Apple Music eclipses Spotify in paid US subscribers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    jmey267 said:
    But wallstreet says Apple's music service is a bust compared to spotify, who needs facts anymore.
    Wall Street just said they surpassed Spotify. The sources for the WSJ were analysts. There’s no conspiracy against Apple. 
    muthuk_vanalingamanantksundaram
  • Reply 22 of 41
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    badmonk said:
    I wonder when people will realize that Apple’s Beat acquisition was perhaps the best multibillion tech acquisition ever—a profitable hardware company plus the seeds of a great service.

As a vinyl (and CD) collector, Apple Music plus HomePod in the kitchen has been a great investment .  I still buy vinyl but AM allows me to screen many new artists and make smarter purchase decisions.  And it puts out so much sound in a large space and Siri is good enough for me to set timers and control the mood with music and lights while my hands are messy.

Still love my turntable and stereo but most of my music listening is in this space and with the AirPods of course...again they sound much better than they should.

Vinyl eh?  You must be a wow and flutter fan.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Power of defaults is strong.
    iOS doesn’t default to billing you for a music streaming service.
    randominternetpersonmatrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 41
    HEELBRANDHEELBRAND Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Both services are great! I use and prefer Apple Music! 42 here! I still buy cd’s but i also have a paying subscription to Apple Music as well!😀👍
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 41
    HenryDJPHenryDJP Posts: 77member
    genovelle said:
    HenryDJP said:
    tylersdad said:
    Do these paid subscribers include people like me who get Apple Music for free through Verizon?
    I would say perhaps not. Firstly not everyone has Verizon  and not everyone has an unlimited data plan which is required to get the Apple Music promo that only last 6 months anyway. 
    Not anymore. They’ve extended it indefinitely as long as your plan is active.  
    They are still promoting it as a 6 month freebee. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 41
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    matrix077 said:
    If Apple doesn't have a way to "link" to a News+ story they are missing a great way to promote their service.
    Share sheet, Copy. Very easy. 

People with News installed will go to News. People who don’t have will go to WSJ website. 
    If it was easy I would probably understand what you are talking about, but I don't. So I googled "share sheet" and found out it's an extension for iOS, whatever that means. But I'm not using iOS when I read AppleInsider so your point, whatever it is, seems irrelevant. And wrong... because AI often has links to external websites for news stories inside their articles. Are you proposing (when you say "People who don’t have will go to WSJ website") that the links should remain as links to websites, and that people who want to see the article on News+ have to copy/paste the title of the article into News+ to find it? Copy/paste is so 20th century, and that's what you want people to do.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    tylersdad said:
    Do these paid subscribers include people like me who get Apple Music for free through Verizon?
    It's still being paid for..no?  Like "Netflix on Us".. from TMobile.. They have a cheaper $10.00 a month rate worked out, but Netflix is still paid every month for my service that I have subscribed for.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 41
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Latko said:

Relative to the number of preinstalls, this accomplishment is incredibly poor.
    I totally agree. With nearly 600 million active iTunes accounts, this is not a home run.
    Are those active iTunes accounts all in the US?

Why the negative spin?
    edited April 2019 pscooter63cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Anything can be spun in a positive light.  It's the beauty of marketing and selective narration.

Living in NYC, I don't know any in my social circle that use Apple Music.  They all use Spotify.  YMMV
    chemengin
  • Reply 30 of 41
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Anything can be spun in a positive light.  It's the beauty of marketing and selective narration.

Living in NYC, I don't know any in my social circle that use Apple Music.  They all use Spotify.  YMMV
    Clearly then, if all your friends use Spotify, this report must be wrong.
    randominternetpersonJWSCmatrix077lostkiwidirecthackercornchiptmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 41
    jcs2305 said:
    Latko said:

I totally agree. With nearly 600 million active iTunes accounts, this is not a home run.
    Are those active iTunes accounts all in the US?

Why the negative spin?
    Um.. the only one spinning is you. The article says that: (1) Apple has 28 million US subscribers, compared to Spotify’s 26 million; (2) Apple’s global numbers are somewhere “north of” 50 million, since subscriptions start automatically after three months of free. Data from here supports the “north of 50” estimate: https://www.statista.com/statistics/604959/number-of-apple-music-subscribers/

I simply compared a global iTunes number to a global (approximate estimate) Apple Music subscriber number. Apples to apples comparison.

What’s the problem?!
    edited April 2019 muthuk_vanalingamchemengin
  • Reply 32 of 41
    matrix077 said:
    If Apple doesn't have a way to "link" to a News+ story they are missing a great way to promote their service.

People with News installed will go to News. People who don’t have will go to WSJ website. 
    If it was easy I would probably understand what you are talking about, but I don't. So I googled "share sheet" and found out it's an extension for iOS, whatever that means. But I'm not using iOS when I read AppleInsider so your point, whatever it is, seems irrelevant. And wrong... because AI often has links to external websites for news stories inside their articles. Are you proposing (when you say "People who don’t have will go to WSJ website") that the links should remain as links to websites, and that people who want to see the article on News+ have to copy/paste the title of the article into News+ to find it? Copy/paste is so 20th century, and that's what you want people to do.
    I think his point was that, yes it would be fairly easy for AI to generate the URLs to include in the articles, as you suggested.
    matrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 41
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    HEELBRAND said:
    Both services are great! I use and prefer Apple Music! 42 here! I still buy cd’s but i also have a paying subscription to Apple Music as well!ߘట፦lt;/b>
    You know what I do.. I’m a bit ashamed to admit it. I still go to my favorite CD shop regularly, not to buy CD but to browse catalogue and when I find interesting discs I just search for it in Apple Music and add to my library. :)
    edited April 2019 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 41
    matrix077 said:

No, I’m saying it’s easy to use Apple News+ link because everyone know where sharing button is on iOS. You hit that button and hit copy. Very easy but I doubt AppleInsider get the link from Apple News. They just get it from other Apple news sites and doesn’t bother to search for it on News+ to help non WSJ subscribers.  
    edited April 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 41

So your circle all use Spotify and Apple Music that launched way behind Spotify coming in front is not a positive news for Apple? How is that making any sense. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 41
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member

Legitimate follow up; what % in your social circle using Spotify are using Spotify paid/premium tier? In mine, only one I can think of at the moment (but that’s actually Spotify business for their office space).
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 41
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    Keep in mind, these are made up numbers.  Not released by either company,  "analysts" are speculating based on unidentified "sources."  Just like with the BI article about spy chips, the upcoming "in production" Airpower, etc., etc., I have to laugh when people react as though these are precise numbers.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 41
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    Latko said:

So, so desperate to troll on Apple.  LOL. Let's look at your claim that Apple Music is doing incredibly poor.  

Apple zoomed to number 2 in the entire world, at a faster growth rate than Spotify, has millions more songs, is available in more countries and now has probably 60 MILLION or more PAID users in a short period of time.  All the while paying artists much more than Spotify!   Spotify has hemorrhaged money and only long term hope of survival is to get someone to buy them out.

That's called WINNING !  
    edited April 2019 lostkiwicornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 41
    I am sorry but when it comes to Apple Music, I feel very disappointed. Spotify is King and the personal lists they create each day are fabulous. I prefer classical music, jazz and opera. I am not sure Apple can grasp my needs. Every time I have suscribed, I have said I DO NOT want pop music, they keep assembling lists with pop music. No, Spotify is my choice and that of many, many others too, it seems. Apart from music though, Apple is super!
    chemengin
  • Reply 40 of 41
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    HenryDJP said:
    genovelle said:
    HenryDJP said:
    tylersdad said:
    I would say perhaps not. Firstly not everyone has Verizon  and not everyone has an unlimited data plan which is required to get the Apple Music promo that only last 6 months anyway. 
    Not anymore. They’ve extended it indefinitely as long as your plan is active.  
    They are still promoting it as a 6 month freebee. 
    They are promoting the unlimited plans that include Apple Music for free now.