Microsoft and MasterCard working on universal online identification standard

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2018
Microsoft and MasterCard announced that they are teaming up to create a digital identity solution to help protect consumers across the shopping, investment and travel industries.

Microsoft and Mastercard logos
Microsoft and Mastercard logos

Near everyone has the issue of managing their digital identities, including multiple passwords, two-factor authentication, and other hurdles proving themselves who they purport to be. Microsoft and MasterCard's solution is one of many working on this problem.

The two companies haven't shared much in the way of details as of yet, but Microsoft and MasterCard both highlighted the benefits a digital identify solution would bring such as working instantaneously and securely. Their joint proposed solution allows individuals to more easily control their own identity data on whichever devices they use.

"Today's digital identity landscape is patchy, inconsistent and what works in one country often won't work in another. We have an opportunity to establish a system that puts people first, giving them control of their identity data and where it is used," says Ajay Bhalla, president, cyber and intelligence solutions, Mastercard. "Working with Microsoft brings us one step closer to making a globally interoperable digital identity service a reality, and we look forward to sharing more very soon."

Bringing access to a universally accepted digital identify -- which is easier said that done -- would unlock "new and enhanced experiences" Microsoft and Mastercard said in their joint statement. Banking processes would be sped up, shopping woul due a more personalized experience, filing taxes digitally would be streamlined, and digital serves would be easier to access.

The pair of companies teased additional details will be forthcoming in the near future.

Apple is also working on their own digital identify solution, hoping one day to replace IDs or passports with your iPhone according to recent patent filings. It isn't clear at present how the two systems would work, or for that matter, how the state and federal identity systems would connect to either program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    If its online it can be hacked & stolen -- and identity theft is a growth industry.

Why would I trust Microsoft with my ID?
    Actually, that's one of the big reasons why I stick to Apple products -- security and privacy.  They're not invulnerable, but they're better than the rest.   Far better.
    macseekerlkruppjbdragonravnorodommuthuk_vanalingamradarthekatwilliamlondontbornotbadmonkjony0
  • Reply 2 of 33
    TRUST Microsoft & Mastercard to manage my identity information?

This is a joke, right?

MacProradarthekatwilliamlondontbornot
  • Reply 3 of 33
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    If its online it can be hacked & stolen -- and identity theft is a growth industry.

Actually, that's one of the big reasons why I stick to Apple products -- security and privacy.  They're not invulnerable, but they're better than the rest.   Far better.
    There is a large list of enterprises and business that trust MS authentication platform (Azure AD / AD) for their users and customers ID's.  And now they are moving to password less on their services and products, as a method to improve security. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/passwordless

Like you said, if it's online, it can be hacked and stolen.  But MS have been prove very solid from a security POV, specially with their cloud services.  I think that's the reason MC team with MS for this project.  
    JWSCwilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Whether it's from Microsoft and MasterCard (talk about a lack of confidence in that pair...) or even Apple, I much prefer an independent organisation putting this sort of thing in place.

Solid, created by Sir Tim Berners-Lee: https://solid.inrupt.com/

• Reply 5 of 33
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Microsoft? Secure identity? I’m filled with the utmost confidence that my online identity will be protected. 
    /s
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 33
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    As much distrust that there is for MS, they have at least identified one thing that is problematic with today's two factor solutions. If you travel abroad you usually can't receive text messages from a US business/provider which makes logging into your bank near impossible while traveling in other countries.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Not terribly confident in this pair. You know, history.
    However I've been saying since the early '00s that passwords were an obsolete concept. People can't/won't generate or remember complex enough ones. They have trouble with one, so a different one for every login is out of the question. Passwords were fine when the Roman Centurions were guarding the castle gate. with modern computerized systems they are laughably inadequate. Don't know if this is the solution, but SOMETHING needs to be done.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    volcan said:
    As much distrust that there is for MS, they have at least identified one thing that is problematic with today's two factor solutions. If you travel abroad you usually can't receive text messages from a US business/provider which makes logging into your bank near impossible while traveling in other countries.
    I've received text messages overseas when I've used my cards confirming if I was making the purchase. 
  • Reply 9 of 33

Revelation 13:16-17 King James Version (KJV)

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

...just sayin’...

• Reply 10 of 33
    Ha! Nope.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Could be worse...could be Google and MasterCard. 
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 33
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    volcan said:
    I've received text messages overseas when I've used my cards confirming if I was making the purchase. 
    Perhaps it depends on your carrier or country you are visiting. I travel in the Caribbean and Latin America and it definitely doesn’t work with my bank and carrier.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 13 of 33
    macxpress said:
    Could be worse...could be Google and MasterCard. 
    That's not even it. Worst scenario: Facebook | MasterCard
  • Reply 14 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jguther said:

This is a joke, right?

Yes and don't update Windows whatever you do!  lol.

• Reply 15 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    jguther said:

This is a joke, right?

I work in healthcare and my company uses Office365. The online apps and portal are a bloody mess, but Microsoft meets the security requirements for HIPPA, something that Apple doesn't do.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Lab4Us said:

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

...just sayin’...

Hey just because my street address is 666 it doesn't mean, wait ... have to stoke the furnace.
    DAalseth
  • Reply 17 of 33
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    The new Blue Screen Of Death will imply that it's you who died, not your PC.  Yay, Microsoft.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 33
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    It doesn't sound like either Apple's or Microsoft's system will include a face-to-face with the user to prove who they are when they get their digital identity. Yawn.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    danvm said:

There is a large list of enterprises and business that trust MS authentication platform (Azure AD / AD) for their users and customers ID's.  And now they are moving to password less on their services and products, as a method to improve security. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/passwordless

Like you said, if it's online, it can be hacked and stolen.  But MS have been prove very solid from a security POV, specially with their cloud services.  I think that's the reason MC team with MS for this project.  
    Part of the trouble is that when a business is hacked, it's their customer's information that is stolen and it's customers that suffer the consequences.   The business itself gets a bit of bad publicity, spends few dollars on a token effort to placate the affected customers, and then moves on with business as usual.

Having their customer's information stolen is now just a normal cost of doing business -- for the enterprise.  So, their incentive is to put as little time, effort and money into secure systems as they can reasonably get away with and still be able to claim that they keep their customer's private information secure.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Lab4Us said:

...just sayin’...

Here's the modern version of that - "Biohacking" your body with computer chips:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-46445071/biohackers-my-hand-chip-could-unlock-my-car-door