HomePod holding at 6 percent of growing US smartspeaker market

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    HomePod Siri works well with Apple Music requests and to control my Philips Hue lights.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Actually, 3.96 million HomePods sold in the USA alone at 349 dollars each generated almost 1.4 Billion dollars revenue for Apple (not including ongoing Apple Music subscriptions etc). Very impressive indeed. Then there are the 1.4 billion Apple devices that put Siri on the wrists, pockets, laps and desks of the most lucrative demographic in the world. As a result, Siri dominates the Voice Assistant market in terms of actual usage to the tune of 45.6% marketshare compared to Google Assistant on 28.7%, Alexa on 13.2%, Samsung's Bixby on 6.2% and Microsoft's Cortana on 4.9%. It is apparent that it is Amazon's 46m Alexa-powered Echo devices and Google Assistant that are the ones falling short where it matters.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Actually, 3.96 million HomePods sold in the USA alone at 349 dollars each generated almost 1.4 Billion dollars revenue for Apple (not including worldwide HomePod sales or ongoing Apple Music subscriptions etc). Very impressive indeed. Then there are the 1.4 billion Apple devices that put Siri on the wrists, pockets, laps and desks of the most lucrative demographic in the world. As a result, Siri dominates the Voice Assistant market in terms of actual usage to the tune of 45.6% marketshare compared to Google Assistant on 28.7%, Alexa on 13.2%, Samsung's Bixby on 6.2% and Microsoft's Cortana on 4.9%. It is apparent that it is Amazon's 46m Alexa-powered Echo devices and Google Assistant that are the ones falling short where it matters.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    dedgecko said:
    I won't have any interest in this device until Siri sees some major improvements.
    To be able to answer questions accurately, and not reply with random crap that is not related to the query. To do more than function as a timer, and even that Siri fails 1/30 times. 
    Siri is actually more accurate now than Alexa after recent upgrades by Apple. LoupVentures reported recently that in their latest annual test of voice assistants, Siri's accuracy rate was 79% compared to Alexa on 61% and Cortana on just 52%. Siri was only 7% behind the leader, Google Assistant on 86%. And Siri is improving at a faster rate of 22% compared to only 7% for Google and 9% for Alexa. I use Siri on my HomePod, Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple TVs all the time to perform all sorts of tasks. What things are you unable to do with Siri that other assistants could do?
  • Reply 45 of 45
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

I own two echo dots and an Apple HomePod and my purchasing decision for each was very different.

I have an echo dot in my bedroom and one in the kitchen, they are used for alarms, basic queries and for smart home automation.

The HomePod sits in our lounge, and its primary use is as a speaker for Apple Music, and by god, as a speaker it excels! Secondary use would be sending the odd text, answering a phone call and some home automation.

Looking at millions of units sold as a failure just because it does not sell as nearly as many units as the £25 hockey puck echo dot makes no sense to me, they are not even in the same league and that is not a slight against either product.