack of HDR and the telephoto doesn’t make it mid-range, nor its size or thickness. I agree totally with the article: XR is a premium phone.
    Apple can try and qualify what they like but nobody outside of Apple (and perhaps AppleInsider) sees the 8 as mid range, or the XR as premium.  The 8 is an old phone now being heavily discounted, and the XR basically screams cheap.  Nobody with eyes can mistake it for anything other than a cheaper X for those who can’t afford the real thing, rightly or wrongly that’s what it’s been designed to be from the outset.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

Except it sports the A12 processor, FaceID that can’t be tricked by a picture (I’m looking at you Samsung), support for the Apple ecosystem and App Store, Apple privacy, security and future compatibility (again, looking at Samsung and other Android vendors whose phones typically can’t be updated to a major new OS four or more years in a row).  This is no cheap Chinese copy; it’s a true iPhone.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 37
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

Apple can try and qualify what they like but nobody outside of Apple (and perhaps AppleInsider) sees the 8 as mid range, or the XR as premium.  The 8 is an old phone now being heavily discounted, and the XR basically screams cheap.  Nobody with eyes can mistake it for anything other than a cheaper X for those who can’t afford the real thing, rightly or wrongly that’s what it’s been designed to be from the outset.
    The 8 may be seen as old and notmid-range, but that doesn’t apply to the 8+.  The 8+ still has a few high points versus the Xr.  

It’s the most advanced, and perhaps last, iPhone with TouchID, for those who aren’t quite ready to take the leap to FaceID.

It, along with the 7+/6S+/6+, has a very nice 401ppi Retina display, versus the Xr using 326ppi like the smaller 8/7/6s/6/5S/5C/5/4S/4 models.  It’s a full 1080p display.

It has the second, telephoto, lens, lacking in the Xr.   
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

The 8 may be seen as old and notmid-range, but that doesn’t apply to the 8+.  The 8+ still has a few high points versus the Xr.  

It’s the most advanced, and perhaps last, iPhone with TouchID, for those who aren’t quite ready to take the leap to FaceID.

It, along with the 7+/6S+/6+, has a very nice 401ppi Retina display, versus the Xr using 326ppi like the smaller 8/7/6s/6/5S/5C/5/4S/4 models.  It’s a full 1080p display.

It has the second, telephoto, lens, lacking in the Xr.   
    But like the XR it’s huge and completely unsuitable for anyone who doesn’t want to carry a huge phone.  As one of those people I’ve never seen the plus models as premium or in any way superior to the standard sizes, they’re simply phablets for other people, and of no interest to me whatsoever.

Plus still, it’s a year old.  Last year’s model is never a turn-on.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 27 of 37
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

Except it sports the A12 processor, FaceID that can’t be tricked by a picture (I’m looking at you Samsung), support for the Apple ecosystem and App Store, Apple privacy, security and future compatibility (again, looking at Samsung and other Android vendors whose phones typically can’t be updated to a major new OS four or more years in a row).  This is no cheap Chinese copy; it’s a true iPhone.  
    Yeah sure it’s great, so was the 8, so was the 7, so was the 6S for that matter.  Doesn’t make it a flagship iPhone for most people in 2018.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    A BA B Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    First of all nice post, I did not use a stopwatch to measure the time Face ID takes to unlock or anything. These are purely my observations from using Face ID for the last week or so on both the iPhone X and the iPhone XS. So, I did a bunch of things to ensure both phones had a fair chance. For starters, I set up Face ID anew on both the iPhone X and iPhone XS, and turned “Require Attention” to off, so my eyes not looking at the phone wouldn’t cause it to not unlock. Then I tested things with “Alternate Appearance” set up on both iPhones, just to see if that would help one or the other iPhone.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    designr said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

...the XR basically screams cheap.  Nobody with eyes can mistake it for anything other than a cheaper X for those who can’t afford the real thing...

Seems a bit harsh. And probably wrong.

Have you considered the possibility that some, even many, people are choosing the Xr simply because they simply don't value the things the additional money for the Xs or Xs Max offers?

The "screams cheap" comment is purely in the realm of opinion. I don't share that same view and I suspect many others do not either. But then that's all just opinion.
    People may have all manner of sensible reasons for choosing the XR (if indeed they are choosing it) but there’s no mistaking the intention behind the product or its design.  It’s a cheaper XS.  The unmistakably larger bezels and lower res screen are the way they are exactly because it’s an XS that’s been made down to a price, and (literally) had corners cut deliberately in order to be cheaper and inferior to an XS.  That’s what it is.  Pointless to pretend otherwise.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 30 of 37
    I am a XS MAX gold user and I strongly disagree that iPhone XR is an entry-level model in iPhone. iPhone 7 and 8 are definitely older models so only XR, XS, and MAX can be called as new or latest iPhone models. It is very controversial in South Korea that XR is an entry-level model with high performance, yet a cheaper price for certain group of people meaning a cheaper model for those who are not able to pay XS or MAX. Well, the cheapest model of XR and the most expansive model of MAX has $1000 difference. You surely can do a lot of things with $1000, however it is not that hard to purchase a XS or MAX model if you are able to buy a XR model. You only have to save up a few more hundreds for buying XS or MAX which they are often called as "Premium or Flagship". However, I do agree that iPhone X users do not need to upgrade to XR although XR shows a better performance than X. 
  • Reply 31 of 37
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

...the XR basically screams cheap.  Nobody with eyes can mistake it for anything other than a cheaper X for those who can’t afford the real thing...

Have you considered the possibility that some, even many, people are choosing the Xr simply because they simply don't value the things the additional money for the Xs or Xs Max offers?

The "screams cheap" comment is purely in the realm of opinion. I don't share that same view and I suspect many others do not either. But then that's all just opinion.
    People may have all manner of sensible reasons for choosing the XR (if indeed they are choosing it) but there’s no mistaking the intention behind the product or its design.  It’s a cheaper XS.  The unmistakably larger bezels and lower res screen are the way they are exactly because it’s an XS that’s been made down to a price, and (literally) had corners cut deliberately in order to be cheaper and inferior to an XS.  That’s what it is.  Pointless to pretend otherwise.
    Is anyone really pretending it's not a less expensive version of the Xs with the corresponding compromises?
    You yourself berated me for saying the XR was a cheaper XS for those couldn’t afford the real thing.  So.. yes?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

Not cheaper XS, but cheaper XS Max. Its display is larger than the XS equal to XS Max', 414 x 896 vs 375 x 812. XR is better suited to landscape use than the XS. Apple has done a great job by providing a cheaper XS Max.

Meanwhile I understand your anger, many people are like you these days... But many readers including I have warned in these forums that the incoming XR would be a great phone. We can do nothing but emphatize with those who thought differently.
    edited November 2018 muthuk_vanalingampetri
  • Reply 33 of 37
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

Is anyone really pretending it's not a less expensive version of the Xs with the corresponding compromises?
    You yourself berated me for saying the XR was a cheaper XS for those couldn’t afford the real thing.  So.. yes?
    First, I didn't "berate" you. I simply said I thought your characterization of the situation (both in terms of the "screams cheap" and the "people who can't afford it" comments) seemed a bit harsh. That's not berating.

Second, I was addressing the subjective "screams cheap" comment rather than denying that it is in fact a less expensive phone. That's not pretending that the Xr is not a less expensive option to the Xs.

Screams cheap is a perfectly accurate description of how the phone looks especially in (obvious) comparison to the XS, since the clear differences in the screen and bezel are the direct result of cutting costs.  You can literally see it’s the cheaper phone, in one glance - a cheapened XS.

As for it being somehow problematic to say it’s for people who can’t afford the XS - tell me, if you genuinely can afford the XS, and I don’t mean if you choose to scratch together the money at any cost but in the sense that you can comfortably cover the cost without sacrificing anything else, in other words money is no object - why would you choose the XR instead?  What’s better about the XR, other than it being cheaper and more affordable?
  • Reply 34 of 37

petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

Not cheaper XS, but cheaper XS Max. Its display is larger than the XS equal to XS Max', 414 x 896 vs 375 x 812. XR is better suited to landscape use than the XS. Apple has done a great job by providing a cheaper XS Max.

Meanwhile I understand your anger, many people are like you these days... But many readers including I have warned in these forums that the incoming XR would be a great phone. We can do nothing but emphatize with those who thought differently.
    I’m just replying to say I’ve given your post a like, your last paragraph is priceless! 😂
  • Reply 35 of 37
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

First, I didn't "berate" you. I simply said I thought your characterization of the situation (both in terms of the "screams cheap" and the "people who can't afford it" comments) seemed a bit harsh. That's not berating.

Second, I was addressing the subjective "screams cheap" comment rather than denying that it is in fact a less expensive phone. That's not pretending that the Xr is not a less expensive option to the Xs.

Screams cheap is a perfectly accurate description of how the phone looks especially in (obvious) comparison to the XS, since the clear differences in the screen and bezel are the direct result of cutting costs.  You can literally see it’s the cheaper phone, in one glance - a cheapened XS.

It's fine if you want to double-down on your opinion (which may or may not be shared by many others). But to be clear I was not denying the Xr was a less expensive option even if I disagree with your "screams cheap" opinion.

petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

As for it being somehow problematic to say it’s for people who can’t afford the XS - tell me, if you genuinely can afford the XS, and I don’t mean if you choose to scratch together the money at any cost but in the sense that you can comfortably cover the cost without sacrificing anything else, in other words money is no object - why would you choose the XR instead?  What’s better about the XR, other than it being cheaper and more affordable?
    As I said previously, maybe people simple don't see the additional value for the additional cost. People value things differently. At some point someone says "hey this amount of phone is good enough for me and the additional cost (even if I can afford it) for that other one doesn't really bring me anything I need or desire." Do you understand that some people may think this way based on their own perfectly valid (for them) rank of values?
    Would you agree that the XR looks like a cheaper XS?  Because that’s all that “screams cheap” amounts to.  You seem to be fixating on this being a matter of opinion when actually... the XR does look like a cheaper XS, because that’s what it is.

I note that no, you can’t name a reason why someone would choose the XR over the XS, other than the lower cost.  You’re attempting to argue that some people would choose not to spend the extra but you’re arguing over semantics, if you can genuinely afford the XS then you’re going to buy the XS, if you’re thinking “well I’ll choose the XR because I don’t want to spend that much money” then that’s just another way of saying the XS is too expensive for you, ie, you can’t afford it.  I can’t afford an XS, that doesn’t mean I couldn’t buy one if I sold a few other things and tightened my belt etc, but I choose not to do that.  I won’t be buying the wannabe XR either.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 36 of 37
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

It's fine if you want to double-down on your opinion (which may or may not be shared by many others). But to be clear I was not denying the Xr was a less expensive option even if I disagree with your "screams cheap" opinion.

petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    designr said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    petri said:
    macgui said:

As I said previously, maybe people simple don't see the additional value for the additional cost. People value things differently. At some point someone says "hey this amount of phone is good enough for me and the additional cost (even if I can afford it) for that other one doesn't really bring me anything I need or desire." Do you understand that some people may think this way based on their own perfectly valid (for them) rank of values?
    Would you agree that the XR looks like a cheaper XS?  Because that’s all that “screams cheap” amounts to.  You seem to be fixating on this being a matter of opinion when actually... the XR does look like a cheaper XS, because that’s what it is.

I note that no, you can’t name a reason why someone would choose the XR over the XS, other than the lower cost.  You’re attempting to argue that some people would choose not to spend the extra but you’re arguing over semantics, if you can genuinely afford the XS then you’re going to buy the XS, if you’re thinking “well I’ll choose the XR because I don’t want to spend that much money” then that’s just another way of saying the XS is too expensive for you, ie, you can’t afford it.  I can’t afford an XS, that doesn’t mean I couldn’t buy one if I sold a few other things and tightened my belt etc, but I choose not to do that.  I won’t be buying the wannabe XR either.
    You want to win this. I get it.

You seem unwilling to accept that:

a) you are stating an opinion about the looks of the Xr vs. Xs...your statement (about the looks) is not an objective, factual one...it is subjective (i.e., based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions), you aren't simply saying it looks different (e.g., because of the slightly larger bezel...fact) but instead your feeling and opinion about that difference.

And, furthermore:

b) that others would chose to spend their money differently than you think they should. You seem to be confused about the meaning of the words "can't" (incapable) and "won't" (unwilling). Someone may be perfectly capable of spending the money but unwilling to do so. These are different things. Your characterization that the unwillingness is just another way of saying "you can’t afford it" is simply a blatant disregard for the actual meanings of these words.

Do you want me to just capitulate and tell you you're right? Will that make you feel better?
    I’m sorry, is this your first discussion?  You seem uncertain how to proceed.  You know, if you don’t have anything worthwhile to add to what you’ve said already, it’s ok to just not reply and finish it there.

Since you have replied, let me point out again that the fact the larger bezels and lower res screen on the XR look cheap compared to the XS isnt a matter of opinion, it’s a simple matter of fact that the bezels are there because of the cheaper screen, as is the lower resolution, lower contrast etc - these visible differences are a direct result of the cheaper pricepoint.  They are literally the reason the phone is cheaper, which makes it very difficult for them to not look cheap by definition.

As for your other point, you’ve already conceded that the only reason to buy the XR over the XS is to save money.  It has no other advantage whatsoever.  Whatever might attract you to the XR, the XS does better, whether we’re talking functionality or style.  So put simply, if you like the XR, you’re going to love the XS.  So why wouldn’t you buy the XS?  Because you can’t afford it.  Saying that you prefer not to spend so much money on something you really like and want, is just another way of saying you can’t afford it.  Most of us are “capable” of buying an XS but that’s not the same thing at all. 
    edited November 2018