Apple falls from first to 17th place on Fast Company's 'Most Innovative' list

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

dipdog3 said:
    Sure Apple may not be most innovative company in the world, but this “list” is total garbage. Half the companies on this list will be out of business by next year.
    The purpose of lists like this one is to stir up debate and generate ad clicks. Someone made this list based on their own opinion. There is no statistical valid way to determine which companies are innovative and which are not. 
  • Reply 22 of 30
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    sflocal said:
    And meanwhile, Apple will make more money this year than all the 16 companies above it combined.

Yeah... this ranking matters... /s
    Some are saying this ranking does not matter well in a publicly traded company it does. As a long time customer of Apple, my first Macintosh was from the first line of Power Pc models, I have to say little Apple produces these days is really that exciting in the way of hardware or software. My iMac is from 2012, still performs well and I have not been tempted to replace it with any of the models released since then. The iPhone gets new colors, the shape I swear was designed too purposely slip from your hand and the iOS is cavernous in it's levels of controls and settings. History tells us that nobody stays at the top forever, with businesses this is especially true and the only way forward is to re-invent and enter new fields. The present younger generation will determine Apple's success and Apple will need to figure out what they want or more importantly what they will need. 
  • Reply 23 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dipdog3 said:
    Sure Apple may not be most innovative company in the world, but this “list” is total garbage. Half the companies on this list will be out of business by next year.
    That's not so relevant though.  Innovation is rarely rewarded with success and sustainability.  Take this list for what is it and it's fine.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Meh.
    My reaction too, initially, but there's some information content in the fact that the ranking moved from #1 to #17... after all, an attribute such "innovativeness" is mostly perceptual.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I bet Amazon is in the top 10 for copying Siri and Homekit. LOL

lkrupp said:
    tomasulu said:
    Apple at 17 is fair. Iterative improvements shouldn’t  count for innovation. 

Tesla, Google, Amazon have to be top 5. 
    Tesla, Google, Amazon, Samsung, Microsoft, Huawei, Xiaomi do not appear on the list at all. Of the tech companies regularly discussed here as superior to Apple in innovation none of them are on the list but Apple. Are you ready to declare this list garbage now?

OK thanks for clearing that up! Looks like they include everyone.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 26 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Useless list. "Innovation" when it comes to tech companies isn't measured in weeks or months. Apple makes bets on 5, 10 year cycles. Moving 17 places in a year is laughable, and means nothing. Half the companies on that list might be out of business next year, while the other half might be "trending" on a short-term basis. And for those of you trolls taking this list to heart and shitting on Apple, keep in mind that very few of it's competitors even made the list. 

• Reply 27 of 30
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    Domino's is #19!  What did they do?  Improve the flavor of their boxes?
    Exactly what I came here to say. Using geofencing. Wow.
    baconstang
  • Reply 28 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Meh.
    My reaction too, initially, but there's some information content in the fact that the ranking moved from #1 to #17... after all, an attribute such "innovativeness" is mostly perceptual.

No, not really. For example, the difference between #1 and #17 might be the timing of the creation of the list, and how close it was to a recent Apple event. Apple might release products this fall that would make them #1 again, in the author's eyes. The list is utterly useless, especially since it's an annual timeframe and real innovation in technology can't be measured that frequently. 
  • Reply 29 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    How do you rank innovativeness? 
  • Reply 30 of 30
    dombi said:
    Apple hasn't done anything interesting in the past 10 years. What happened to the Macs in the past 10 years? What happened to the iPhones in the past 10 years? What's new with the iPads? Nothing really. Where is the specs bumped affordable Mac mini? Where is the gimmick-free (no touchbar), affordable 15" MacBook Pro? And what's happening on the software side? Anything interesting? Not really. Apple used to be a tech company. Now they are just an iPhone company. Trying to squeeze what they still can from the iPhones... We used to get excited about Apple keynotes. There was always something new, something interesting that Steve Jobs introduced. What do we get these days from Apple? Emojis. With a price hike. How original.
    This is, of course, all complete horseshit.