Huawei cloning Apple parts, rewarding employees for tech theft

Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    avon b7 said:
    mercel said:
    At least the Chinesse realize they dont have what is required to create such amazing products and they are trying to learn how to make it... is bad but you have to learn somewere.... Apple need to protect better its investments
    And people should stop patronizing the copycat manufacturers.  I’m looking at you Huawei, Samsung, etc.  
    At this point in time it should be clear to all that a very widespread and intense slur campaign is underway by the US government against Huawei.

The US is pushing other countries hard to stop Huawei's progress in key strategic fields where the US looks to lose influence.

Pompeo is on tour at this very moment and attacking Huawei at every step - and admitting to it publicly - but with little or nothing in tow in terms of facts.

I would say if there is anything to bite on, companies must present formal charges. 'Anonymous' claims and how they are presented should be taken lightly until the 5G roll out is well under way.

Huawei's R&D outlay has been consistently near the top of the world rankings for years now and that is part of the reality the US hawks do not want to entertain. 

The courts is very much the way to go if any of the facts want to be heard (should they truly exist).

As far as stripping down competitors' products goes, I'm sure it's standard practice and I include Apple in this group too as well.

Gosh you claim there are very little facts to back things up, but you show very little yourself. We do know they tried to steal technology from T-Mobile as well as Akhan. Huawei's phones are iPhone knock offs. According to news reports this week, Huawei tried to gain information about competitors by promising manufactures manufacturing contracts for stealing technology and the same of employees of competitors. 

There is also a difference between buying a competitors products to learn how they work to illegally stealing the underlying IP. I wonder who's phone Apple bought and broke down when it first came up with the iPhone or Apple Watch. 
    tmayanantksundaramradarthekatAppleExposedStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 131
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    laoban00 said:
    At least the Chinesse realize they dont have what is required to create such amazing products and they are trying to learn how to make it... is bad but you have to learn somewere.... Apple need to protect better its investments
    Lol. Let me know when an iphone shoots better pics than even the cheapest Huawei. For your info the best smartphone in the world is the Huawei Mate 20 pro. 

Lol. Let me know when you stop being completely full of shit. You're either a cheap shill, or an ignorant moron. 
    anantksundaramradarthekatAppleExposedStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 131
    Just to clarify something because it seems people often mix up between Apple 'copying' and Huawei 'cloning'. When a company steals an idea from others and implement their own to make it works better, it's acceptable by any standard, even you can call that a smart move. But when a company not only steal an idea, but also the implementation (how it was done), the design (how it will look to the potential buyer), the function (fall detection), the method down to the size of bolts and nuts, it's considered 'theft', 'unacceptable', 'cloning' in any standards. What Huawei did with AppleWatch is the later, it is not even remotely close to Apple 'copying wireless charging' for example.
    radarthekatStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 131
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    Al_ien1 said:
    The US has been doing the same thing for decades. There is a Foriegn Technology Division in WPAFB in Ohio whose purpose is to reverse engineer Foriegn Technology! China has invested untold Billions of dollars in technology while the US has SPENT untold Billions on the military. If America had created the 5G technology first they would be pushing it to countries around the world (for spying as well ) and no one would have heard of Huawei. 
    OK, you China trolls that are showing up in spades. Here's a simple question that I invite any one of you to answer: Name one -- not two, not three, not four, just one -- product or service created/innovated by China in the past, let's say, three decades that has become a global product or service. I dare you to name one.

I'll wait.
    That reminded me of the 'what have the Romans ever done for us?' in the Life of Brian. LOL.

But if we are ignoring what the Chinese gave to the world centuries ago and limiting scope to the last few decades, I'd say China is leading the way in technologies related to facial recognition and exporting them with success but what is perhaps more noteworthy is the progess it has made in innovation and technology during the last 30 years:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w22854.pdf [.pdf]

And I suppose Chow Mein doesn't count ;-)

Joking apart, let's not forget that Huawei is going to be a major player in 5G and everything associated with the technologies that branch out from it.
    He's not talking about Chow Mein and block printing. He's talking about technology. 

mikeboggs said:

RUN!!!

The 1-post iKnockoff Knights are coming!!!

Huawei isn't doing what they have been falsely accused of. I don't have any prove and neither does America! I personally think/ feel
    That the American government is greedy and that they/we have our hands in Samsung's and many other overseas cellphone manufacturers pockets and have been unable
    to get their hands into Huawei. I don't believe for one second that they have been spying on us. And what would that say about our own CIA if they did somehow manage to spy?
    That we suck in this game I would say.
    Anyways, I'm just a plain average person that has no trade secrets or too secret information that the chinChi government
    would find interesting. So, as just a plain american that like value at affordable prices
    I'll keep using my Huawei and in fact I think illI buy me another one because they do make great phones!!!!

A 1-poster signed up after I called out the one-posters!! Finally!!

...And yes he was as dumb as they as are. Yeah dude you're an average person alright. You have no idea how android works(exists to steal your personal data) and you enjoy a phone that copied everything from Apple. I bet you hate iPhones. You people are so hypocritical it makes me lose faith in humanity.

radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 131

slurpy said:
    The best part is how pretty much every single American tech Youtuber shills for Huawei as much as possible, recommending their products and claiming they're just as good if not better than Apple's offerings. I find it utterly disgusting and disgraceful, to be honest. Who knows if they're being paid to do it or not, but either way it's pathetic.
    Oh it's disgusting. I'm making a video and I believe I used that exact word describing the deep hate these people have for Apple.

avon b7 said:
    slurpy said:
    The best part is how pretty much every single American tech Youtuber shills for Huawei as much as possible, recommending their products and claiming they're just as good if not better than Apple's offerings. I find it utterly disgusting and disgraceful, to be honest. Who knows if they're being paid to do it or not, but either way it's pathetic.
    It does seem as though US tech writers (not only YouTubers) seem to rate Huawei quite highly but that doesn't make it pathetic or disgusting. I don't know how much is sponsored but, having quite close contact with the medical profession, I can guarantee you that what US pharmaceutical companies in the EU push medical professionals to prescribe their products in ways that make Huawei pale in comparison but that is how business is done and is openly recognised as such. Microsoft in its heydey was far far worse in the computing realm.

Huawei products have stood their ground on merit, though. I do not doubt there is sponsored content (in fact I sometimes see it labelled as such) but the phones are rated for what they are and currently are some of the best on offer in terms of both technology and price.

It's for clicks dude. Don't act confused.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 131
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Al_ien1 said:
    The US has been doing the same thing for decades. There is a Foriegn Technology Division in WPAFB in Ohio whose purpose is to reverse engineer Foriegn Technology! China has invested untold Billions of dollars in technology while the US has SPENT untold Billions on the military. If America had created the 5G technology first they would be pushing it to countries around the world (for spying as well ) and no one would have heard of Huawei. 
    OK, you China trolls that are showing up in spades. Here's a simple question that I invite any one of you to answer: Name one -- not two, not three, not four, just one -- product or service created/innovated by China in the past, let's say, three decades that has become a global product or service. I dare you to name one.

I'll wait.
    That reminded me of the 'what have the Romans ever done for us?' in the Life of Brian. LOL.

But if we are ignoring what the Chinese gave to the world centuries ago and limiting scope to the last few decades, I'd say China is leading the way in technologies related to facial recognition and exporting them with success but what is perhaps more noteworthy is the progess it has made in innovation and technology during the last 30 years:

Joking apart, let's not forget that Huawei is going to be a major player in 5G and everything associated with the technologies that branch out from it.
    Ah, I knew that ridiculous stuff like centuries old "chow mein" -- heck, I'll even grant you paper, porcelain, and gunpowder -- would be trotted out.

The only example you can come up with is a yet-to-be proven "..leading the way in in technologies related to facial recognition and exporting them with success...." How exactly are they leading the way except in building the surveillance state? Who are the companies doing this? What are their revenues? To whom are they exporting? What is the value of their exports? How does it compare with their $500B in Chinese exports to the US of other stuff that the rest of the world created or innovated?

Btw, do you know who came up with facial recognition technology, and where? (Hint: It's not China).

That's all you can come up with?! Did China come up with.... let me throw out a few random things from just the last 30 or so years... Laptops? Email? E-commerce? Search? Social networking? GUI? MRI? Flash memory? Lasers? Robotic surgery? DNA testing? RFID? Barcodes? Stents? Smartphones? Tablets? Biofuels? ATMs? LEDs? LCDs? GPS? Large scale wind turbines? PV cells? Digital photography?

If you go back a bit more, did China come up with world-changing things like Airplanes? Fiber optics? Internet? Software/programming languages? Automobiles? The internal combustion engine? Rockets? Satellites? Penicillin? The germ theory of disease? Open heart surgery? Semiconductors? Want me to go on? Want 20 more such examples? 50 more? 100 more?

Name ONE innovation from China -- OK, I'll expand it to the last 100 years -- that's in the same league as any of these. ONE. (I don't wish to single out China -- I'll take any Asian country as an example in the same league of innovative ability, if you can provide it).

Pathetic... please just slink away...

As I said, what is far more important is how they have progressed and where they might be heading over the coming decades. The document I linked to is quite informative. Especially the section on patents

Facial recognition technology is not something people want to speak openly about but Chinese tech is currently in testing or being used around the world in both the public and private sector. HiSilicon is also developing (well it has already deployed) custom AI silicon to advance the technology even further.

Facial recognition wasn't the only thing I mentioned. I also mentioned 5G and the possible developments arising from that.
    You don’t even know that the correct term is Face Recognition.  Google a bit to discover how the huge body of technical research papers (hundreds of them) use the terms.  

FACIAL recognition is not FACE recognition.  It can be used as a step in a face recognition process, but facial recognition is simply the process of identifying each feature of a face; eyes, nose, mouth, smiling, frowning, etc, but not used to determine whose face it is.

Facial recognition returns the result, here is the mouth and it is smiling, which is useful to map that feature onto the face of an avatar or game character, or useful in mapping an overlay onto the person's actual face, ala Memoji.  But facial recognition does NOT return the result, 'this is Phil Schiller's face.'  That biometric identification step is done by a method called face recognition.  I know, I know, they sound the same.  But facial recognition and face recognition, and face detection, are all three different things:

Face recognition is the term used to describe the process of identifying a specific person, such as from a database of known persons (no fly list, for example).  This is face recognition.

There's also face detection, which is the process of detecting a human face, or faces, within a scene.  This is typically a precursor to application of face recognition algorithms.

Then there's facial recognition, which is the process of detecting specific facial expressions (smiling, frowning, sadness, etc).  This term is often used in the medical world to characterize specific inabilities of patients to recognize meaning in human faces.  Or, I suppose, one could use the term facial recognition to mean the detection of someone who has recently come from a spa treatment appointment.  (Kidding.)

And now you know the reason Apple calls the feature Face ID, and not Facial ID.

And by the way, if you want to know the origins, they date back to the 70s and 80s.  My own brother filed a patent advancing face recognition as part of his Master thesis, applying blurring techniques and Fourier transforms that today are still used in the implementation of the function. 

tmayStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 131
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Al_ien1 said:

I'll wait.

Ah, I knew that ridiculous stuff like centuries old "chow mein" -- heck, I'll even grant you paper, porcelain, and gunpowder -- would be trotted out.

The only example you can come up with is a yet-to-be proven "..leading the way in in technologies related to facial recognition and exporting them with success...." How exactly are they leading the way except in building the surveillance state? Who are the companies doing this? What are their revenues? To whom are they exporting? What is the value of their exports? How does it compare with their $500B in Chinese exports to the US of other stuff that the rest of the world created or innovated?

Btw, do you know who came up with facial recognition technology, and where? (Hint: It's not China).

That's all you can come up with?! Did China come up with.... let me throw out a few random things from just the last 30 or so years... Laptops? Email? E-commerce? Search? Social networking? GUI? MRI? Flash memory? Lasers? Robotic surgery? DNA testing? RFID? Barcodes? Stents? Smartphones? Tablets? Biofuels? ATMs? LEDs? LCDs? GPS? Large scale wind turbines? PV cells? Digital photography?

If you go back a bit more, did China come up with world-changing things like Airplanes? Fiber optics? Internet? Software/programming languages? Automobiles? The internal combustion engine? Rockets? Satellites? Penicillin? The germ theory of disease? Open heart surgery? Semiconductors? Want me to go on? Want 20 more such examples? 50 more? 100 more?

Name ONE innovation from China -- OK, I'll expand it to the last 100 years -- that's in the same league as any of these. ONE. (I don't wish to single out China -- I'll take any Asian country as an example in the same league of innovative ability, if you can provide it).

Pathetic... please just slink away...

As I said, what is far more important is how they have progressed and where they might be heading over the coming decades. The document I linked to is quite informative. Especially the section on patents

Facial recognition technology is not something people want to speak openly about but Chinese tech is currently in testing or being used around the world in both the public and private sector. HiSilicon is also developing (well it has already deployed) custom AI silicon to advance the technology even further.

Facial recognition wasn't the only thing I mentioned. I also mentioned 5G and the possible developments arising from that.
    1) “How they progressed and where they might heading”: bottom line, you cannot name a SINGLE Chinese innovation of consequence. My original question and its premise stands. 

2) “Facial recognition technology is not something that people want to talk about”: yet you somehow know? Stop this utter bullshit 

3) What about 5G? Did China develop it? Do you know the history of 5G? What ‘possible developments’? Again, utter bullshit. 

In fact, for all the IP that has been stolen, I hope you’ll have something to show for it going forward. Something original and impactful that builds on all that theft, for a change. 

Like I said before, stop embarrassing yourself. And your country. Just slink away, man, and take all your troll pals with you. 
    AppleExposedtmayLordeHawkStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 131
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    Half of their share thanks to honor smartphone . So they aren’t a competitor for Apple. Anyway they copied the deisgn of notch in front and the 3 camera from a Apple patent about the rear of their smartphone . They cheat on benchmark . G-data and kryptowire found spyware on their smartphones that send every 72 hours personal informations to a server located in China (without permission of the user). They cheat also about publicity with a photo taken with reflex and edited but reclamized to be taken with their smartphone thank to ai. Their mobile ceo is been arrested in China for corruption . This is huawei. And don’t forget that they payed to let appear articles where they be the second largest producer. Canalys, counterpoint and others report that isn’t true.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 131
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,257member
    Al_ien1 said:

I'll wait.
    I'll give you two... Fireworks, and the clock. Of course you have to go back three millennia to get those. Recently... they put a rover on the far side of the moon. I'll give them style points for that one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 131
    hexclock said:
    Al_ien1 said:

I'll wait.
    I'll give you two... Fireworks, and the clock. Of course you have to go back three millennia to get those. Recently... they put a rover on the far side of the moon. I'll give them style points for that one. 
    I think the guy is talking about technology. You know stuff that's electric.

Also past 3 decades. Seems this challenge is hard for everyone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 131
    mercel said:
    And people should stop patronizing the copycat manufacturers.  I’m looking at you Huawei, Samsung, etc.  

if the manufacturers refuse to sell needed parts, people will justifiably get them any way they can.

• Reply 72 of 131
    k2kw said:
    Trump should just impose a 25% tariff on all electronics from China.

Could you elaborate on how imposing another 25% tax on American citizens is going to irritate the Chinese government?
  • Reply 73 of 131
    clarker99 said:
    laoban00 said:
    Lol. Let me know when an iphone shoots better pics than even the cheapest Huawei. For your info the best smartphone in the world is the Huawei Mate 20 pro. 
    Dude, the iPhone camera is rated amongst the top. And the iPhone does video recording significantly better than the competition. Enjoy being surveillanced and mined for an indiscernible difference in photo quality. 
    But this topic really doesn’t matter because anyone using a cell phone to take pictures REALLY doesn’t care about the quality, no matter how strongly he doth protest.
  • Reply 74 of 131
    You mean to tell me knockoffs are stealing from Apple?

WhodaThunk?!!?!

Yeah they don't copy Apple at all. /s

P.S. Funny how they just slapped "MateBook" on their Macbook knockoff.
    I don't see anything so egregious about either of the two phones you present. I know which elements of the design you have in mind, but I don't think they are morally relevant.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 75 of 131
    mac_dog said:
    You guys just can’t seem to wrap your heads around the idea that in the asian culture, they don’t see copying something as morally wrong. Period. If they can get paid for it, even better for them. Tech companies simply need to develop a better way to screen their employees and ensure their tech isn’t being stolen. 

Can the courts do something about this? I don’t know. 
    The courts may not be able, however an American manufacturer could by figuring out how to overcome the obstacles and then resume manufacturing in America. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 131
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    laoban00 said:
    As well it should be -- they steal their technologies from the best global companies, just like the other Chinese companies. The only thing China innovates at is spyware, viruses, malware, and oppressing their own people.
    edited February 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 131
    When you run your supply chain, in China, your IP will be constantly under attack. Not sure if there’s much Apple or the US Government can do to combat or prevent this short of pulling out of China...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 131
    avon b7 said:
    mercel said:
    At this point in time it should be clear to all that a very widespread and intense slur campaign is underway by the US government against Huawei.

The US is pushing other countries hard to stop Huawei's progress in key strategic fields where the US looks to lose influence.

Mike Pence is on tour at this very moment and attacking Huawei at every step - and admitting to it publicly - but with little or nothing in tow in terms of facts.

I would say if there is anything to bite on, companies must present formal charges. 'Anonymous' claims and how they are presented should be taken lightly until the 5G roll out is well under way.

Huawei's R&D outlay has been consistently near the top of the world rankings for years now and that is part of the reality the US hawks do not want to entertain. 

The courts is very much the way to go if any of the facts want to be heard (should they truly exist).

As far as stripping down competitors' products goes, I'm sure it's standard practice and I include Apple in this group too as well.

So much bullshit here I don't know where to start. How about this little gem:

'Anonymous' claims and how they are presented should be taken lightly until the 5G roll out is well under way.

Really? So we should use Huawei gear to build out 5G BEFORE it's been thoroughly vetted? How fucking stupid are you?

Again, how fucking stupid are you? There's a huge difference between buying a product and examining how it works and trying to trick manufacturers into giving up trade secrets or convince them to build components for you using someone elses IP by pretending you had the same idea. Huawei COULDN'T figure out how to make these components after tear down, which is why they went to Apple suppliers to see if they'd give up anything to help them.

Interesting, none of charges on Huawei has been proved, we could assume all of those are lies and rumors.
    Some truth what we know is:
    1. Apple using 769 patent of Huawei and Huawei using only 98 patent from Apple, so Apple has to pays Huawei hundreds of millions dollars. Once you buy iPhone, you buy Huawei technology too.
    2. Huawei devices has been under watched and checked by US & UK government for many years but no backdoor evidence found.
    3. AT&T built a special network for US government spying all the voice & data communication.
    4. Cisco network device has been revealed many times that it has some flaws or backdoor used by US government. Since Huawei has no vulnerability which favors US government, it's hard for NSA to keep monitoring and intercepting.

• Reply 79 of 131
    avon b7 said:
    mercel said:

Mike Pence is on tour at this very moment and attacking Huawei at every step - and admitting to it publicly - but with little or nothing in tow in terms of facts.

'Anonymous' claims and how they are presented should be taken lightly until the 5G roll out is well under way.

Really? So we should use Huawei gear to build out 5G BEFORE it's been thoroughly vetted? How fucking stupid are you?

Again, how fucking stupid are you? There's a huge difference between buying a product and examining how it works and trying to trick manufacturers into giving up trade secrets or convince them to build components for you using someone elses IP by pretending you had the same idea. Huawei COULDN'T figure out how to make these components after tear down, which is why they went to Apple suppliers to see if they'd give up anything to help them.
    Forget it, Jake. He’s Chinatown. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 131
    fallenjt said:
    That’s what the Chinese do: clone! That’s why I don’t buy Chinese products. The Korean companies copy too but at least they also developed and implemented  their own tech too, not the Chinese!
    avon b7 said:
    mercel said:

Apple using 769 patent of Huawei and Huawei using only 98 patent from Apple, so Apple has to pays Huawei hundreds of millions dollars. Once you buy iPhone, you buy Huawei technology too.
    2. Huawei devices has been under watched and checked by US & UK government for many years but no backdoor evidence found.
    3. AT&T built a special network for US ericthehalfbee said:
    avon b7 said:
    mercel said:

Apple using 769 patent of Huawei and Huawei using only 98 patent from Apple, so Apple has to pays Huawei hundreds of millions dollars.
    Once you buy iPhone, you buy Huawei technology.
    Even more , Huawei develops half of 5G standards and patents , US counld build 5G network without Huawei devices, but couldn't avoid Huawei technologies, once you pay for 5G service, you pay to Huawei too.