iPad wins again, Google cancels upcoming tablet products

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,216member
    matrix077 said:
    Wow, I didn’t know Google tablet (running ChromeOS & using Intel - they losing their mind?) is this bad. If you, like me, haven’t followed any news of Google tablet, this video will open your eyes
    https://youtu.be/HOh6d_r63Bw
    Everyone I've read agrees with you. Google should have been satisfied with the IMO excellent Pixelbook. The Google Slate is looking for a reason to exist, has none, solves no problems, and thankfully they've chosen not to continue with it. Leave that stuff to OEM's. I do hope the Pixelbook line continues on tho and all indications are it will. 
    edited June 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 62 of 74
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    stompy said:
    melgross said:
    stompy said:
    melgross said:
    What I’ve seen is that the lack of interest from Android developers to enthusiastically embrace a tablet product has resulted in this sorry mess. But it’s also Google’s fault. Basically, they’ve ignored tablet development....

But few major apps were modified for the tablet form, rather, it’s mostly unknown apps from China, with odd games and beauty photo apps.

so we see that even Samsung has trouble selling tablets, though they do sell some. Mostly though, they’re $100, and even less.... Some make it here.
    Agree, with one additional observation: in the U.S., amazon fire tablets are "good enough" for lots of price first consumers.
    Sure, but after a surge when they first came out, sales have been disappointing.
    Are you saying disappointing compared to the iPad? I was referring only to your last line, that "Samsung has trouble selling tablets..." and "some make it here". Amazon tablet figures -- as far as amazon will say, and as analysis can guide -- have increased slowly but steadily
    I forget about those Fire tablets. There's quite a few being used by family members and friends when I think about it. My daughter has two (I guess one to carry with her and one for home), my son-in-law has one, an elderly friend of my wife's has at least three scattered around her home she uses for reading books, my sister uses one for books as well as some game she mentioned and can't recall....

Amazon's tablets have a reason to exist and thus are seeing success. A tablet from Google would be released why? Leave those to OEM's if they've identified a market for them. IMO Google should focus elsewhere. Not ignore it altogether, but don't get involved in developing hardware of their own. 

You wouldn't be saying this if it wasn't such a turd.

marsorry said:
    Uhm, this is the opposite of a win!  The secret to great products is great competition - losing an adversary doesn't translate into a great win.  This is a pity and the battle moves squarely to Microsoft and its Surface line - who would have thought?
    Think about what you just said.  If “the secret to great products is great competition” then shouldn’t Google and every other competitor to Apple have been able to build great and enduring products?  After all, they all have Apple as their competition.

Your supposition makes no sense.

He's just repeating an old meme that gets tossed around tech forums all the time.

marsorry said:
    Uhm, this is the opposite of a win!  The secret to great products is great competition - losing an adversary doesn't translate into a great win.  This is a pity and the battle moves squarely to Microsoft and its Surface line - who would have thought?
    There are still plenty of crummy cheap Android tablet manufacturers.

k2kw said:
    marsorry said:
    Don’t feel too disappointed .   Crappy Fire Tablets are still around.   One of my friends was complaining about his today.

Good thing they're still around! They'll keep Apple innovating innovating innovating!!!

/s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 74
    gatorguy said:
    stompy said:
    melgross said:
    stompy said:
    melgross said:
    What I’ve seen is that the lack of interest from Android developers to enthusiastically embrace a tablet product has resulted in this sorry mess. But it’s also Google’s fault. Basically, they’ve ignored tablet development....

But few major apps were modified for the tablet form, rather, it’s mostly unknown apps from China, with odd games and beauty photo apps.

so we see that even Samsung has trouble selling tablets, though they do sell some. Mostly though, they’re $100, and even less.... Some make it here.
    Agree, with one additional observation: in the U.S., amazon fire tablets are "good enough" for lots of price first consumers.
    Sure, but after a surge when they first came out, sales have been disappointing.
    Are you saying disappointing compared to the iPad? I was referring only to your last line, that "Samsung has trouble selling tablets..." and "some make it here". Amazon tablet figures -- as far as amazon will say, and as analysis can guide -- have increased slowly but steadily
    I forget about those Fire tablets. There's quite a few being used by family members and friends when I think about it. My daughter has two (I guess one to carry with her and one for home), my son-in-law has one, an elderly friend of my wife's has at least three scattered around her home she uses for reading books, my sister uses one for books as well as some game she mentioned and can't recall....

Amazon's tablets have a reason to exist and thus are seeing success. A tablet from Google would be released why? Leave those to OEM's if they've identified a market for them. IMO Google should focus elsewhere. Not ignore it altogether, but don't get involved in developing hardware of their own. 

Of course not. If I thought the Slate was a great tablet I would have said so. I didn't, saying quite the opposite which should have been your clue. Such obviousness...
    edited June 2019 avon b7
  • Reply 64 of 74
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    stompy said:
    melgross said:
    stompy said:
    melgross said:

Of course not. If I thought the Slate was a great tablet I would have said so. I didn't, saying quite the opposite which should have been your clue. Such obviousness...
    "A tablet from Google would be released why? Leave those to OEM's"

YOUR words. You didn't mention the hardware being crap just that Google should not be in the market.

Again, forget the quality, had it been financially successful and sold well you would have pretended it was better than iPad and passively suggested we all go buy one.

You even mention Fire tablets and how you know so many people that have them. Those are crap too. Even worse than the Slate but I won't see you mention Amazon leaving tablets to other OEMs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 74
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    cropr said:
    When I bought my iPad in 2014, I had the intention to use frequently in my professional and private life.  But that did not happen due to its limitations.  The last few years I only use it to occasionally play a game.  The moment it dies, I won't replace it
    Results not typical.
    ericthehalfbeechiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 74
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    stompy said:
    melgross said:
    stompy said:
    melgross said:

YOUR words. You didn't mention the hardware being crap just that Google should not be in the market.

Again, forget the quality, had it been financially successful and sold well you would have pretended it was better than iPad and passively suggested we all go buy one.

You even mention Fire tablets and how you know so many people that have them. Those are crap too. Even worse than the Slate but I won't see you mention Amazon leaving tablets to other OEMs.
    Then you failed to read my initial post, and the consistency in each of them that followed including this one:
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3169764/#Comment_3169764

I realize you're trying to find something to argue about but give it up. We agree. 

...Except that considering the type of buyer they are going after I think the Fire tablets are far better than Google's Slate. They aren't trying to be more than they are and I believe buyers know what they want them for and what they're getting.
    edited June 2019 AppleExposedmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 67 of 74
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member

The hardware wasn't crap. In fact, most reviewers agree it was pretty good. The software on the other hand is pretty bad. Couple that with an unworthy high price and it was a non starter for many including me. I had high hopes for it but, in the end, the iPad pro was a better choice.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

lkrupp said:
    From day one Apple has been a hardware manufacturer first and supported that hardware with software. Both Google and Microsoft were founded as software developers and are trying to get into hardware manufacturing. They are finding out just how difficult it is to produce a physical product and to acquire the skills required to do it. Supply chains, factories, packaging, distribution, support, parts, warranties, repair and exchange, all things Apple is supremely skilled at and has been doing for forty years makes a big difference.
    And yet, it’s the OS and the apps (ie software)  that marks the greatest differentiation between the Apple versus Google user experience.  So...  
    well, it’s become, certainly on the iOS side, a matter of the hard and software being dependent on each other. Let’s face it, Apple does make its money on hardware. How many apps does Apple give away? How many hardware products? Oops!

but with Apple controlling more of the hardware, they can move the software closer to where they want it to be. But they’re still selling the hardware, even if a lot of people buy it at least partly because of the software. Confusing? You bet! But there is a synergistic relationship here that Apple can’t get with the Mac. So that’s where a lot of the ARM on MacOS comes from. They’re not wrong.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    stompy said:
    melgross said:
    stompy said:
    melgross said:

When they first came out, they grabbed a lot of marketshare. They were in second place, after the iPad. But sales did rapidly fall off, after the performance was found to not be very good, and apps were limited. Maybe they’re slowly creeping up, but they’re still not that great. Samsung is number two for the better tablet market, while the Amazon models get lumped with the cheap Chinese ones.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 74
    bigtds said:

The hardware wasn't crap. In fact, most reviewers agree it was pretty good. The software on the other hand is pretty bad. Couple that with an unworthy high price and it was a non starter for many including me. I had high hopes for it but, in the end, the iPad pro was a better choice.

Based on my observations it was laggy as heck and offered nothing new. Of course I'm comparing it to a real iPad. Standards may vary. Maybe the software caused it to lag?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 74
    bigtds said:

Based on my observations it was laggy as heck and offered nothing new. Of course I'm comparing it to a real iPad. Standards may vary. Maybe the software caused it to lag?
    I think at the bottom end, it was both the Intel m3 and crappy software. There should have been no issues with an intel i5. Either way, it was an embarrassing disaster.  Worse, at $999 for the i5, my iPad pro was cheaper and better in every way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 74
    bigtds said:
    bigtds said:

I think at the bottom end, it was both the Intel m3 and crappy software. There should have been no issues with an intel i5. Either way, it was an embarrassing disaster.  Worse, at $999 for the i5, my iPad pro was cheaper and better in every way.
    I have a video on this which I posted on page 1 that shows proof of the lag. Also Marques Brownlee (I think that's his name) also shows the Pixel lagging.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 74
    bigtds said:
    bigtds said:

I have a video on this which I posted on page 1 that shows proof of the lag. Also Marques Brownlee (I think that's his name) also shows the Pixel lagging.
    All I was saying is that the i5 should not have had a problem with lag. The fact that it did is proof the the software was crap. Oh, and I watched your video. Really embarrassing. You might want to stick to your knockoff diatribes on AppleInsider.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 74
    bigtds said:
    bigtds said:
    bigtds said:

All I was saying is that the i5 should not have had a problem with lag. The fact that it did is proof the the software was crap. Oh, and I watched your video. Really embarrassing. You might want to stick to your knockoff diatribes on AppleInsider.

I mean if facts and exposing of hypocrisy get you triggered...

Either way it was LAGGY. End of story. You can defend your dead knockoff iPad beyond the grave it won't change a thing. Sometimes you just have to let go(like Google did).
    watto_cobra