Half of new Apple's US hires in 2018 lacked 4-year college degrees, Cook says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    larryjw said:
    College's purpose is not job training, and it shouldn't be. On the other hand, I'm not sure colleges are meeting Jefferson's ideal but it's questionable if the lack of such education is not ultimately harmful. 

1818 August 4. "The objects of this primary eduction [university education] determine its character and limits. These objects are To give to every citizen the information he needs for the transaction of his own business; To enable him to calculate for himself, and to express and preserve his ideas, his contracts and accounts, in writing; To improve by reading, his morals and faculties; To understand his duties to his neighbors and country, and to discharge with competence the functions confided to him by either; To know his rights; to exercise with order and justice those he retains; to choose with discretion the fiduciary of those he delegates; and to notice their conduct with diligence, with candor and judgement; And, in general, to observe with intelligence and faithfulness all the social relations under which he shall be placed. To instruct the mass of our citizens in these, their rights, interests and duties, as men and citizens, being then the objects of education in the primary schools, whether privet or public, in them should be taught reading, writing and numerical arithmetic, the elements of mensuration...and the outlines of geography and history." Thomas Jefferson. 

So 20% for his own benefit, 80% to believe he’s qualified to select an official representative (from a predetermined pool of course).  Jefferson clearly articulates the intent of this foulest of social grooming mechanisms, Trump clearly demonstrates how it’s failed.  ‘Tim Apple’ demonstrates what can be achieved when the right people make the right decisions, Android demonstrates what happens when you corrupt/democratise that.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    "...about half of our U.S. employment last year were people that did not have a four-year degree. And we're very proud of that." That's not something to be proud of Tim. I'm betting most of those people are working your retail stores for minimum wage.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mp2000 said:
    i call bs ...

steve didn’t code ...

i suspect tim can’t either ...
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/4663185/apple-ceo-tim-cook-reveals-a-big-career-secret-and-tells-how-you-can-follow-in-his-footsteps/
    Yes Mr Cook can code, and yes he's being consistent with what he had to say two years ago.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 24 of 27
    tommy0gunstommy0guns Posts: 119member
    Omg. No one mentioned the Chinese kids that make the iPhones? They don’t have college degrees 
  • Reply 25 of 27
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    As someone with a Master's degree...
    and one who is typically a big advocate of education...

I don't think I'd advise the majority of people to waste the money (and time) these days. I think there are some good schools, and certain professions where you absolutely need a particular degree, but school stopped being 'liberal arts' a long time ago - which enriches the whole person - AND the costs have skyrocketed.

It just isn't worth it anymore, for building a better person, or financially.
    dysamoria said:
    Is he seriously promoting the idea of requiring EVERY student to have proficiency in programming? It’s not a basic life skill (and there are plenty of those currently lacking as required school programs, like critical thinking skills). We can’t even get people to graduate with a basic level of science comprehension, but we’re supposed to push for programming skills? What language? Oh, Apple’s choice. Sure sure. 
    I think they mostly fill people's minds with all kinds of other propaganda and crap anymore... instead of useful stuff (like logic, how to learn, critical thinking, etc.)
    And... aren't we going to have AI one of these days?  :p "Computer, make an Instagram client app for me."
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 26 of 27
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Omg. No one mentioned the Chinese kids that make the iPhones? They don’t have college degrees 
    they can only make phones that designed by someone with detail break down process sequence (or copy them from reverse engineer) for them.  DFX method allow you to use lower skill force that in the future very much could be automated (majority of it).  In addition, those chinese kids got all the help from the automated equipments that designed by most likely, someone with degree?  (or at least someone with CAD certificant? ;-).  
  • Reply 27 of 27
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    “We dont need no education” (Another brick in the wall, Pink Floyd), comes to mind.
    Some of the best code and designs I've seen was from non formally trained programmers.   
    Talent is a bitch, and cannot be replaced by education. In fact I think, talent is - unsuccessfully - emulated by education.
    Mr Cook Apple is proud on his 50 percent lower educated personnel, but does he pay as much (when equally capable)? (I would be surprised.)