YouTuber unsurprisingly discovers that if you try to bend an iPad Pro, it will actually br...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,922administrator
    saltyzip said:
    Jerry Rig has been testing all devices for year's, as per usual this site tries to brainwash apple readers for protectionism purposes. Anybody with a brain can see how fragile the iPad pro is, and we have to question should it be at its price point. Only time will tell if it turns into a bendgate issue, but I doubt at the price it is selling there will be enough buyers to turn this into a major issue.
    Calling this testing is charitable. There are no force meters, those scratch picks have requirements for use, including applied force, angles of incidence, and how many approaches. 

The "tests" are a joke.
    He’s using the Mohs scale of mineral hardness, 10 being diamond, sapphire is 9. And that “sapphire” crystal lens cover clearly isn’t sapphire as tested by Jerry Rig. This is crazier than the bending.
    I'm fully aware of what Mohs is, and how to do the testing. It requires a force gage, which he clearly isn't using. It requires angles of incidence within a fairly narrow range, which he also isn't doing. It also requires a fresh set of picks per test, which isn't happening either.

Is the lens pure sapphire? Probably not, for other material and tensile strength reasons. Is this test indicative of that or exclude the possibility of sapphire being in the lens? Nope.

Here's the deal. We're not saying that the iPad doesn't bend. Of course it does. It's less than 6mm thick, and covered in thin glass on one side. We're just really puzzled why this is being called "scientific" testing and definitive with a horde of meatballs calling it "bendgate 2.0" when the "testing" doesn't bear that out in any way. All he proved is that it is possible that the iPad will bend. 

No shit, Sherlock.
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 57
    saltyzip said:
    Jerry Rig has been testing all devices for year's, as per usual this site tries to brainwash apple readers for protectionism purposes. Anybody with a brain can see how fragile the iPad pro is, and we have to question should it be at its price point. Only time will tell if it turns into a bendgate issue, but I doubt at the price it is selling there will be enough buyers to turn this into a major issue.
    Calling this testing is charitable. There are no force meters, those scratch picks have requirements for use, including applied force, angles of incidence, and how many approaches. 

The "tests" are a joke.
    He’s using the Mohs scale of mineral hardness, 10 being diamond, sapphire is 9. And that “sapphire” crystal lens cover clearly isn’t sapphire as tested by Jerry Rig. This is crazier than the bending.
    I'm fully aware of what Mohs is, and how to do the testing. It requires a force gage, which he clearly isn't using. It requires angles of incidence within a fairly narrow range, which he also isn't doing. It also requires a fresh set of picks per test, which isn't happening either.

Is the lens pure sapphire? Probably not, for other material and tensile strength reasons. Is this test indicative of that or exclude the possibility of sapphire being in the lens? Nope.

Here's the deal. We're not saying that the iPad doesn't bend. Of course it does. It's less than 6mm thick, and covered in thin glass on one side. We're just really puzzled why this is being called "scientific" testing and definitive with a horde of meatballs calling it "bendgate 2.0" when the "testing" doesn't bear that out in any way. All he proved is that it is possible that the iPad will bend. 

No shit, Sherlock.
    Yea I just read this and it explains it..

https://m.imore.com/yes-iphone-7-lenses-really-are-made-out-sapphire

• Reply 43 of 57
    Utterly pointless. I would not put it past these people and those that do the iPhone drop tests that they go back to their insurance companies and make a claim at the expensive of everyone. I might be wrong but the utter waste in YouTube to these worthless, of little value stunts makes me wonder, who is actually paying for their stupidity really?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    laytech said:
    Utterly pointless. I would not put it past these people and those that do the iPhone drop tests that they go back to their insurance companies and make a claim at the expensive of everyone. I might be wrong but the utter waste in YouTube to these worthless, of little value stunts makes me wonder, who is actually paying for their stupidity really?
    No need to make an insurance claim. YouTubers like this guy make money every time one of their videos is viewed. The cost of an iPad is just a business expense that can be written off on their schedule C. Like politicians they know who their audience is and cater to it. It’s just business for them.

Meanwhile the premier Apple hating tech blog of the Internet, AKA MacRumors, is taking this video very seriously. Over one hundred comments have declared this to indeed be Bendgate 2.0 and will doom Apple to oblivion, according to the comment section of course.
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 57
    In the meantime - I ordered mine the first day I could and I still have no idea when I’m going to get it.  Yet this moron is destroying his.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 57
    How many ad impressions do you need on YouTube to pay for an iPad Pro?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 57
    viclauyyc said:
    What’s wrong with this guy!

High school kids in China spend nights to make these iPad.

Not sure if sarcastic or another moron influenced by media.
    Gee, I am a Apple fanboy.  
    But it was confirm by Apple which AI reported it not so long ago.  Just not sure which Apple product was being made, mostly it was IPhone. 
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Enjoyed the sarcasm in this article as much as the sarcastic review of the iPad Pro from the Youtube guy. 
    Let alone all the hate, it seems the iPad did bend and break rather easily!  
    tmay
  • Reply 49 of 57
    In a world where “large number of views = compensation” this is the result.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 57
    While most of these tests are useless, there are 2 points that were interesting. First is the camera lens, which Apple claim is made of sapphire crystal, while the test shows it scratches like glass. The second is how easily it bent, which is bad news if someone accidentally sits on it or it’s in a backpack. There are people on the forums who have experienced bending due to the latter, so that’s not comforting.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    That poor ipad😭
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 57
    I'll probably get plenty of flack for even suggesting this, but I have to say that having watched the video and from just the visual assessment of this guy bending the iPad, Apple did a piss poor job of engineering this product for durability. I was curious, so I did a pressure test on my iPad Air for comparison, and its rigidity didn't even feel remotely compromised with what I would surmise was much more pressure than this iPad pro. Yes, it's a larger device, but that really should mean they make the product slightly thicker to account for the Achilles heel (those two holes) in the chassis' structural integrity. As I have read on many other websites, people (such as myself) who used to be devoted fans of Apple's impressive design and durability are becoming disenchanted with the corners that Apple is cutting in order to maximize profits while removing any post-purchase upgradability for the consumer. Before you all come down on my like a flock of hell beasts, let me just mention that I have owned multiple Apple devices over the years, but ever since I waited for the new MacBook Pro that turned out to be thoroughly underwhelming in specs and sporting zero upgradability in hard drive or ram while charging waaaay too much money, I have sworn off buying another Apple product UNTIL they begin making consumer friendly products again (if ever). I hope eventually Apple will realize that people care more about the integrity of their devices rather than trying to sell a 'professional' device by stacking as few sheets of paper next to the product as is physically possible. Function always wins over fashion for me. 
    edited November 2018 apsorz
  • Reply 53 of 57
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I’d better stop putting my iPad in my back pocket in case I sit on it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 57
    How many ad impressions do you need on YouTube to pay for an iPad Pro?
    You can base the approximation on 3$ per 1000 views (some average factoring in Costs per click (CPC), costs per view (CPV) and other factors). Then YT takes a cut depending again on several factors. We can assume 45%. So if your iPad costs you 1.000 bucks according to the logic above it would take around 750.000 views. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 57
    LDLD Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Lol. The video was a joke my god..

This article is depressingly critical of a video goofing on a product. Even marques brownlee a youtuber who is generally a apple fan boy made a joke about it. Apple fanboys need to not ride the train and question some design choices. Just like everyone has been doing with samsung and the folding screen. Ask questions of creators and developers.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Masses are so easy to manipulate, and that’s why representative democracy works better.

I definitely like to see 7000 series aluminum on a thin device, although that doesn’t mean the current iPad Pro are massive babies.  Maybe the better question to ask is “what can I do to avoid bending it accidentally”, then decide whether it’s weak enough or not.

I used to think that the current generation MacBook Pros failed much worse than Retina did, because all the criticisms.  Until I asked Mike and learned that failure rates is actually bit better, and that result includes the keyboard.  Makes me wonder how many things people believed to be a common knowledge is simply biased.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 57 of 57
    I’ve been checking r/Apple and rest of the communities for a while, one common thing they all share is almost everyone inside felt they’re insecure.  Apple is a competitor to every major tech companies, so that means every other fanboys can stick together attacking Apple and their communities.  On the other hand, they’re well known for ignoring its loyal customers wish, while for the most time they’re right, but nothing is perfect, and that can ticks off really bad.  Yet people expected perfection in every area of their works, even a simple mistake can cause widespread panic.

Think about it, once you said you like Apple products, immediately you became a brainless fanboy, then you want to expect perfection so that can prove you’re not wrong, but in reality nothing is perfect, they did a lot questionable things, and definitely will keep doing it.  Finally, someone that’s  naturally disgusted with large companies uploaded a misleading video which (s)he claimed to be fair and justice, then everyone exploded.  Now you know why these days, Apple communities sucks so bad.
    edited November 2018