Apple to add green and lavender to next-gen iPhone XR color palette, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    lmac said:
    Color me indifferent. I use a case.
    Same here.  Many times, I've seen someone carrying an iPhone without a case and I think, "wow, that iPhone looks really nice" and then I realize that it's the exact model and color that I already have.   

This is why I think Apple's obsession with thinness, color and edge design of the phone is ridiculous.  The phones aren't robust enough to carry without a case and with a case  you don't see any of that stuff anyway.  

• Reply 22 of 29
    grifmxgrifmx Posts: 92member
    it takes much longer to produce magical colors though

• Reply 23 of 29
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Color choices are fun. 
  • Reply 24 of 29
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    lmac said:
    And. Though maybe it’s just me. I tend to be looking at the display side. So the case color isn’t even visible. 
  • Reply 25 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    Latko said:
    Apple should give the XR some bolder colors instead of the pastels imo.  A navy, an emerald, a burnt orange.  Anything like that would be nice.
    Especially if you want to win the Chinese market back. And (like coding) it doesn’t require a 4 year education to see that, Tim
    Oh look, we found the armchair CEO! How are your pretend companies doing this quarter? Good pretend profits?
  • Reply 26 of 29

grifmx said:
    don't worry! they will release many different colors slowly and strategically in the coming years, along with other minor improvements, to keep us buying ridiculously expensive pocket computers
    I enjoy my pocket computer. Why don't you? If not don't keep buying them...

As for improvements, iterative improvement is the name of the game. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up.

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html

• Reply 27 of 29
    zoetmb said:
    lmac said:
    Same here.  Many times, I've seen someone carrying an iPhone without a case and I think, "wow, that iPhone looks really nice" and then I realize that it's the exact model and color that I already have.   

This is why I think Apple's obsession with thinness, color and edge design of the phone is ridiculous.  The phones aren't robust enough to carry without a case and with a case  you don't see any of that stuff anyway.  
    Of course they are. Mine's setting on my desk right now without a case, I carry it and use it without a case just fine. In fact the only time I use a case is when going to the gym or out drinking. It's fine, you're just scared.

Making devices thinner is how we keep pushing the state of the art and get our tech to a place where it can do things it couldn't do before -- like stuck into a watch, or a folding phone, or whatever they come up with. You can't get to the neat devices of the sci-fi future by halting engineering at iPhone 3G or 4 levels for all time. That's absurd.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 29
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,698member
    zoetmb said:
    lmac said:

Of course they are. Mine's setting on my desk right now without a case, I carry it and use it without a case just fine. In fact the only time I use a case is when going to the gym or out drinking. It's fine, you're just scared.

Making devices thinner is how we keep pushing the state of the art and get our tech to a place where it can do things it couldn't do before -- like stuck into a watch, or a folding phone, or whatever they come up with. You can't get to the neat devices of the sci-fi future by halting engineering at iPhone 3G or 4 levels for all time. That's absurd.
    All glass phones (Gorilla Glass or not) are not robust in the number one 'accident incident': drops onto hard surfaces. It's a lottery.

By not using a case you are eliminating the first line of protection against a drop. That's your call but the OP has a valid point whichever way you look at it. Including yours.

Most modern glass phones are built to be relatively comfortable in the hand but almost always sacrifice grip in the process. Cases also often solve that issue and in doing so, reduce the chances of suffering a fall in the first place.

As for being armchair CEO, pundits or whatever other derogatory term you wish to use. They are used as cheap insults and nothing more.

We are all armchair whatevers. That includes the CEOs of many companies. The only people who are not, are  those who sit on the boards of the companies we comment on. That means just about everybody. And pointing to Gruber is simply pointing to another opinion. There is no 'Book of Gruber'  which holds the absolute truth and what is true today might not be true later on so pointing to a decade old article is just that: a decade old article.

'oh look, we found the armchair CEO!' 

Latko has an opinion. The least we can do is respect it and counter it with respect.

muthuk_vanalingamchemengin
  • Reply 29 of 29

Can't innovate, my astronauts...

Where are the new watch bands to go with this?

Sorry (not sorry) for the sarcasm, but this has all of the excitement of a wet tea bag, since all that I see everyone at work do is put a protective cover over it, so they can have pink and cyan paisley on a purple/yellow checkerboard pattern, and nobody'd never know.