AirPods retail box appears to include image of AirPower charging mat

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2020
Apple's AirPower charging mat might be on the verge of release, as an image on the company's second-generation AirPods retail box depicts a wireless charger with a design nearly identical to that of the long-delayed device.

Seen above in a photo posted to Twitter by user Chris Caine, packaging included with the just-released AirPods with Wireless Charging Case features a line drawing that appears to depict AirPower. As is sometimes the case, early adopters are receiving their orders early and have subsequently posted glory shots to social media outlets.

Like past Apple products, the box schematic serves as an instruction guide for using the device within, in this case charging AirPods on a wireless charger. The box urges users to insert AirPods into the provided Wireless Charging Case, then place the case on a wireless charger, which is connected to a power source via cable.

While the model in the image is not specified, its outline bears a striking resemblance to Apple's fabled wireless charger. From its unique oblong shape to the Lightning connector interface, the pictured device is a dead ringer for AirPower.

A separate photo of the new AirPods retail box was published by MacRumors today, suggesting the packaging is legitimate.

This is not the first time Apple has hinted at a near-future AirPower launch. When iPhone XS launched last September, a simplified instruction manual included with the phone referenced the charger by name, sparking hope of an imminent launch.

AirPower was unveiled in 2017 as an all-in-one power delivery solution for the company's portable device lineup. Initially slated to launch in 2018, the charger was reportedly delayed due to overheating issues. Just before last year's iPhone announcement, Apple scrubbed nearly all mention of AirPower from its site.

While Apple has yet to comment on AirPower availability, rumors and speculation suggest the proprietary charging solution is in production and could hit store shelves in the near future. Last week, for example, a Twitter user discovered an updated photo of the device buried in code on Apple's Australian website. That image shows AirPower with a current-generation iPhone XS and AirPods Wireless Charging Case.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    It will be out when it is out.
    edited March 2019 curtis hannahn2itivguyMetriacanthosaurusjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 13
    We know these AirPods were originally supposed to come out in 2017 when airpower came out, so I don't think anything in the release of the new AirPods necessarily means imminent or even leads to the release of airpower. If anything this past week should decrease those odds as a lot of hardware was released and Airpower wasn't part of it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    People should just get the Nomad Base Station Watch edition and call it a day.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    UPS is reporting my new AirPods should be delivered tomorrow, so I’ll see what the actual box shows.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    maccaguy said:
    UPS is reporting my new AirPods should be delivered tomorrow, so I’ll see what the actual box shows.
    I'm not sure your box will actually show anything, unless you're getting the charging case separately.  I say that because there are two boxes pictured above.  One is an AirPods box showing a picture of the headphones and not AirPower.  The other is a Wireless Charging Case box - that's what the label says.  That's the one with the AirPower info on it.  
    edited March 2019 n2itivguymwhitejbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 13
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    maccaguy said:
    I'm not sure your box will actually show anything, unless you're getting the charging case separately.  I say that because there are two boxes pictured above.  One is an AirPods box showing a picture of the headphones and not AirPower.  The other is a Wireless Charging Case box - that's what the label says.  That's the one with the AirPower info on it.  
    I get my charging case tomorrow from FedEx I'll see what it shows.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Other than that it is made by Apple and certainly looks nice, is there any reason not to buy two regular wireless charging mats? Or a stand and a mat? Guessing buying two would cost half as much and be twice as useful as Apple's one mat to charge them all.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Wasn't Air Power mentioned in the iPhone X or XS quick guide?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    Received mine and the bottom side isn’t like the photo shared. It’s just a plain AirPods 2 with its wireless case in an open state. I can snap a photo if it can be uploaded here.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    noelosnoelos Posts: 126member
    Mine doesn’t have that picture but the information label says “Works with AirPower mat and Qi-certified chargers”.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    We know these AirPods were originally supposed to come out in 2017 when airpower came out, so I don't think anything in the release of the new AirPods necessarily means imminent or even leads to the release of airpower. If anything this past week should decrease those odds as a lot of hardware was released and Airpower wasn't part of it.
    Newsflash. iOS 12.2 which shipped yesterday includes support for AirPower. It is coming.
    patchythepiratecurtis hannah
  • Reply 12 of 13

Other than that it is made by Apple and certainly looks nice, is there any reason not to buy two regular wireless charging mats? Or a stand and a mat? Guessing buying two would cost half as much and be twice as useful as Apple's one mat to charge them all.
    There are lots of reasons. Just because something can be accomplished other ways doesn't mean anything. A lot of people want AirPower exactly as it is, and the reasons are not something I have found can be comprehended or codified by people who make similar statements to yours. So I've stopped bothering.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I’d love to let everyone know what my AirPods box looks like, however UPS has once again decided my home in rural Tennessee is “too dangerous” to leave a tiny box without a signature that even Apple didn't require. I guess the one neighbor I have is far to sketchy, but as they are a family member, I’ll let them know UPS doesn’t trust them. Since last holiday shopping season, more than half of anything I’ve had delivered via UPS has has to be “redelivered” out of drivers ineptitude...

Sorry, I needed to vent...