Intel details 'Sunny Cove' processors suitable for 2019 Mac Pro, iMac Pro refresh in 2019

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    vannygee said:
    Am I the only one wishing for a threadripper line up? Bring me that sweet mobo with that 256GB ECC(or otherwise no problem really) RAM
    Maybe. Those AMD designs are mostly many core driven. That’s something that’s not very useful in most situations. You really need 256GB RAM right now?
  • Reply 42 of 45
    melgross said:
    vannygee said:
    Am I the only one wishing for a threadripper line up? Bring me that sweet mobo with that 256GB ECC(or otherwise no problem really) RAM
    Maybe. Those AMD designs are mostly many core driven. That’s something that’s not very useful in most situations. You really need 256GB RAM right now?
    These threadrippers have been designed to support even more RAM. Not a need per se, could get away with 128GB in 2018-2019. Has to be relatively future proof at the proposed price though.

looking to set up a KVM based solution to run volumetric video stitching from 50+ cameras as well as some other things (that aren't quite as demanding)
    RAM is super important for the volumetric video, it will chew through it. VRAM wise, 8GB is enough, just for the meshing that is
  • Reply 43 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    vannygee said:
    melgross said:
    vannygee said:
    These threadrippers have been designed to support even more RAM. Not a need per se, could get away with 128GB in 2018-2019. Has to be relatively future proof at the proposed price though.

looking to set up a KVM based solution to run volumetric video stitching from 50+ cameras as well as some other things (that aren't quite as demanding)
    RAM is super important for the volumetric video, it will chew through it. VRAM wise, 8GB is enough, just for the meshing that is
    That’s somewhat different. I find that editing 4K with 64GB RAM is sufficient to keep the project in RAM.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    vannygee said:
    I would love to see Apple dump Intel * just go all in on AMD...

But keep in mind that Threadripper is a consumer product, so no ECC RAM; for ECC you will need to move to the enterprise-oriented Epyc CPU lineup...

Now, the rumors of forthcoming Ryzen updates is exciting, with consumer-oriented Ryzen CPUs starting at 6c/12t in the R3s & going up to 16c/32t units in the R9 lineup...

But the 'other side' of it all is the rumored transition to ARM...

I am kind of hoping the delay on the new modular Mac Pro has been not an issue on waiting on specific parts, but on waiting on getting a transition to ARM done properly...?!?
  • Reply 45 of 45
    AMD has ECC support even down to their dirt cheap Athlon line.
    edited December 2018