Lawsuit claims Apple's iOS updates in 2016 forced customers to buy new iPhone chargers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    As others have said, I've seen this happen from time to time.

The details of the charges don't make any sense either.  To prove that Apple did something nefarious with a software update, they point out that:
    1. Their device was working for before an oddly specific date of September 13, 2016.
    2. They got an iOS update in October the following year (personally, I experienced a number of updates during that year, but whatever),
    3. "Later" the phone displayed this message (that most of us have seen before and after that date).

Yeah, that's an open and shut case, all right. /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure allows the courts to sanction attorneys and parties for harassing and frivolous claims. It is disfavored but I would suggest the claim here is so clearly frivolous that Rule 11 should be invoked. 

randominternetpersonmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Was that the version of iOS where they cracked down on MFi certification? I did see an error like that after one of the recent iOS updates, which was accompanied at the time with a warning about changes in how iOS was validating accessories. Of course, it seems now that the device having the problems (an iPad Air) actually had damage to the Lightning Port, which was preventing it from connecting or charging properly. (When I eventually took it to the Genius Bar, they weren't able to see any obvious damage, or why it wasn't working, despite it very obviously not working. Then they replaced it the whole thing under the battery replacement policy, so I only paid about half what I expected to.)
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Bad cables. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I've never even had a Apple cable go bad on me. What people are doing with these things?!?! my guess pulling the cable out of the phone by the cable and NOT the plug. As in grabbing the plug part and puling it out. When you hank out by the cable it's self, this causes a lot of damage to the cable.

I have this issue at work. You wouldn't believe how many cables Electrical cables from Extension cords to pallet jacks that have a missing ground on the cord!!! They are in fact still in the electrical plug in the wall. This is from the exact same reason. Yanking out the cord by the cord. Not grabbing the plug part and pulling out that way. I've never in all my years have a ground from a 3 prong plug be pulled out of any of my cables at home. Here at work, all the time. Some people just don't know better. Or just don't care as it's not there's. If you have issues with bad Apple cables, I'm pretty sure you're one of them jerkers. Jerking the cord from the phone by the cable and NOT the Plug. Which puts excessive force on the cable.

Apple Phone chargers, there's nothing special about them. You get a new one with every iPhone. They don't just fail so you have to buy a new Apple Charger. Most of the time I don't even use a Apple charger. My cables are either plugged into a computer or a 3rd party charger. I have a 7 USB port power adapter so that I can plug in a number of devices at once with a single plug.

This lawsuit is just beyond DUMB.   There is nothing in an Apple Charger that can FAIL because of an iOS update.   
    edited February 2019 randominternetpersonmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Didn’t consent to the update? Is perjury a thing in the US?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    I wonder if these were mostly the cheap rip-offs that looked exactly like the Apple ones.  I've seen a couple that are spot on matches, but the bar codes/info are clearly not Apple.  The casual user/non-techie would probably not notice this.

The only other time I saw this was when using my real Apple charger connected to a 3rd party dock that, I admit, was pretty cheap.  It was the dock, not the cable/charger causing the issue.

I don't have an iPhone, but I assume the situation would be the same with my iPad/iPod Touch.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    mcdave said:
    Didn’t consent to the update? Is perjury a thing in the US?
    I imagine turning on Automatic Updates implies consent so even that excuse would be out the window. 

Methinks this is either an attempt at a money grab or someone who is just woefully ignorant of how their technology works. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    jbdragon said:

Apple Phone chargers, there's nothing special about them. You get a new one with every iPhone. They don't just fail so you have to buy a new Apple Charger. Most of the time I don't even use a Apple charger. My cables are either plugged into a computer or a 3rd party charger.
    This article is a little old but worth a re-read. 

http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Happened to me once.

Turned out to be pocket fluff in the lightning socket.

Of course, rather than just cleaning out the socket, I waited for a shady law firm to contact me and let them talk me into their 'Fluffgate' action which they vainly hope will net them millions from Apple, from which I will see about fifty dollars and change.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    In all likelihood, it’s an issue with the cable, not the chargers.

Apple’s cables are however defective, and someone should sue them about that, as Apple refuses to exchange them, while at the same time admitting that the only defects they track, are the ones that result in an exchange.

The issue with Apple’s cables is, that in an effort to be environmentally friendly, they chose a plastic insulator that disintegrates over time when exposed to sweat and grease traces from skin contact. I have old Apple cables from ages ago that are fine, but from when they changed the material, within a few months the insulation literally gets soft and crumbles off the underlying wires at only those locations where the cable is regularly touched by bare fingers.
    Needless to say, the increased demise of cables is likely a lot less environmentally friendly than using a better plastic for a cable that lasts for the life of the device or beyond, like things used to be.

Apple pretends the frayed cables to be the result of abuse by users, but fact is, I don’t treat new equipment worse than old equipment, nor do I treat 3rd party cables better than Apple cables, and the only cables exhibiting this particular problem are the ones made by/for Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    genovelle said:
    jungmark said:
    Nonsense. I still use old chargers for my iPhone 8. My mom uses her original charger for her 6. 
    This only happens when the cords get old or is a cheap 3rd party that is possibly not wired to standards. This creates the notifications. I have had this to happen a few times over the years but not even every time I used that cable. Eventually it just stopped charging at all. Swap the cable and bam. It worked. 
    What is "not wired to standard"? All of them are. They may be only missing proper Apple licensed chip and that is how Apple blocks them (yes even plugs on cables have chip now). I lost this way several "cheap" dongles that kept converting mini USB cables that were predominant on the market and I was not going to buy expensive Apple cables that are also made cheaply and break way too easily around plug. So to summarize AmazonEssentials makes now superior cables to Apple and Apple would have hard time to block theirs for number of reasons (they could not afford that big lawsuit is No. 1). Apple should have started making nylon braided cables especially on their dongles and lower their prices from nominal $20-$30 to $10 like everybody else. I had to heat shrink reinforce their Lightning to jack convertion dongle before it breaks because in fact it is cheaply made with way too soft and to thin wire cable.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    jungmark said:
    Nonsense. I still use old chargers for my iPhone 8. My mom uses her original charger for her 6. 
    Yes.  I'm still using an iPhone6 and while it did have trouble charging for a while, it wasn't because of an iOS update - it was because the port was dirty and my attempts at cleaning it didn't work.   But I got the $29 battery replacement at Apple and without me asking, they cleaned the port and the phone works absolutely fine...so fine, that it's actually stopped me from investing in a new iPhone, so Apple has done quite the opposite of what the suit has claimed, although I suppose I'll probably bite the bullet next Fall when the phone will be close to five years old!   I have gotten that error message from time to time, but only when I was using a non-Apple cable and it still charged anyway, so this lawsuit seems ridiculous and completely bogus to me, but most class-action lawsuits are just about lawyers scamming companies out of money.  Consumers usually wind up with $5 if they get anything at all.