Apple expands iPhone XS and XR trade-in program countries around the world

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member

microbe said:
    “In the U.S., customers can receive up to $450 when trading in an iPhone X, $350 for an iPhone 8 Plus or $300 for an iPhone 8 or iPhone 7 Plus.” Whether it’s a cell phone or a car, the manufacturers know the true value of their product. Why should people pay more?
    Wow, talk about total ignorance. OK here's why the trade-in credit is lower on those older devices than what they cost new:

- they're older devices and no longer new
    - they're used
    - convienence 
    - they will be resold again after refurbishing, at a higher price than the trade-in credit

...don't like trade-in prices? Happily, you are 100% free to sell it on your own for more. It's more work, but you will take home more. See how that works?
    Prior to the new offer, I would have got 0€ for the iPhone 6 (in pristine condition) but Apple would recycle it for 'free'. Erm, no. The cost of recycling and safe disposal is already included - by EU law - in the purchase price! EU users pay - up front - to avoid paid obligations down the line.

After the promotion went live, Apple gave me 135€. What does that tell you?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 62 of 71
    avon b7 said:
    propod said:
    propod said:

Hint: customers don’t like greedy companies.
    Customers like good products and Apple seems to be meeting those demands, pretty much better than all other companies, so they either disagree with you or they don't care as much as you think.
    propod said:

Hint: other mobile companies accomplish this as well without being greedy.
    And make no money in the process, great recipe for success.

Perhaps you should stop projecting your own issues onto Apple, its customers and its success, you're really not doing your own credibility here any favours by commenting on business success factors that are refuted so easily by reality. Pricing, product strategy and customer satisfaction aren't the armchair CEO's forte.
    They will care when they loose a big healthy customer base.

Apple did extremely well before this money grab. This will backfire. How many will return?
    Oh I see, the "One day, Gadget!" troll trope. Yeah no, people like you have been whining about Apple for 40 years, predicting doom. Still here, still thriving. Most successful company and product in human history. Oops. And the new pricing of the X killed it, despite your whines then. Oops again.
    I thought this was about iPhone.

iPhone hasn't been thriving - for years, now. Unless raising prices is 'thriving' as there is a limit to how far you can go. That's why the company is boosting efforts in other areas.

We may be seeing Apple hitting the price ceiling. If they do, it isn't unreasonable to imagine a situation where sales drop off (as opposed to remaining flat). From there it is up to Apple to react. 

Perhaps the recent hikes in give back value - direct from Apple and right before Christmas - are an early indicator of that reaction.

iPhone remains a major piece of the Apple pie. Just last week it was revealed that a ban on iPhone sales in China would be so catastrophic for the company that it would basically have to concede before QC.
    "iPhone hasn't been thriving - for years, now."

That depends on from what perspective you look at it.  If you're looking at YoY unit sales of new iPhones since the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus super cycle, then I can see why you'd think that since unit sales increases have been flat for the most part.  if you're looking at it from increase in total user base, then it's been a huge success since there's been a 300 million user increase since the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus introduction.  So people definitely want iPhones.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    avon b7 said:
    propod said:
    propod said:

Customers like good products and Apple seems to be meeting those demands, pretty much better than all other companies, so they either disagree with you or they don't care as much as you think.
    propod said:

Perhaps you should stop projecting your own issues onto Apple, its customers and its success, you're really not doing your own credibility here any favours by commenting on business success factors that are refuted so easily by reality. Pricing, product strategy and customer satisfaction aren't the armchair CEO's forte.

Apple did extremely well before this money grab. This will backfire. How many will return?
    Oh I see, the "One day, Gadget!" troll trope. Yeah no, people like you have been whining about Apple for 40 years, predicting doom. Still here, still thriving. Most successful company and product in human history. Oops. And the new pricing of the X killed it, despite your whines then. Oops again.

iPhone hasn't been thriving - for years, now. Unless raising prices is 'thriving' as there is a limit to how far you can go. That's why the company is boosting efforts in other areas.

We may be seeing Apple hitting the price ceiling. If they do, it isn't unreasonable to imagine a situation where sales drop off (as opposed to remaining flat). From there it is up to Apple to react. 

Perhaps the recent hikes in give back value - direct from Apple and right before Christmas - are an early indicator of that reaction.

iPhone remains a major piece of the Apple pie. Just last week it was revealed that a ban on iPhone sales in China would be so catastrophic for the company that it would basically have to concede before QC.

That depends on from what perspective you look at it.  If you're looking at YoY unit sales of new iPhones since the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus super cycle, then I can see why you'd think that since unit sales increases have been flat for the most part.  if you're looking at it from increase in total user base, then it's been a huge success since there's been a 300 million user increase since the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus introduction.  So people definitely want iPhones.
    No one can scoff at 200 million units shipped.

The problem is that 200 million is a tiny amount of the the market and Apple has been unable claw more away from Android.

People talk about user base but I have never seen Apple detail what the user base really is. We need to know how many unique Apple IDs are in there and how 'active' those users are.

In my case there are two unique Apple IDs spread over numerous hardware units - none of which are reporting services revenue to Apple.

• Reply 64 of 71
    The following reason Apple is heavily promoting trade ins of older iPhones for newer iPhones is the reason no Apple-focused Web site will the courage to write about because it wouldn’t resonate with the lyrics of another gloom and doom song being sung by analysts and bloggers: Getting people off iPhones containing Qualcomm chips as fast as possible. 
  • Reply 65 of 71
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    propod said:
    propod said:

propod said:

The problem is that 200 million is a tiny amount of the the market and Apple has been unable claw more away from Android.

People talk about user base but I have never seen Apple detail what the user base really is. We need to know how many unique Apple IDs are in there and how 'active' those users are.

In my case there are two unique Apple IDs spread over numerous hardware units - none of which are reporting services revenue to Apple.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/01/apple-now-has-1-3-billion-active-devices-worldwide/

Well, your devices not reporting services revenue is a given for anyone that has read your posts. On the other hand, I doubt that Google, et al, is seeing much in the way of services either, but thanks for providing all of your data. Still, you could afford Spotify, and that would really show Apple how you roll.

This is the part where I mention acquisition costs, and revenues, and point out that Apple still generates the bulk of profits in the entire smartphone industry. Oh, and I don't want to fail to note that Android OS devices sales are flat just as Apple's iPhone sales are.

edited December 2018 TheDude121
  • Reply 66 of 71
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    propod said:
    propod said:

propod said:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/01/apple-now-has-1-3-billion-active-devices-worldwide/

Well, your devices not reporting services revenue is a given for anyone that has read your posts. On the other hand, I doubt that Google, et al, is seeing much in the way of services either, but thanks for providing all of your data. Still, you could afford Spotify, and that would really show Apple how you roll.

This is the part where I mention acquisition costs, and revenues, and point out that Apple still generates the bulk of profits in the entire smartphone industry. Oh, and I don't want to fail to note that Android OS devices sales are flat just as Apple's iPhone sales are.

Android OS devices as a whole may be flat in terms of platform sales but that isn't the case for vendor sales.

Google gets a whole lot off me without me paying anything to Google. Every time I do a Google search, Google makes some money.

How much Apple makes in profits really doesn't benefit me. Most of those profits are simply accumulating off shore.

With far less profits Huawei is producing better hardware options and investing more in R&D. It still has billions leftover in profits though.

• Reply 67 of 71
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    propod said:
    propod said:

propod said:

Android OS devices as a whole may be flat in terms of platform sales but that isn't the case for vendor sales.

Google gets a whole lot off me without me paying anything to Google. Every time I do a Google search, Google makes some money.

How much Apple makes in profits really doesn't benefit me. Most of those profits are simply accumulating off shore.

With far less profits Huawei is producing better hardware options and investing more in R&D. It still has billions leftover in profits though.

All else being equal, I'd bet Google makes more off of your wife's iPhone searches than they do off of your Honor 10 searches.

Just saying.

Apple invests almost the same amount as Huawei, and given the number of new products that Apple has launched over the years, I'd say that they are pretty efficient with their R&D. Of course, credit to Huawei for churning out a shit ton of models every quarter, a necessity to compete in the Android OS device market.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    propod said:
    propod said:
    propod said:

propod said:

"Apple doom and gloom," one of the internet troll's favourite epithets to hurl. You definitely have a bright future ahead of you in the financial analyst industry, given how astute you seem to be with sales and customer predictions.
    I just listen to the ground. My troll tip for you is that there is a Lot less iPhone sales this quarter.
    Not saying you're wrong but what are you basing this on? Just word on the street?
    I work for 1 of the biggest telcos on earth. We have a lot of global customers that has excluded iPhone r/x/s because of the price hike including mine. As a consultant I move around a lot, and as far as Europe and Asia goes it looks bad, xr starts at 1000$ in Europe. I don’t have sales numbers, but every where I go people complain about the price and hold of buying a new iPhone xxx. Although I’m a troll I don’t live in a bubble as some other guys here.

i want Apple to succeed, but I can’t defend this move by them. 

Apple has a lot of loyal customers but there are limits, I think this move will affect Apple a lot. Apple realise this now (promotions), next step lower price (embarrassing again) 

edited December 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 69 of 71

will they take my X ? this phone is 1) overpriced - yes its a great phone but way overpriced and 2) way too heavy so easily breakable. why build a phone out of steel wneh it makes the phone much easier to drop and therefor break? answer? AppleCare. and the Xr is heavier? nonsense. Am i in the minority I don't think so tim. X gestures are amazing though... F ID is great and kinda blows at the same time.
    It's too heavy? Time to get to the gym, my guy. I love the weight of the X, nor is it overpriced. If you add up all the devices it replaces, it comes in under-priced. Again. 
    I'm at the gym right now with the iPhone in my left hand and I'm holding on to 10 lbs with my right hand and i can tell the iPhone is lighter but not by much. Apple def wants me to drop this thing and pay , oh well.. Phone 6 6s 7 7s 8 etc already replaced everything at a reasonable starting price. if the x were jst a little thinnner and lighter it would make a huge diff day 2 day got that tim c?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 70 of 71
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01/02/apple-lowers-holiday-quarter-guidance-on-lower-than-expected-iphone-sales

StrangeDays - Flydog - Williamlondon - AppleExposed

You are my Goldfish

My posts:

Apples greed has put them in this position, was it worth 50 billion $ in lower valuation? How much has their greed cost in trust? The stockholders can’t be happy with this strategy. ( Correction: Apple has lost 32% of its valuation since October 2018 or 350 BILLION US $ )

I just listen to the ground. My troll tip for you is that there is a Lot less iPhone sales this quarter.

williamlondon