Logitech launches backlit Slim Folio Pro keyboard case for 2018 iPad Pros

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2019
Logitech on Tuesday announced preorders for the Slim Folio Pro, a still-rare example of a keyboard case for Apple's latest iPad Pros.

Logitech Slim Folio Pro

The keyboard is backlit, and includes Logitech's standard row of iOS-specific shortcuts for commands like volume, Logitech said. Despite being built for Pros, it connects via Bluetooth instead of the Smart Connector -- this does however let it run without draining an iPad's battery, lasting for up to three months per charge.

Another Pro accommodation is exposed sides, letting users attach the second-generation Apple Pencil wherever they feel like. When not in use the Pencil is held in place with a magnetic latch.

Logitech Slim Folio Pro

Thought meant for typing the case can also be adjusted into a sketching position that covers the keyboard, but lays flatter against a desk or lap.

Logitech Slim Folio Pro

The Slim Folio Pro is due to ship later this month, costing $119.99 for 11-inch iPad Pros and $129.99 for 12.9-inch iPads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'm not sure that I get this:   The Logitech Slim keyboard we bought for our Gen6 iPad is good -- it's designed well, constructed well and works well.   But, it is considerably thicker and heavier than the Apple keyboards for the Pro line.   While the biggest / only technical difference is bluetooth versus a smart connector (which to me is no difference at all) the Logitech keyboard adds a ton of bulk and weight to the iPad.

I would love to hear AI's take on comparing the two.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    This looks so much better than the Logitech keyboard case for the previous generation iPad pros. I think they’ll get my money. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I'm not sure that I get this:   The Logitech Slim keyboard we bought for our Gen6 iPad is good -- it's designed well, constructed well and works well.   But, it is considerably thicker and heavier than the Apple keyboards for the Pro line.   While the biggest / only technical difference is bluetooth versus a smart connector (which to me is no difference at all) the Logitech keyboard adds a ton of bulk and weight to the iPad.

What precisely is there to "get"? It's a new product that's a variation of the "new and improved" approach. They're not going to say, "Oh, just use an older keyboard of ours, that's good enough." There might be (shock!) people who don't have one and find this new product what they want with an external keyboard and don't care for Apple's. 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    BobDCBobDC Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    No way I'd buy it with it using bluetooth, but I like everything else about it.
    MplsPredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    This case looks pretty good. When I buy my 12.9 next year it will be between Brydge and this probably.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member

Battery for the Bluetooth?

I have a Logitech keyboard for my 12” iPad Pro - it is a touch thicker than Apples, but the keys are much better - backlit and have a better feel with actual travel. Plus it has a loop to store my Apple Pencil and the row of function keys that Apple forgot on it’s keyboard. My wife has a Bluetooth keyboard for her ipad. it generally works well but she does have intermittent connectivity issues with it. The battery certainly lasts a long time, but it has a habit of dying at inopportune times and needs a mini/micro USB cable that we never have with us because everything else we own uses a lightning connector. That alone is reason enough for me to avoid Bluetooth. I don’t know why Logitech didn’t make their new keyboard compatible with the smart connector like the old one was.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MplsP said:

Battery for the Bluetooth?

I have a Logitech keyboard for my 12” iPad Pro - it is a touch thicker than Apples, but the keys are much better - backlit and have a better feel with actual travel. Plus it has a loop to store my Apple Pencil and the row of function keys that Apple forgot on it’s keyboard. My wife has a Bluetooth keyboard for her ipad. it generally works well but she does have intermittent connectivity issues with it. The battery certainly lasts a long time, but it has a habit of dying at inopportune times and needs a mini/micro USB cable that we never have with us because everything else we own uses a lightning connector. That alone is reason enough for me to avoid Bluetooth. I don’t know why Logitech didn’t make their new keyboard compatible with the smart connector like the old one was.
    I guess it’s because of the manipulation that’s required to have it used as a sketch pad. The Smart Connector loses the ability to physically connect. I used a Logi smart folio on my 10.5 2Gand it was great ... a little heavy, but great to use. I’m going for a Brydge for this iPad - 12.9 3G. No Smart Connection either but what the hell, it looks the go!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

What precisely is there to "get"? It's a new product that's a variation of the "new and improved" approach. They're not going to say, "Oh, just use an older keyboard of ours, that's good enough." There might be (shock!) people who don't have one and find this new product what they want with an external keyboard and don't care for Apple's. 
    The question raised was:  "Is this an improvement over the default -- the Apple keyboard?".  And, if it isn't, then why bother?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member

The question raised was:  "Is this an improvement over the default -- the Apple keyboard?".  And, if it isn't, then why bother?
    I haven't seen/used the new apple keyboards, but the old ones had a poor feel to them, no backlighting and no function keys. The new ones look the same on the website, so I'm guessing they're essentially the same. If that's the case then I would definitely consider the Logitech keyboard to be a step up from the Apple keyboard. The increased weight and thickness are a definite drawback, though.

I looked at the Brydge keyboards when I got mine, and they look nice, but they essentially turn your iPad into a laptop, for close to the same price, minus the trackpad and full functionally of OS X, and make it difficult to use in straight tablet mode, so they seemed kind of pointless to me.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    For me, the magnetic attaching mechanism and Smart Connector of the Apple folio keyboard provide enough benefits to overcome their shortcomings of not having a backlight or function keys. I've never had a bluetooth keyboard for any of my iPads that hasn't given me just enough connection establishment/maintenance hassles to make working with it feel... ugh. 

If anyone ever makes a folio that combines backlighting and function keys with magnetic attachment and Smart Connector, I'd buy one in a second. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I have 2 Logitech mouses and 2 Logitech keyboards. All Bluetooth (the mouses also support a proprietary connector that works like a charm). Had issues with one mouse on my MacBook: changed at no charge.
    I had issues with BT with an Apple KB from around 2008, but now BT works very well for keyboards and mouses.
    On keyboards: current Apple keyboards are usually not very good for typing and I’ll suggest an autonomous keyboard for an iPad to whatever thing you can use also as a cover (that are bulky & uncomfortable).