New Ipod with Color Monitor.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by ricRocket:

<strong>

Huh? what a ridiculous statement! Maybe it's an expensive idea, but it's hardly ridiculous. Go out and poll people - if they could afford it I bet 10-1 would buy the color over the b&w. I'd be first in line. It's easier to look at and provides additional means of identifying items on a small screen (color-coding...near to impossible w/o color). Color adds both functionality and ease-of-use.

20 years in the future, if color was dumb in pocket devices period, then we'd never have it. However, if in 20 years, we DON'T have color in pocket devices I'll buy you a beer and admit I'm wrong.

rr.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess I didn't state myself too clearly. If the function of the device is to be an mp3 player, color would be completely superfluous. You hit a button on it, put it in your pocket and go. You don't need to make the device color to do that and I don't think that it would do anything to enhance the usefulness of the iPod as the screen is incredibly readable right now. Apple didn't skimp. Sure, no bottle opener, but it's good enough.

But, movies in your pocket? What the hell for? How useful would that be? It's just ridiculous to think that a market would be large enough to support it. Even a photo album in your pocket would be stupid. Yeah, I really miss my girlfriend on the busride to work, so I just have to have a catalog of years worth of pictures with me at all times. Be more creative people.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    It's called an iPOD, not iMusic, not iHardDrive.

Its very name implies that it can serve multiple purposes, and that it WILL.

Yeah, now it's a nice MP3 player and HD. What it might also be in 4 months, who knows. But it will be more, I daresay.

J

_edit: corrected it's to its in second sentence.

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: jccbin ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 42
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    We will see an iPod with video out. The iPod is a storage and delivery device. (as opposed to an acquasition device eg. camera, that some poor saps still think Apple are going to make). Music and raw data is just two corners of the quadrangle; still photos and video are the others. Apple can compete and dominate the delivery devices; they can never compete with still and video cameras.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by 1seaside1:

<strong>In response to horned_frog, why are people against the idea of the iPod as something more than a mp3 player? It's already more than that when it acts as a firewire hard drive. If it was just meant to be a mp3 player why use 'Pod' in the name?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, in all honesty, I have never actually seen an iPod in person, but you can imagine what it is like just looking at the specs. I just do NOT see how they are going to get a bigger screen on there and face it...the screen on there now, even if it were color, would be too small to even botehr looking at video...you need AT LEAST say a 2.5" screen like those on camcorders (in terms of their size) to even make it worth while.

And where do you get that I am "against " the iPod being more than an MP3? I am not--it is just that including the features people are talking about adding to it are not practical if you want to keep it the same size. Increasing it by two or thrree millimieters for a bigger HD is one thing, but I just don't see how you and the others think that they are going to be able to get a color LCD and not to mention having to creat a version of quicktime or whatever to view these pictures.

It would be more practical t make a bigger device that can do this as well as play MP3s, and keep the current form-factor iPod for those who only want music.

As for the actual name being "Pod" I never really got where people think that becasue it is "Pod" means it will have more features in the future.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    ricainricain Posts: 23member
    [quote]Originally posted by jccbin:

<strong>It's called an iPOD, not iMusic, not iHardDrive.

Its very name implies that it can serve multiple purposes, and that it WILL.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not necessarily:

Pod =&gt; Greek for "Foot" =&gt; Walk =&gt; Walkman

iPod means iWalkman, but with a futuristic ring to it. That may not sound convincing, but I am 100% sure that's where marketing came up with the name, working backwards from something obvious and well-known (but trademarked) like "Walkman"

"Walkman" does not really imply other uses than Music.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    hamishhamish Posts: 5member
    So people can utilise MMS, which is like SMS but you can send colour picures and videos, and it would help to have a colour screen for this. There is also a little thing called WAP.

but, yeah, your right, why would you want a colour screen for that?
  • Reply 27 of 42
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    An iPod with a slightly larger, color screen..... holds high quality images...

No more sneaking your mom's Sears catalogue into the bathroom!

Hooray!
  • Reply 28 of 42
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>But, movies in your pocket? What the hell for? How useful would that be? It's just ridiculous to think that a market would be large enough to support it. Even a photo album in your pocket would be stupid. Yeah, I really miss my girlfriend on the busride to work, so I just have to have a catalog of years worth of pictures with me at all times. Be more creative people.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not commenting on whether this is a good idea or not but...

Here in Japan they are already putting color LCDs on the cell phones. The result is a display the size of a large postage stamp on a phone the size of a candy bar. It includes a built in camera so people can email each other incredibly tiny movies with glacially slow frame rates. Go figure. I don't know if they are popular but they are advertised a lot.

Regarding the display, a three or four inch display using OLED technology might be low power enough to be practical for this application. Displays of that technology and size are just about coming to market. Personally, I think it is too soon for Apple to use them, but it is technically on the bleeding edge of possibility.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Some time ago I started this topic, and received alot of bashing...just wanted to refresh it so people can see how far Apple has come in just a few years. Sorry if bumping this topic offends anyone.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MACclendon View Post

Some time ago I started this topic, and received alot of bashing...just wanted to refresh it so people can see how far Apple has come in just a few years. Sorry if bumping this topic offends anyone.

Wait. You started this thread, posted once more in '02, then waited six years to come back and have the last laugh?

You rule.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Wait. You started this thread, posted once more in '02, then waited six years to come back and have the last laugh?

You rule.

true, that is pretty bloody funny!
  • Reply 32 of 42
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MACclendon View Post

Dude.....YOU RULE! To all those closed little minds......HAAAAAAAAAAAA hahahahahaahaahahaahahhaahahahaha!!!!!!! Booyaaaaa What da hell ya gotta say now???? NOTHING!! THATS RIGHT...THOUGHT SO!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahaahaahhahahaah!!!!!!!

This is a fascinating thread now six years later. Now compare these negative comments to the similar ones on today's threads and you can see the great devices people are trying to say will never happen will in fact come soon!

Mactouch/iSlate/iPad is NOT a dream!!
  • Reply 33 of 42
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You rule.

I concur. Well-played.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Dude.....YOU RULE! To all those closed little minds......HAAAAAAAAAAAA hahahahahaahaahahaahahhaahahahaha!!!!!!! Booyaaaaa What da hell ya gotta say now???? NOTHING!! THATS RIGHT...THOUGHT SO!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahaahaahhahahaah!!!!!!!

This is a fascinating thread now six years later. Now compare these negative comments to the similar ones on today's threads and you can see the great devices people are trying to say will never happen will in fact come soon!

Mactouch/iSlate/iPad is NOT a dream!!

While people on this website have a habit of bashing ideas, there are still plenty of rumors from 2002 that haven't panned out. Just because this one got it right - a common sense idea, proposed before SJ claims to have started thinking about it - does not really mean some kind of proof for any single item's reality. We'll see. Olternaut, you might want to look through you old posts so you can get ready for a very late throwdown.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    the same people blasting this idea as "who would want something like that" are the same people who say the same things about the macbook air.. oh and they say these things while listening to music from their color screen ipod with movies on them.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pikachu Invasion View Post

Good point 1seaside1.

a true iPod should also have internet connectivity (or does the "i" really stand for "interim"?) to live up to the name.

pi

My fave. I presume you're pleased with the iPod touch?
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

While people on this website have a habit of bashing ideas, there are still plenty of rumors from 2002 that haven't panned out. Just because this one got it right - a common sense idea, proposed before SJ claims to have started thinking about it - does not really mean some kind of proof for any single item's reality. We'll see. Olternaut, you might want to look through you old posts so you can get ready for a very late throwdown.

Don't think I haven't. And don't assume I'm going to lose either. Yes, I will wallow in despair as my opponents on this forum laugh maniacally at me and gloat over their victory of Apple not developing another mobile product besides their laptops and iphones/ipod touches.

But, I think I will be the one standing on the backs of a mountain of those naysayers....sword in hand.....triumphant!

And like Conan I will be roaring battlecries of glorious victoryyyy!!!!

MACTOUCH FTW!!!!

Ok, I need to lay down now. \
  • Reply 38 of 42
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I love threads like this, especially in hindsight. Sometimes someone posts an idea that seems to make sense deep down somewhere inside you when you read it. Then come the naysayers and people who simply want to knock you down, give you a million and one reason why it can't, it won't, it shouldn't work.

Well played, sir!
  • Reply 39 of 42
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Spectacular thread. Just wow.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Spectacular thread. Just wow.

My most favorite thread in this entire forum thus far.