Review: Apple's new iPad mini still nails its niche market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    saniatsaniat Posts: 10member
    The lack of Face ID is precisely why I am buying the iPad Mini 5.  I do NOT want my face and eyes constantly laser scanned.

I still hope Touch ID will be restored to a future iPhone model.  If not, I'll consider non Apple choices.  I have had an iPhone since 2008, with upgrades to the 8 Plus.   Face ID is a deal breaker.  Restore convenient Touch ID!
  • Reply 22 of 26
    evn616evn616 Posts: 28member

evn616 said:
    Apple missed the opportunity here to really bring something fresh with the mini. If they had gone with iPad Pro design elements (small bezels, pencil 2, 4k recording, face id) I would have been all over that. I just have this nagging feeling that a “Pro” type device with an 8” screen would be a winner, especially under $700. I realize this would have been a complete redesign, which probably looked less than ideal vs just updating internals.
    And more expensive. Have you not noticed all the whining recently about Apple products that do more costing more?
    Not my problem sir/madam. There are plenty of Androids out there for people who cannot afford one option. I’m selfish. I purely thinking of myself for such a device. I don’t think about what Joe Blowhard down the street needs or wants. Sorry to disappoint.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 23 of 26
    dpkrohdpkroh Posts: 37member
    wizard69 said:
    Where the larger iPads can do work, the mini is truly an expensive toy...
    Not really.    I’m seriously thinking about getting one for my truck.  It would be a better GPS solution than a tiny iPhone but not so big that it would be in the way like the larger iPads.  I need to put more thought into this but the iPad Min just might be the ideal travel tablet.  
    I have had the same idea. In my experience not necessarily worth it, unless you want to have 2 apps open at once like maps and music. Primary issue is having another device to take everywhere.  Don’t want to leave it in the car due to concerns about theft.  I’m happy with my iPhone XS Max for in car use.  

Note that if you want to use the mini as a GPS you need to get the cellular version, as the wi-fi only version does not have a GPS chip.  The wi-fi only version of the mini can approximate your location by scanning local wifi networks, but this is not adequate for active use while driving.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    dpkrohdpkroh Posts: 37member
    saniat said:
    The lack of Face ID is precisely why I am buying the iPad Mini 5.  I do NOT want my face and eyes constantly laser scanned.

I still hope Touch ID will be restored to a future iPhone model.  If not, I'll consider non Apple choices.  I have had an iPhone since 2008, with upgrades to the 8 Plus.   Face ID is a deal breaker.  Restore convenient Touch ID!
    I agree that FaceID is more pain than gain on the iPhone which is always handheld. Conversely, I greatly prefer faceid over Touch ID  on the iPad. On the iPad Pro since it always facing me, no need to reach for Touch ID.  On the iPhone typically held with one hand, a slight thumb movement can activate Touch ID regardless of the position of the iPhone.  With Face ID it is necessary to first position the display to point at my face.  It’s more irritating to use Face ID for Apple Pay.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    The “5” was a godsend in the oft-cramped quarters of the aviation business. Our prayers have been answered by the Apple-gods.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Where the larger iPads can do work, the mini is truly an expensive toy...
    I don't understand why do you say this. The iPad mini can certainly do work and on top of this, it is much better than the bigger iPads as a travel companion. In fact, there is no tablet better than the cellular mini in that department (travel). Paired with a good portable keyboard (I have Keys-to-Go from Logitech) it can be very useful in may situations.

I lately had mine (a mini 4) in a meeting and it was so convenient. Taking notes, recording discussions, capturing presentation slides, receiving and answering e-mails (personal and professional through different applications), taking some photos, using its GPS to find the way, record pathways, seeing the weather conditions and forecasts, loading train tickets, finding very quickly trains including platform to save time (based on cellular data on the road). The colleague who was seating next to me wanted in the end to abandon his laptop in favor of an iPad mini. Much-much less weight and volume for the same work but much more service during meetings and travel. It does not look like a toy at all to my eyes.

So, I bought these days a mini 5. Very happy with this little machine, much like as my mini 4 in appearance but the A12 really shows its muscles.