Review: Brydge Pro Keyboard for iPad Pro beats Apple's offering in nearly every way

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,291member
    jdb8167 said:
    If it used the smart connector then it would be a no brainer. But needing a rechargeable battery makes it worse than Apple’s Smart Keyboard. The Apple keyboard feel is fine and at least for me, very comfortable. 

I dont know if Apple licenses the smart connector but if they do, Brydge should look into using it even if it ups the price a bit. I don’t think iPad Pro users are particularly price sensitive. 
    I vaguely recall Logitech offering a keyboard that used the Smart Connector with the 9.7" Pro a few years ago. I could be wrong or they may no have offered for the new sizes.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,937member
    charlesn said:
    Given that the purchase of an iPad is often driven by considerations for minimizing size and weight, why pretend that weight doesn't matter by failing to mention it in a review like this, especially one where you award the product 4.5 stars? As it turns out, the Bryce 12" keyboard tips the scales at 1.5 POUNDS, which is more than the weight of the 2018 iPad 12.9" itself. In fact, the Bryce and iPad together are very close to the weight of the 2018 MacBook Pro 13" w/Touchbar. 
    It’s spelled BRYDGE! Come on it’s easy you can do it B..R..Y..D..G..E!
    You've obviously never used autocorrect. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 44
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,937member
    mike1 said:
    jdb8167 said:
    If it used the smart connector then it would be a no brainer. But needing a rechargeable battery makes it worse than Apple’s Smart Keyboard. The Apple keyboard feel is fine and at least for me, very comfortable. 

I dont know if Apple licenses the smart connector but if they do, Brydge should look into using it even if it ups the price a bit. I don’t think iPad Pro users are particularly price sensitive. 
    I vaguely recall Logitech offering a keyboard that used the Smart Connector with the 9.7" Pro a few years ago. I could be wrong or they may no have offered for the new sizes.
    I have a Logitech keyboard for my 12" iPad Pro and it's been awesome. It has a holder for the pencil, easily detaches when I don't need it, has an outstanding backlit keyboard and includes function keys. The only downside is it's slightly thicker than the Apple [not so] Smart Keyboard, but that's a trivial complaint compared to the jump in quality.

I totally agree with the above comments on using the smart connector. You never have to worry about charging the keyboard, it pairs instantly and just works. You also don't have another Li battery to worry about recycling. My wife has a BT keyboard for her iPad and intermittently has connectivity issues with it. It doesn't need to be charged often, but invariably needs to be charged at an inopportune time. The only advantage of a BT keyboard is that it can (possibly) be used in the portrait configuration, if the folio design allows for that. I can't for the life of me understand why Apple moved the connector to the short end of the iPad vs the long end. IME it's rare to want/need to use it in the portrait configuration.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Dave KapDave Kap Posts: 60member
    It beats in almost every way... except weight, bulk, battery?
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 25 of 44
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 626member
    The worries about battery charging are nonsense. It's a once a year event according to them and even if it is every 3 months who cares. 

My question is I see the tabs in the corners of the iPad. What keeps them from putting pressure (possibly screen cracking pressure) when it is opened and closed?
  • Reply 26 of 44
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Dave Kap said:
    It beats in almost every way... except weight, bulk, battery?
    It beats in almost every way... except when it matters.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    How can something feel “way better”, but “only by a little bit”. Doesn’t one preclude the other?

as I said with the last keyboard review, I recommend people wait until the WWDC—just in case Apple surprises us with touchpad compatibility. So many changes are being talked about that this, even if it’s not likely, would make a major difference. It’s less than a month away.
    edited May 2019 pscooter63macwill
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Zagg keyboard typing experience is “way better, but only by a little bit...”

🤪😂🤪😂
    macwill
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Seems it should be noted that the Brydge provides very little real protection.  I sure wish Zagg would come out with a Folio designed for the 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch.  Their Folios for standard iPads have been top-notch — quality keyboard, reasonable weight, and PROTECTION.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 30 of 44
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    charlesn said:
    Given that the purchase of an iPad is often driven by considerations for minimizing size and weight, why pretend that weight doesn't matter by failing to mention it in a review like this, especially one where you award the product 4.5 stars? As it turns out, the Bryce 12" keyboard tips the scales at 1.5 POUNDS, which is more than the weight of the 2018 iPad 12.9" itself. In fact, the Bryce and iPad together are very close to the weight of the 2018 MacBook Pro 13" w/Touchbar. 
    I'm just speculating but have you heard of this sometimes annoying feature called auto-correct?
  • Reply 31 of 44
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member

lkrupp said:
    Add mouse support to iOS and you might as well buy a MacBook and be done with it. The mentality of trying to force the iPad into a laptop configuration is just anathema to me. Just buy a damn laptop for the same or lower price.
    I don't completely disagree but you would still not have a multi-touch interface or the iOS environment (specifically I use forScore on the iPadPro for reading sheet music in orchestra and playing chamber music). Also if you pull off your MacBook screen (not advised) it does not function as an extremely nifty iPad.
    stompy
  • Reply 32 of 44
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,316member
    No diss intended to Brydge, who make quality stuff, but the keys being sub-full-size is -- as with most keyboard covers -- a dealbreaker for me.

Instead, I decided to back this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sajidcreative/worlds-most-versatile-ipad-keyboard-case-touchtype?ref=thanks-copy

No, I won't get it anytime soon, but my trusty Logitech K480 will tide me over until that gets here.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,268member
    charlesn said:

@charlesn actually makes a good point about the product we are discussing. Your only contribution is functioning as Grammar Police? Is that really what you wanted your first post to be about?

edited May 2019
  • Reply 34 of 44
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,316member
    jbdragon said:
    I kind of like it having it's own battery and not wasting the iPad battery.
    I don't care much whether a keyboard is BT or Smart Connector, but the latter does not "waste" the iPad battery. The amount of battery a keyboard uses to communicate via BT LE and pass keystrokes to the machine is so miniscule that you could type on it all day and it wouldn't be responsible for more than one percent of your battery life. A set of two AAA batteries in a BT keyboard will last six months or more before needing to be changed/recharged, and the Smart Connector uses even less power than that!
  • Reply 35 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    chasm said:
    No diss intended to Brydge, who make quality stuff, but the keys being sub-full-size is -- as with most keyboard covers -- a dealbreaker for me.

Instead, I decided to back this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sajidcreative/worlds-most-versatile-ipad-keyboard-case-touchtype?ref=thanks-copy

No, I won't get it anytime soon, but my trusty Logitech K480 will tide me over until that gets here.
    Good luck. I’ve backed five Kickstarter projects, and two never made it. One that did has since gone out of business, along with the updates needed to have the device work with newer phones and iOS updates. So, I’ve lost money on three out of five. Not a good ratio.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member
    narwhal said:
    I agree with the reviewer. Having had one of Apple's floppy keyboards attached to my iPad Pro for years, then moving to a Brydge keyboard, the Brydge is SO much better for people who need to type on their iPads. The main problems with Apple's floppy keyboards are they keep falling off, they don't provide enough protection for the iPad, and they're very difficult to type on. Brydge's keyboards main issues are they add bulk, they occasionally need to be charged, and you might have to type a key or two before the iPad realizes you have an attached keyboard. I would also recommend Brydge purchasers buy the iPad back cover that matches up with the keyboard (to protect both sides of the iPad).
    Since this BRYDGE is for the 2018 Pro, and it’s obvious that isn’t what you have, I’ll clarify some points when comparing the “floppy” Apple keyboard you had, to the 2018 version.

It doesn’t easily fall off. 

It’s not the most sturdy, but not what I would call “floppy” by any means. No more awkward folding to use it. 

It covers the rear of the iPad. 

Typing on it (at least for the 12.9” version) is better than the 12” MacBook this setup replaces for me. 

When it’s pulled from either of the 2 magnetic slots (2 viewing angles), the keyboard turns off. If you flip it around, to use just as a tablet, no odd keyboard input when holding it by the keys. That can’t be said for ANY of the Bluetooth keyboards that I’m aware of. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 37 of 44
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    So the magnetic connection is only on one side of the 11" iPad Pro. As it slipped out of my hand, the Apple keyboard departed the iPad which landed glass down on concrete. Until the screen is replaced, one barely touches the screen to keep from being cut by the glass. Ordered the Zagg slim pro as it encloses the iPad. I have been awaiting the "blue filter" screen guard from Zagg for months. If that had been installed the screen might have survived. This is the first glass I have broken on a "i" device since they came out so many years ago.

I think the Apple keyboard is "cute" but is troublesome to use and get the bottom edge of the iPad into one of the two grooves without disconnecting at the top magnetic strip.

Also ordered the other green protector from Zagg as something is better than nothing.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    Brydge has their own screen guard. You mustn't use as Zagg's or others as they are too thick for the Brydge to close properly. That is from a tech support call where I asked that question. The Zagg product does work with the Zagg screen guard (or others).
  • Reply 39 of 44
    macwillmacwill Posts: 5member
    "We think that the Zagg Slim Book Go feels way better in terms of overall feel, but only by a little bit." This sentence contradicts itself. "Way better" implies a substantial amount, since "way" acts as an intensifier. By definition, it can't be "only by a little bit" So does that mean that it is indeed "way better" or is it "only a little bit better"?
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 40 of 44
    narwhalnarwhal Posts: 120member
    narwhal said:
    I agree with the reviewer. Having had one of Apple's floppy keyboards attached to my iPad Pro for years, then moving to a Brydge keyboard, the Brydge is SO much better for people who need to type on their iPads. The main problems with Apple's floppy keyboards are they keep falling off, they don't provide enough protection for the iPad, and they're very difficult to type on. Brydge's keyboards main issues are they add bulk, they occasionally need to be charged, and you might have to type a key or two before the iPad realizes you have an attached keyboard. I would also recommend Brydge purchasers buy the iPad back cover that matches up with the keyboard (to protect both sides of the iPad).
    Since this BRYDGE is for the 2018 Pro, and it’s obvious that isn’t what you have, I’ll clarify some points when comparing the “floppy” Apple keyboard you had, to the 2018 version.

It doesn’t easily fall off. 

It’s not the most sturdy, but not what I would call “floppy” by any means. No more awkward folding to use it. 

It covers the rear of the iPad. 

Typing on it (at least for the 12.9” version) is better than the 12” MacBook this setup replaces for me. 

When it’s pulled from either of the 2 magnetic slots (2 viewing angles), the keyboard turns off. If you flip it around, to use just as a tablet, no odd keyboard input when holding it by the keys. That can’t be said for ANY of the Bluetooth keyboards that I’m aware of. 
    You're right, I had the 2015 12.9 iPad with Apple's type cover. As for the floppiness, the older model worked okay on a table, but was impossible to type on in my lap because of the floppiness and bad iPad angle. The older model also would detach from the iPad if held by the keyboard. And after 2+ years of use, the edges of the type cover are seriously frayed. For me, the Brydge for 2015 iPad 12.9 was a huge improvement over the 2015 iPad 12.9 type cover. It's good that Apple has improved the new type covers. I wish they sold something more akin to Brydge or Logitech's keyboard covers and cases too.