Apple's Find My feature requires two devices, boasts extreme security safeguards

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    kevin kee said:
    sflocal said:
    Seriously slick stuff.  

Android could never get this kind of cohesion between devices.
    Theoretically they could, but practically without a standard protocol, it would be a nightmare.
    But imagine if they did that, how close are we to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_takeover

Google doesn't do this on device and crypto-privately which I think they should, kudos to Apple for that, but yes they can use bluetooth/beacons alone or in concert with wifi or cellular etc to "find" any of your Android devices connected to your personal account. I personally would prefer Apple's method, at least I think I would. 

And yes it may be a relatively small step to the AI takeover someday if we aren't exceedingly careful. Our devices are getting pretty "smart", the communication between them more merged, the linking of things and places and people better attuned....
    we better be thinking ahead. Hard.

"Authorities" have a way of sneaking things in on us while making it all sound so friendly and helpful. 20 years from now we might be thinking "how did we get here?"
  • Reply 22 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Is this crowd-sourced Find My service just for the personal Find My iPhone/iPad/Mac stuff, or does it also extend to Find My Friends?  I believe the two apps are being combined, but all the talk about the crowd-sourcing seems to apply to the former, not the latter.
    forgot username
  • Reply 23 of 26
    sandorsandor Posts: 659member
    The use of the word "intertwine" in this article is odd ... why not just say, "encrypt" (since that's what it does...)?
    does it actually encrypt the "anonymous finders" location with the public key to send back to Apple's servers?
    or does it just entwine them?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    If this is not an user controllable feature, the totalitarian regimes would applause.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    gatorguy said:
     20 years from now we might be thinking "how did we get here?"
    You aren't already?  lol  Compare what third party and government entities know about you today vs what they knew in 1999.  What would 1999-you think about all the monitoring and tracking that applies to nearly every aspect of daily life today - from license plate cameras to cross-site (and even ISP-level) web tracking, to RealID, to TSA security theater?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 26
    sflocal said:
    Seriously slick stuff.  

Android could never get this kind of cohesion between devices.
    Yes, they could.  It would just be encrypted and easily accessible by identity thieves and intelligence agencies. 
    watto_cobra