iPhone XR is topping XS & XS Max in sales, says Apple's Greg Joswiak

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    macxpress said:
    This must mean that the XS and XS Max aren't selling....
    You forgot the /s (slash s)....
    magman1979netmagepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Shorts are getting nervouse and keep hammeing in their speculations and conjectures....

give it a break.....

2 more months.. and we will know how Apple did and what their revenue  distribution was..

The rest is FUD. 
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 45
    avon b7 said:
    Curious, though ... I bought an XS Max and Verizon gave me an XR for free.
    I received both on XR launch day.
    I thought it was strange to be getting a launch day iPhone for free but who was I to argue?
    That was an amazing deal. No signs of anything along those lines from carriers where I am.
    That is an amazing deal.  Wish Canadian carriers did the same thing.
    They do. I trade in phones every day (I work for Rogers) to reduce upfront costs. Hell, when I bought my iPhone XS Max, I traded in my iPhone 7 Plus for $380. Only paid $179 for the XS Max. Every carrier does it. In Manitoba anyway. I saw an iPhone 8 Plus get traded in for $440 the other day, and some guy traded in an iPhone X and got $700 towards a new XS. So, the possibility is there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 45

asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    Doesn't say much.  It can simultaneously be the best-selling iPhone model and not sell according to management's expectation
    However, it does contradict the analysts. 
    Doesn't contradict anything.  Having the XR be the single best-selling iPhone model since it launched and having XR productions cuts due to not selling according to management's initial expectations can simultaneously be true.
    The analysts don’t know management’s internal projections. Nor do you. 

Whether analysts or I know or not is irrelevant.  Saying that the XR is the single-best selling iPhone model every day since launch by itself doesn't indicate how well it's selling.  It's a PR defensive move
    Actually, your saying it’s irrelevant is irrelevant, since it’s a single person’s opinion. And saying it’s selling better than the two top end iPhones is more than indicative, it’s a statement of fact.

Unless it’s an outright lie. Which, come to think of it, means you missed an opportunity to do even more Apple-bashing, because Apple will never be able to prove it’s the truth now that they’ve stopped publishing sales numbers.

Is it PR? Maybe. There certainly has been enough whining about Apple doing something, anything, to combat the FUD Factory that’s responsible for this stupid selloff. But as PR goes, it’s pretty lightweight.

Me, I’m fine with dumb old Mr. Market dramatically dropping the price Apple has to pay for it’s buybacks. The less shares, the higher my percentage ownership of Apple.

I’m laughing all the way to the bank. Thanks for all the fish, Apple shorts!

edited November 2018 yojimbo007magman1979RonnnieOslprescottpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    usmccop said:
    asdasd said:
    Doesn't say much.  It can simultaneously be the best-selling iPhone model and not sell according to management's expectation
    Doesn't contradict anything.  Having the XR be the single best-selling iPhone model since it launched and having XR productions cuts due to not selling according to management's initial expectations can simultaneously be true.

What production cuts? None of us know if there were production cuts. This stock manipulation happens every year. Maybe there were cuts or maybe not. I’d go with the latter. 
    But suppliers do know.  And this year there's enough info coming out regarding supplier production cuts for there to be truth behind it.  Also, if you read the original CNet article, Joswiak was asked about analysts' comments with respect to production cuts and he didn't answer it.  He deflected to the same vague PR line.  Doesn't sound like confidence to me
    Suppliers only know what they supply. Apple has multiple suppliers for its components.  Apple's supply chain is so complex, that outsiders can't analyze it accurately. 
    magman1979racerhomie3netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 45
    physguy said:
    usmccop said:
    asdasd said:

What production cuts? None of us know if there were production cuts. This stock manipulation happens every year. Maybe there were cuts or maybe not. I’d go with the latter. 
    But suppliers do know.  And this year there's enough info coming out regarding supplier production cuts for there to be truth behind it.  Also, if you read the original CNet article, Joswiak was asked about analysts' comments with respect to production cuts and he didn't answer it.  He deflected to the same vague PR line.  Doesn't sound like confidence to me
    Several things here.  1) if there is no material deviation from Apple's 1Q guidance given last month there is no reason for Joswiak to say anything more than he did, from an SEC perspective.  Apple's history under Cook has been to ignore the short term stock market fluxations, and, as has been pointed out the stock dive only benefits Apple's repurchase process. 2) if the XR is the best selling iPhone AND its production is being cut significantly from expectations, as is being reported, then there WOULD be a material deviation from guidance since the guidance IS based on management expectations.  3) if there is a MATERIAL deviation from the guidance Apple provided it would be hugely in Apple's best interest to provide revised guidance at this point and could be argued strongly that they must provide it, under SEC regulations.

Under Cook, and for the most part under Jobs, Apple has been very up front with public information and not played games (think Musk and Tesla). 

• Reply 27 of 45
    Wow. So many people love to spin good a news into all sorts of doom predictions. Only with Apple we see this kind of ‘commitment’ years after years.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Personally - I believe these “Production Cuts” have more to do with the amount 
    of different iPhones available this year and Apple trying to keep each color, memory model
    in-stock in each Market / Country.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    I agree with physguy.  Come on folks. Apple is not going to let one of its execs make such a statement if it was misleading. They are quite meticulous about staying within SEC regs.  Cook himself has warned, over and over again, that people should not look at suppliers comments to draw conclusions.  The fact that the spokesman did not comment about suppliers forecasts is because Apple does not do that, except to warn everyone that this is an incorrect way to evaluate the companies performance.  At the same time, i am glad that the company issued the statement since the pundits have been out there preaching glooms and doom (especially with the XR) without any real credible evidence except the same sources that got it wrong every year.  My prdiction: it will be a blowout quarter, and all three phones will sell really well.  Anyone who uses Apple products and has experienced the phenonal performance of the X and XS Max (as Inhave) would be insane to not acknowledge how superior they are.  Hit the buy button and enjoy!  And by the way, this “analyst” game will never go away and next year, we’ll be back again watching the pundits and short sellers do their best to drive the stock down again.

Now, if only Apple would finally offer a REAL subscription serves that wraps together a bundle called Apple Media, which include a single monthly subscription charge for Apple Music, ITunes movies and TV, and Apple books, it would leveraging its huge cash stockpile to attract the billions of users in its ecosystem.
    jbishop1039watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 45
    ABiteaDay said:
    I agree with physguy.  Come on folks. Apple is not going to let one of its execs make such a statement if it was misleading. They are quite meticulous about staying within SEC regs.  Cook himself has warned, over and over again, that people should not look at suppliers comments to draw conclusions.  The fact that the spokesman did not comment about suppliers forecasts is because Apple does not do that, except to warn everyone that this is an incorrect way to evaluate the companies performance.  At the same time, i am glad that the company issued the statement since the pundits have been out there preaching glooms and doom (especially with the XR) without any real credible evidence except the same sources that got it wrong every year.  My prdiction: it will be a blowout quarter, and all three phones will sell really well.  Anyone who uses Apple products and has experienced the phenonal performance of the X and XS Max (as Inhave) would be insane to not acknowledge how superior they are.  Hit the buy button and enjoy!  And by the way, this “analyst” game will never go away and next year, we’ll be back again watching the pundits and short sellers do their best to drive the stock down again.

Now, if only Apple would finally offer a REAL subscription serves that wraps together a bundle called Apple Media, which include a single monthly subscription charge for Apple Music, ITunes movies and TV, and Apple books, it would leveraging its huge cash stockpile to attract the billions of users in its ecosystem.
    Exactly 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 45
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    May be XS and XS Max selling well but XR selling more. So, all good for Apple.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 45
    So I assume this statement was meant to calm the nervous nellies but it doesn’t really reveal anything.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 33 of 45
    So I assume this statement was meant to calm the nervous nellies but it doesn’t really reveal anything.
    A genuine Apple investor wouldn’t be nervous over analyst FUD. There’s a reason why they are called “analysts”. Anal-lyst -  their lists of FUD come from their a.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Color me stupid - but weren’t the market tipping maggots saying just last week that the XR wasn’t selling?
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 45
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Joswiak comments may indicate some walkback by Apple to reporting iPhone sales. 
  • Reply 36 of 45
    larryjw said:
    Joswiak comments may indicate some walkback by Apple to reporting iPhone sales. 

No.
    netmagethtpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    Except that that would mean that sales of the other models are also “slow,” and that would trigger a legal obligation for the company to advise investors of the strong possibility of missing its guidance. As a reminder, Apple has forecast a record-setting guidance that is $10 billion higher that last year’s fiscal Q1.

So either Joz is wrong, or the reports we8ve seen are BS — as DED has already pointed out in a particularly well-researched article here on AI.
    netmagepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 45
    asdasd said:
    No, it doesn't - Joswiak specifically stated that the iPhone XR outsells the XS and XS Max -- if you read the statement properly, and in the right context, he is saying that ALL the X-Series phones are selling badly. His statement is classic deflection - and some are falling for it. Just like last year when Apple boasted the iPhone X showed an increase of 10% in *revenues* (not sales), when it should have actually sold up to 50% more units (which it didn't, as it sold closer to 20% LESS).
  • Reply 39 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    physguy said:
    usmccop said:
    asdasd said:

Several things here.  1) if there is no material deviation from Apple's 1Q guidance given last month there is no reason for Joswiak to say anything more than he did, from an SEC perspective.  Apple's history under Cook has been to ignore the short term stock market fluxations, and, as has been pointed out the stock dive only benefits Apple's repurchase process. 2) if the XR is the best selling iPhone AND its production is being cut significantly from expectations, as is being reported, then there WOULD be a material deviation from guidance since the guidance IS based on management expectations.  3) if there is a MATERIAL deviation from the guidance Apple provided it would be hugely in Apple's best interest to provide revised guidance at this point and could be argued strongly that they must provide it, under SEC regulations.

Under Cook, and for the most part under Jobs, Apple has been very up front with public information and not played games (think Musk and Tesla). 
    This is Apple's blowout quarter largely due to Christmas. I don't think they would provide any changes to guidance (if they think they will miss it by any significant margin) until after the Christmas sales boom.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    avon b7 said:
    physguy said:
    usmccop said:
    asdasd said:

This is Apple's blowout quarter largely due to Christmas. I don't think they would provide any changes to guidance (if they think they will miss it by any significant margin) until after the Christmas sales boom.

Another point being missed - "Shipped = Sold" for any OEM (not just Apple). So when Apple gave the guidance for the holiday quarter on Nov-01-2018, already 1 month in the holiday quarter had passed, with another 5-6 weeks of inventory to be shipped to distribution channels ready for shipping with orders having been confirmed. If sales really actually slowed down and Apple ended up with unsold inventory beyond normal limits, it would only reflect in the guidance for the subsequent quarter. So there is no way Apple would "miss" their guidance for the next quarter when they announce it. By design, Apple has setup their quarterly financials reporting process in the near perfect way. Kudos to them for that.

Having said all of that, I don't believe in any of these stories about reduction in orders, no sales etc. I have seen these reports every year and they were proven wrong, so there is no reason to believe them now. I will just wait for Apple to announce the results in late Jan/early Feb 2019 as and when it happens.