Disney+ streaming service debuts on Nov. 12 for $6.99 a month

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    mac_128 said:
    designr said:
    So while Netflix probably yawned at the Apple TV+ announcement, Disney+ certainly worries them.

Additionally, this puts a boundary price on Apple TV+.

I'm still curious about Hulu's future. Doesn't Disney own 51% of Hulu through its 20th Century Fox acquisition (I think it owned some % before and that % increased with the acquisition)?

Apple should buy Disney.

Netflix only worry is Disney has been pulling its content off their service for this. It might take a dent, but Netflix isnt likely going to take a major loss by this.

Apple TV+ will haft to be between $7 and $13 to be practical, that was already known, thought it might influence Apple to drop the target price a $1, though I doubt that since Netflix continues to raise its prices.

Hulu might be losing some of its content as well to the Disney service, but as long as its relatively popular I don't think it is in any real danger.

Apple should most certainly not buy Disney. Disney buying a bunch of companies and covers a series of things from theme parks, toys, tv channels, movie franchises, etc. Not a single thing to do with computers which is what Apple deals with, beyond the fact it would be the biggest buyout in history and Apple shouldn't be doing that at this state.
    It’s not just Disney that pulling content from Netflix. So is ATT, and Comcast. Between them, that’s Disney, Fox, Warner Bros., and Universal. And to a lesser extent CBS. So that’s pretty much everything anybody wants to watch. All that’s left is Sony and Paramount, and they aren’t exactly driving the box office or TV these days. Netflix will have very little to offer aside from its own original programming, which isn’t much when it all boils down to what’s really worth watching for most subscribers. And Disney will likely end up owning 70% of Hulu, and Comcast might give up their 30% to them before it’s all over. Hulu is going nowhere.

Unfortunately Netflix is going to be in a world of hurt trying to retain subscribers as early as next year. They are tens of billions of dollars in debt, and it’s only going to get worse as they throw money at the problem. The only thing keeping them afloat now is their declining DVD rental business, and their subscriber base — which will also start declining as soon as they start losing third party content. And then they’ll be left with nothing but debt and the occasional hit program.

Meanwhile, Apple has enough money in the bank to produce top quality programs, like Netflix, and offer it as an added value for customers, along with a TV bundling service with an interface that likely will surpass anything else offered on the market. Apple has a bright future. Netflix should be very worried.
    That's why Netflix has focused on original content. Like HBO, that will be the way they keep subscribers.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    CarmboCarmbo Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    It’s going to be less about offering enough content to justify a higher price and more about pricing what you offer attractively. Apple+ at around $4.99 a month would flourish and Apple can still make enough money to do quite well with only $1 billion worth of original programming. At $48 per customer, you reach $1 billion at around 21 million subscribers. Apple would easily surpass that number offering its $1 billion in programming for the $4.99 fee.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    designr said:
    So while Netflix probably yawned at the Apple TV+ announcement, Disney+ certainly worries them.

I'm still curious about Hulu's future. Doesn't Disney own 51% of Hulu through its 20th Century Fox acquisition (I think it owned some % before and that % increased with the acquisition)?

Apple should buy Disney.

Disney currently owns 60%, Comcast owns 30% and AT&T owns 10%.  Disney+ at $7/m or $70/y is a pretty good deal.  Since Disney doesn't have to pay any licensing fees for content that puts them one step ahead of everyone else on their overhead.  

No one wants Apple to buy [insert company name here].   Especially not Disney.  Math doesn't support that idea being good at all.
    Apple doesn't want to buy Disney, for one, it would use up almost all of their cash on hand.  For another they don't want to run theme parks and cruise lines.  
  • Reply 24 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    designr said:

Apple should buy Disney.

Disney currently owns 60%, Comcast owns 30% and AT&T owns 10%.  Disney+ at $7/m or $70/y is a pretty good deal.  Since Disney doesn't have to pay any licensing fees for content that puts them one step ahead of everyone else on their overhead.  

No one wants Apple to buy [insert company name here].   Especially not Disney.  Math doesn't support that idea being good at all.
    Apple doesn't want to buy Disney, for one, it would use up almost all of their cash on hand.  For another they don't want to run theme parks and cruise lines.  
    Disney likely made themselves a far less attractive buy when they spent $70B for Fox.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    It’s not just Disney that pulling content from Netflix. So is ATT, and Comcast. Between them, that’s Disney, Fox, Warner Bros., and Universal. And to a lesser extent CBS. So that’s pretty much everything anybody wants to watch. All that’s left is Sony and Paramount, and they aren’t exactly driving the box office or TV these days. Netflix will have very little to offer aside from its own original programming, which isn’t much when it all boils down to what’s really worth watching for most subscribers. And Disney will likely end up owning 70% of Hulu, and Comcast might give up their 30% to them before it’s all over. Hulu is going nowhere.

Unfortunately Netflix is going to be in a world of hurt trying to retain subscribers as early as next year. They are tens of billions of dollars in debt, and it’s only going to get worse as they throw money at the problem. The only thing keeping them afloat now is their declining DVD rental business, and their subscriber base — which will also start declining as soon as they start losing third party content. And then they’ll be left with nothing but debt and the occasional hit program.

Meanwhile, Apple has enough money in the bank to produce top quality programs, like Netflix, and offer it as an added value for customers, along with a TV bundling service with an interface that likely will surpass anything else offered on the market. Apple has a bright future. Netflix should be very worried.
    Well that is true that almost everybody is pulling out of Netflix and it will be limited to exclusives at this rate, but that is sort of the caveat that all these services are having. Disney has the advent of nearly 100 years of movies to put in the catalog, but then again I much rather watch Netflix originals over what Apple and Disney have announced so far, so it will begin the battle of who has the more entertaining TV shows.

This raises the point, who here is subscribed to the most non TV services so far?
    Between all the services, what are people really willing to pay for by the end of this year its going to be more convoluted than cable. I can't imagine this not backfiring in a few years when people can't afford to subscribe to 10 separate services and just do 2 or 3 at most. (Apple TV+, CBS All Access, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney +, HBO Now, Showtime, Stars, Netflix, Youtube TV, ESPN+) are all already options moving forward, beyond a normal cable subscription which a majority of people still consider going for.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    designr said:

Apple should buy Disney.

Disney likely made themselves a far less attractive buy when they spent $70B for Fox.
    I don't think they were an attractive buy for a company like Apple regardless of the Fox acquisition.  Disney is far too cash intensive, and more importantly, far too expensive an acquisition for Apple.  Disney has a crap ton of assets that make no sense in a tech company's portfolio.  Just my opinion, but most of the companies that people suggest "Apple should just buy" almost inevitably end up being companies Apple definitely shouldn't buy.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 27 of 29
    mac_128 said:
    designr said:

Apple should buy Disney.

Netflix only worry is Disney has been pulling its content off their service for this. It might take a dent, but Netflix isnt likely going to take a major loss by this.

Apple TV+ will haft to be between $7 and $13 to be practical, that was already known, thought it might influence Apple to drop the target price a $1, though I doubt that since Netflix continues to raise its prices.

Hulu might be losing some of its content as well to the Disney service, but as long as its relatively popular I don't think it is in any real danger.

Apple should most certainly not buy Disney. Disney buying a bunch of companies and covers a series of things from theme parks, toys, tv channels, movie franchises, etc. Not a single thing to do with computers which is what Apple deals with, beyond the fact it would be the biggest buyout in history and Apple shouldn't be doing that at this state.

Apple so far has been unwilling to really invest in video streaming.  They invested 1 billion dollars.  Netflix invested 13 billion dollars last year.  Apple is expecting to win on name brand alone.  
  • Reply 28 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    designr said:

Apple should buy Disney.

I don't think they were an attractive buy for a company like Apple regardless of the Fox acquisition.  Disney is far too cash intensive, and more importantly, far too expensive an acquisition for Apple.  Disney has a crap ton of assets that make no sense in a tech company's portfolio.  Just my opinion, but most of the companies that people suggest "Apple should just buy" almost inevitably end up being companies Apple definitely shouldn't buy.
    That sounds reasonable -- until you factor in that Apple is in the process of trying to duplicate what Disney has already done as they branch out into media and entertainment services.  

Apple and Disney have had a close relationship ever since Disney picked up Pixar from Steve.