Hands on and benchmark testing of Apple's 2019 iMac 4K

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    It’s sad to see Apple not putting SSDs or Fusion drives on these things as standard. Please those who are annoyed by this please send apple feedback & be respectful. I mean even the $800 Mac Mini now has NVMe SSD standard.
    Apple.com/feedback
    We'll be talking more about this later. Just because something isn't right for you, or for a good portion of the AppleInsider devoir, doesn't mean that it's wrong for the vast majority of the intended market. 
    I want the Apple experience to be the best. An iMac with a 5400 rpm drive isn’t the best in my opinion. We should want Apple to do better. I mean instead of the 5400 rpm drive couldn’t they have just put in a 128 GB SSD. I understand AI opinion that we are geeks. That’s why I said ‘if’ people are annoyed they should send apple feedback & be respectful.
    Different people have different needs. My parents wouldn’t give a crap about a slower spinning disk, and the added space for photos and videos of the grandkids is more important to them, not performance. 
    Your parent will give a shit when their iMac beachballs all the time because the hard drive can't keep with the rest of computer, something that shouldn't happen on a $1,299+ computer.  There's no way Apple deserves to be forgiven for having a 5400rpm drive as standard in 2019
    tokyojimumuthuk_vanalingamchemengin
  • Reply 22 of 53
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member

larz2112 said:
    It’s sad to see Apple not putting SSDs or Fusion drives on these things as standard. Please those who are annoyed by this please send apple feedback & be respectful. I mean even the $800 Mac Mini now has NVMe SSD standard.
    Apple.com/feedback
    We'll be talking more about this later. Just because something isn't right for you, or for a good portion of the AppleInsider devoir, doesn't mean that it's wrong for the vast majority of the intended market. 
    I want the Apple experience to be the best. An iMac with a 5400 rpm drive isn’t the best in my opinion. We should want Apple to do better. I mean instead of the 5400 rpm drive couldn’t they have just put in a 128 GB SSD. I understand AI opinion that we are geeks. That’s why I said ‘if’ people are annoyed they should send apple feedback & be respectful.
    Different people have different needs. My parents wouldn’t give a crap about a slower spinning disk, and the added space for photos and videos of the grandkids is more important to them, not performance. 
    I think most people appreciate the extra speed at which they can copy, move, and view their photos and videos on a faster hard drive, even if it were a 7200 rpm instead of 5400 rpm.  Let's be honest, putting a 5400 rpm spinning HD (20+ year-old technology) in a brand new 2019 computer is pretty much cheaping out the build as much as possible.  Apple is positioned as a premium brand, and putting a 5400 rpm HD in a brand new 2019 computer is what bargain basement companies do. 

And there are several options inbetween a 5400 rpm HD and a NVMe SSD that they could have used in the base configuration like a 7200 rpm HD, Fusion drive, or a SATA SSD. Yes, it would have increased the cost slightly, but I think it would better reinforce the premium brand perception, at least more so than a 5400 rpm HD.
    Only the 21.5" offers the non-Fusion spinning disk. All 27" are Fusion. If you're buying the 21.5", it's very likely due to cost constraints, and for a budget model spinning is cheapest. If you want to upgrade it, you are free to do so and can bump it up to the Fusion or an SSD:

https://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

So what are you complaining about? That there is a low-price option (spinning HD) available? Despite the fact that you can upgrade it to Fusion or SSD? Despite the fact that all 27" are Fusion? 

Jesus. Only to the perpetually unhappy are options a bad thing.
    I wasn't complaining. I was stating my opinion, just like everone else who has posted a comment.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Apple.com/feedback
    Well I don't want them to encourage a 128 GB SSD, but I do agree having the iMac now the only non SSD Apple product is odd considering its popularity. They could maybe do a 512 GB drive+64Gb ssd fusion drive for possibly the same price, as far as it goes it would be nice to see them all ssd very soon as the iMacs are otherwise the stationary MacBook Pros hardware wise (same GPUs, of course hardware CPUS vary but similar speed, have the larger respective retina screens, somewhat similar prices, but fusion drives on the iMacs).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 53
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    larz2112 said:
    Apple.com/feedback
    So you'd be happier if the lowest option they offered cost $100 more? Or you want them to lower the price of the iMac line by $100 and not offer a $999 version with a spinning disk?
    Yes , I would be happier if it cost $100 more and had a 128GB SSD 
    If you are willing to pay an $100 extra for a 128GB SSD, then just get the $200 upgrade to a 256GB SDD that is currently available. Most people wind up regretting getting a 128GB SSD as their main HD anyway because they quickly run out of room even though they thought it would be more than enough.
    They can easily put in an external drive for their storage needs
    Sure, but depending on what software you use and how much different software you use, 128GB still might be tight just accounting for System, Library, and Applications folders. And if there are multiple user accounts, 128GB can fill up pretty quickly. Yes, you can buy an external HD and move iPhone backups, iTunes libraries, iPhoto libraries, etc. etc. to an external drive, and it's at that point that many people realize they should have just bought a larger HD to begin with rather than deal with the extra hassle, which was the original point I was making.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 53
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,374member
    Apple.com/feedback
    I totally agree - for myself. If you are concerned about system performance, responsiveness, and boot time (which I am) there is no good reason to ever buy a computer with a spinning hard disk as primary storage. End of story. My opinion of Fusion is not very high either, but that's another story.

However, if you don't even know why you'd want, or much less "need" a solid state storage, and if waiting a few more seconds or minutes for things to happen is no big deal, you've saved a few bucks without even knowing it. Those few bucks might be what got you into the Apple iMac instead of settling for a Dell, HP, or Lenovo and hoping your nephew can help you work around all the joys of Windows ownership.

The 21" iMac 4K is the perfect "Welcome to Macintosh" starter computer for a wide range of people who don't want to add any claptrap to their lives but just want a computer with a beautiful screen they can plop on their desk and start using. One thing I often see and hear when an older person gets an iMac after having struggled with old towers or desktop PCs is them pointing to their iMac and saying "That's the whole computer!" The Mini has too much claptrap and geekosity for some people. If the same iMac converts were to get a Mini I guess they would say something like "Can you believe how small The Tower is?" For some reason the old people I know like to refer to their PCs as "The Tower." Maybe because it's the size of a piece of furniture or an old time phonograph/radio "console."  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 53
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    Apple.com/feedback
    Then get the iMac Pro where SSD comes standard. The bigger thing to complain about is why do the iMac's still come with only 8 GB standard on every model? They should be at least 16 on the 21" and 32 on the 27" but 8?! Come on!
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 27 of 53
    I realize I’m probably in the minority here, but I have exactly ZERO issues with a chin and screen bezels on a DESKTOP COMPUTER. At least it visually self-identifies as an iMac. Ditch the chin and the bezels and it looks identical to any one of 8 bajillion standalone LCD displays on the market. No thank you.
    dewmeshark5150watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 53
    I realize I’m probably in the minority here, but I have exactly ZERO issues with a chin and screen bezels on a DESKTOP COMPUTER. At least it visually self-identifies as an iMac. Ditch the chin and the bezels and it looks identical to any one of 8 bajillion standalone LCD displays on the market. No thank you.
    Agree 100%
    dewmethtshark5150watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    Apple.com/feedback
    So you'd be happier if the lowest option they offered cost $100 more? Or you want them to lower the price of the iMac line by $100 and not offer a $999 version with a spinning disk?
    I agree.  A 5400rpm drive will provide nothing but a poor user experience to an otherwise great computer
    Only if you're concerned with performance. AI readers often seem to forget they are not the norm, are not normals. And lots of normal people don't give a crap. They want to write papers, surf the web, and collect photos. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 53
    pentaepentae Posts: 36member
    Offering a 5400rpm drive in 2019 on a $1300 desktop computer is one thing, but making it impossible to upgrade (glued in screen) is disgusting.

They must f***ing hate us.

edited March 2019 chemengin
  • Reply 31 of 53
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Apple.com/feedback
    And then you know exactly what would happen....people would be bitching because the iMac only comes with 128GB of storage in 2019. It never ends and Apple just can't win unless they provide the world for a cheap price.
    edited March 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 53
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    tokyojimu said:
    McJobs said:
    No redesign, no deal.
    Be careful what you wish for. A new slimmer chassis might eliminate several ports.
    A redesign doesn't necessarily need to mean a slimmer computer. They can redesign the iMac without making it any thinner than it already is. Just getting rid of the chin and making it all glass in the front with zero bezels would I think do wonders for it.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 33 of 53
    macxpress said:
    Apple.com/feedback
    And then you know exactly what would happen....people would be bitching because the iMac only comes with 128GB of storage in 2019. It never ends and Apple just can't win unless they provide the world for a cheap price.
    Apple's MBA is by far its best-selling Mac computer and I've barely heard a whisper of people complaining that it only comes with 128GB SSD as standard.
    cgWerkschemengin
  • Reply 34 of 53
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    I have to agree with those here that are against using what has to be the worst possible choice for storage -- a 5400RMB 2.5" hard disk drive in what most people think is a top tier brand.

Think about it people...how much does a 128GB SSD cost today?  At the quantity Apple buys at, probably $20 or less.  How much do you think that 5400RPM dinosaur costs them?  What is the difference in price?  Not $100 like some are suggesting Apple would have to increase the retail price to cover the cost increase.

And, 5 years from now?  That 5400RPM drive will SUCK BIG TIME.  

Apple sells Macbooks w/128GB as the standard model ALL DAY LONG.  It's a crappy business model, if you ask me, to sell a product that cannot be upgraded over time, but that is the choice people make when they buy Apple.  So, either pony up ridiculous amounts of money to upgrade to 256 or 512GB, or be happy with 128GB SSD and add external storage.  

Apple should be ashamed to sell a 5400RPM non-fusion drive in a 2019 product.  Hell, they could probably eat the $20 for the 128GB needed for Fusion drive in the $1099 price tag and at least make Fusion the base model.
    edited March 2019 chemengin
  • Reply 35 of 53
    macxpress said:
    Apple.com/feedback
    macxpress said:
    tokyojimu said:
    McJobs said:
    No redesign, no deal.
    Be careful what you wish for. A new slimmer chassis might eliminate several ports.
    A redesign doesn't necessarily need to mean a slimmer computer. They can redesign the iMac without making it any thinner than it already is. Just getting rid of the chin and making it all glass in the front with zero bezels would I think do wonders for it.
    So, you're basically saying that appearance is more important to you than performance?  You'd rather have no chin / all glass front and a 5400RPM drive as the base model, than the current design with a 128GB SSD?  
    cgWerkschemengin
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Apple.com/feedback
    I agree.  A 5400rpm drive will provide nothing but a poor user experience to an otherwise great computer
    Only if you're concerned with performance. AI readers often seem to forget they are not the norm, are not normals. And lots of normal people don't give a crap. They want to write papers, surf the web, and collect photos. 
    Don't those people have iPad's?  
    cgWerkschemengin
  • Reply 37 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Apple.com/feedback
    We'll be talking more about this later. Just because something isn't right for you, or for a good portion of the AppleInsider devout, doesn't mean that it's wrong for the vast majority of the intended market. 
    Come on, I agree most of the time with you Mike but anything other than an SDD these days is ridiculous regardless of the target market.  Apple has always been about the best there is whatever the intended market is.  As an aside Fusion dives suck IMHO and were a stop gap to sell 5400 rpm dives and tiny SSDs before SSDs came down in price. They have now and if Apple goes all in the prices will continue to drop, that's how Apple has always operated.  They adopt the latest and best first and force the market in that direction.
    chemengin
  • Reply 38 of 53
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Apple.com/feedback
    We'll be talking more about this later. Just because something isn't right for you, or for a good portion of the AppleInsider devout, doesn't mean that it's wrong for the vast majority of the intended market. 
    This isn't nearly as bad as the crappy butterfly keyboards in the laptops.   And I'm sorry but Joanna Stern's article in the WSJ is one of the the best I ever rreead.  I hope everyone on Apple News+ gets to read it, but Positive DED will attack her.   Yes something has changed at Apple (even though they still make a LOT of great products-must resist AirPods).

chemengin
  • Reply 39 of 53
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

larz2112 said:
    Apple.com/feedback
    I think most people appreciate the extra speed at which they can copy, move, and view their photos and videos on a faster hard drive, even if it were a 7200 rpm instead of 5400 rpm.  Let's be honest, putting a 5400 rpm spinning HD (20+ year-old technology) in a brand new 2019 computer is pretty much cheaping out the build as much as possible.  Apple is positioned as a premium brand, and putting a 5400 rpm HD in a brand new 2019 computer is what bargain basement companies do. 

And there are several options inbetween a 5400 rpm HD and a NVMe SSD that they could have used in the base configuration like a 7200 rpm HD, Fusion drive, or a SATA SSD. Yes, it would have increased the cost slightly, but I think it would better reinforce the premium brand perception, at least more so than a 5400 rpm HD.
    Only the 21.5" offers the non-Fusion spinning disk. All 27" are Fusion. If you're buying the 21.5", it's very likely due to cost constraints, and for a budget model spinning is cheapest. If you want to upgrade it, you are free to do so and can bump it up to the Fusion or an SSD:

https://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

So what are you complaining about? That there is a low-price option (spinning HD) available? Despite the fact that you can upgrade it to Fusion or SSD? Despite the fact that all 27" are Fusion? 

Jesus. Only to the perpetually unhappy are options a bad thing.
    Maybe a new MacMini with External Monitor would be better.    
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Grandma, what big bezels you have!