Apple lays off more than 200 employees from 'Project Titan' autonomous vehicle team

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    JWSC said:

tmay said:
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:
    Maybe they finally accepted that building a car is a bit more complex... than glueing a pice of gorilla glass onto an aluminum case.

Or they realized that leading car manufacturers update their cars regularly... what do you mean, we can’t sell the 2020 model unchanged and for the same price until 2028??

LOL
    They should leave the Car to a real innovative company - Tesla.    Producing the car would mean securing a substantial supply of batteries on the assumption that it would be electric.   To break into the market place Apple would probably need some technological break throughs in Solid State battery and Self Driving technologies.    Two important areas where Apple appears way behind.    It's a little disappointing because I think that Apple has the talent to miniaturize LIDAR even if they are way behind Waymo in software.   Not that I have the money to afford a $100,000 vanity project for Jony Ive.

Looks like Doug Field ran back to Apple too soon.

Tesla is failing financially and its manufacturing and service are subpar. Worse for Tesla, the tax credits are halved to $3750, and they haven't figured out how to produce that $35K model. Then, or course, there are the announced competitors that have been and will continues to eat into Tesla's S and X sales.

I haven't a clue what Apple is doing wrt vehicles, but I doubt that they will be building one for consumers; the margins just aren't there.
    And Tesla just laid off 3,000 workers. I’ve a feeling they continue to bleed cash and it’s time to pay the piper.

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-layoffs-cost-cutting/
    But Elon Musk cannot do wrong! His name is too cool! Right guys...?
    A lot of Musk haters here.  Odd since he shares many of the same good and bad characteristics as Jobs.  Really don’t get it.
    Personally, I like what he’s attempting to do, but the electric car market is only now starting to grow (VW is transitioning to all electrics and that is a huge change of direction for them). There’s no guarantee Tesla will be able to weather this transition, but they have certainly been a catalyst for the transition.
    lolliver
  • Reply 42 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    JWSC said:

tmay said:
    k2kw said:
    hucom2000 said:
    Maybe they finally accepted that building a car is a bit more complex... than glueing a pice of gorilla glass onto an aluminum case.

Or they realized that leading car manufacturers update their cars regularly... what do you mean, we can’t sell the 2020 model unchanged and for the same price until 2028??

LOL
    They should leave the Car to a real innovative company - Tesla.    Producing the car would mean securing a substantial supply of batteries on the assumption that it would be electric.   To break into the market place Apple would probably need some technological break throughs in Solid State battery and Self Driving technologies.    Two important areas where Apple appears way behind.    It's a little disappointing because I think that Apple has the talent to miniaturize LIDAR even if they are way behind Waymo in software.   Not that I have the money to afford a $100,000 vanity project for Jony Ive.

Looks like Doug Field ran back to Apple too soon.

Tesla is failing financially and its manufacturing and service are subpar. Worse for Tesla, the tax credits are halved to $3750, and they haven't figured out how to produce that $35K model. Then, or course, there are the announced competitors that have been and will continues to eat into Tesla's S and X sales.

I haven't a clue what Apple is doing wrt vehicles, but I doubt that they will be building one for consumers; the margins just aren't there.
    And Tesla just laid off 3,000 workers. I’ve a feeling they continue to bleed cash and it’s time to pay the piper.

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-layoffs-cost-cutting/
    But Elon Musk cannot do wrong! His name is too cool! Right guys...?
    A lot of Musk haters here.  Odd since he shares many of the same good and bad characteristics as Jobs.  Really don’t get it.
    I don't hate Musk at all.  I have said many times that I think someone who is bold and tries to change industries (cars, rockets - quite diverse...:) is to be commended, even if they fail.

But Jobs and Musk are hardly similar (maybe a few traits like control freaks and having well renowned tempers).  Jobs was totally focused on the product, and that it should be made to ship, and work well.  He never talked about future sh*t, about what was coming, how Apple would change the world.  He made sure the product worked.  He built teams and then Apple with a well sustained culture and management approach.  

Musk has done none of that.  He is a "one man show", never hitting targets, burning through no end of management, and always in the limelight.

And to finish for those on here that always bring it up - Musk would be HORRIBLE at Apple as CEO, and the DEATH OF THE COMPANY!!