16-inch MacBook Pro release, MacBook Air updates predicted for September

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    MacPro said:
    Why doesn't Apple simply go fo a 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) screen?  I just bought a Dell 15" laptop for my granddaughter who needs it for AutoCAD that has one and it is stunning.
    That would be my question as well.
    The 'class' of computer I've heard described as a 'portable desktop' per the 50/50 post.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/refurbished-razer-blade-pro-v2

• Reply 22 of 75
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    "Laptops" live a mostly binary life:  
    -- Half spend most of their lives travelling (room to room, office to home/office, or city to city)
    -- Half spend most of their lives sitting on a desk

Without getting into what the split actually is, Apple has largely ignored the second category in its single minded rush to thin, light, minimalist designs.

Here, they have a chance to break out of that prison.

Will the new MacBook be upgradeable, have a great keyboard that people like to use, and ports that people need and use?  
    Or, will it be just more of the same -- just a little bigger?

Frankly, if it's just a bigger version of the same, there is no chance that I would buy one.
    If your laptop is spending the vast majority of its life sitting on a desk, you may as well just get a desktop.  The whole point of a laptop is that it's going to travel.
    macxpressfastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 75
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:
    Why doesn't Apple simply go fo a 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) screen?  I just bought a Dell 15" laptop for my granddaughter who needs it for AutoCAD that has one and it is stunning.
    My guess is either because of battery life, and/or they can't find one of quality they want. As a result, they might also have to up the specs on their graphics card as well which again, effects battery life. I'm sure its on their radar...they just need the right time to release it. Kinda just like how iPhones recently starting shipping with OLED screens when they've been out on mobile phones for quite some time. 

Macs run AutoCAD by the way too! 
    Apple doesn't do 16:9 aspect ratio screens on their Macs. They're 16:10 aspect ratio, which to me is actually better.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 75

Rajka said:
    No doubt the new MacBook Pro will be thin to the point of a fault, difficult to repair, not upgradeable or expandable. Oh, and quite expensive. And it will sport the new failed keyboard that is awful to type on to begin with. (That's a matter of one's preference though.) Those are my predictions. I'll pass. On yet another MBP. Just like on the Mac Pro. Apple doesn't make computers for me any longer. Sigh.
    Apple claims they will listen to customers after the last mac pro...

"Seventy-five per cent of people surveyed said they support "right to repair" legislation that would make it easier to fix devices."
    https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-june-16-2019-1.5175507/why-some-people-are-fighting-for-the-right-to-repair-our-broken-products-1.5175579

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Right_to_Repair_Initiative
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/right-to-repair-legislation-device-smartphone-1.5144235

What are the customer benefits of the proprietary main ssd connectors in the 2019 pro ?
    ...and how about those AirPods...
  • Reply 25 of 75
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    zimmie said:
    crowley said:
    -- Half spend most of their lives travelling (room to room, office to home/office, or city to city)

Without getting into what the split actually is, Apple has largely ignored the second category in its single minded rush to thin, light, minimalist designs.

Will the new MacBook be upgradeable, have a great keyboard that people like to use, and ports that people need and use?  

Frankly, if it's just a bigger version of the same, there is no chance that I would buy one.
    Then there is no chance you will buy one.  No chance of upgradeability.
    I don't know about that. The T2 providing both system security and the SSD controller is the biggest reason the SSDs are built into the logic board. With the new Mac Pro, it looks like they have split the T2 off into a system T2 and an SSD T2. They could make the new MBP accept the same SSDs as the Mac Pro.
    I agree.   The soldered, non-replaceable SSD & memory never made a lot of sense to me as a consumer.   The incremental performance or reliability simply didn't justify what was essentially a disposable machine costing thousands.

I can see Apple making those things proprietary.  And I can see them voiding the warranty if non OEM parts are installed by a unauthorzed repair person.  But, forcing the consumer to predict their usage demands for years in the future - and pay dearly for it -- just didn't seem reasonable.

Things change and shit happens:
    For a period storage demands were increasing dramatically as people started storing music and videos on their machines.  But streaming has largely reduced those demands -- and 5G may reduce them even further as streaming / cloud based services proliferate (even if the Mac never accesses 5G directly).  It makes things hard to predict.  Where will be in 5 years?
  • Reply 26 of 75
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Rajka said:
    No doubt the new MacBook Pro will be thin to the point of a fault, difficult to repair, not upgradeable or expandable. Oh, and quite expensive. And it will sport the new failed keyboard that is awful to type on to begin with. (That's a matter of one's preference though.) Those are my predictions. I'll pass. On yet another MBP. Just like on the Mac Pro. Apple doesn't make computers for me any longer. Sigh.

"Seventy-five per cent of people surveyed said they support "right to repair" legislation that would make it easier to fix devices."
    https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-june-16-2019-1.5175507/why-some-people-are-fighting-for-the-right-to-repair-our-broken-products-1.5175579

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/right-to-repair-legislation-device-smartphone-1.5144235

What are the customer benefits of the proprietary main ssd connectors in the 2019 pro ?
    Seriously...you want fucking AirPods to be "repairable"? You are seriously off your rocker! Why does EVERYTHING have to be repairable? What's next, we want repairable lightbulbs so we don't have to buy new ones when they blow out? 
    80s_Apple_GuyStrangeDaysmacplusplus
  • Reply 27 of 75
    macxpress said:
    I'll add that I also have a 2012 rMBP which is going strong (having replaced the screen, battery and internal SSD) with every port I need actually built in (imagine that!!).  The new MBP will be VERY expensive, especially since I will need dongles galore (USB 2.0, HDMI, SD cards, etc) for work, home and the plane.  Still, I'm sure it will be a nice machine.  
    The current MacBook Pro has every port you need as well. You don't need dongle hell (I wish people would stop falsely claiming this). All you need is a different cable.  

I'm sure it will be expensive as well. In case everyone forgot, the 17" MacBook Pro wasn't cheap either (it also didn't sell very well which was why it was dropped in the first place). And, you can bet your ass Apple will do everything it can to make this as thin and light as possible as they always do. 
    Please tell me what the difference is between needing a whole bunch of dongles vs needing a whole bunch of longer cables? Either I carry dongles for every connection or a whole bunch of different cables for every connection. 
    edited June 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 75
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 112member
    Just got a 2019 octo-core MacBook Pro. Great machine! Best Mac ever.

I'd be leery of buying a 16" MBP version 1.0. Actually, ANY 1st generation Mac.
    Let Apple and the beta testers… I mean, early adopters… work out the kinks first.
    Well let's be honest - people are still beta testing the current lineup.  There are still random crashes due to the T2 chip and bridge OS, as well it's not confirmed that the keyboard is properly fixed either.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    macxpress said:

Rajka said:

Seriously...you want fucking AirPods to be "repairable"? You are seriously off your rocker! Why does EVERYTHING have to be repairable? What's next, we want repairable lightbulbs so we don't have to buy new ones when they blow out? 
    Of course that's crazy. However there's a big difference between "cheap"accessories and a $2-5000 computer. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 75
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    80s_Apple_Guy said: Please tell me what the difference is between needing a whole bunch of dongles vs needing a whole bunch of longer cables? Either I carry dongles for every connection or a whole bunch of different cables for every connection. 
    I've known for a while that an upgrade was in my future and I've gradually been preparing for it. The last monitor I bought was USB-C ready, as was the last external drive, and as was also the last card reader. Then again, part of that was also the fact my new iPad Pro was USB-C and I was looking for device compatibility there as well.

If you "suddenly" have to replace everything you haven't been paying attention.
    Rayz2016StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 75
    macxpress said:
    I'll add that I also have a 2012 rMBP which is going strong (having replaced the screen, battery and internal SSD) with every port I need actually built in (imagine that!!).  The new MBP will be VERY expensive, especially since I will need dongles galore (USB 2.0, HDMI, SD cards, etc) for work, home and the plane.  Still, I'm sure it will be a nice machine.  
    The current MacBook Pro has every port you need as well. You don't need dongle hell (I wish people would stop falsely claiming this). All you need is a different cable.  

I'm sure it will be expensive as well. In case everyone forgot, the 17" MacBook Pro wasn't cheap either (it also didn't sell very well which was why it was dropped in the first place). And, you can bet your ass Apple will do everything it can to make this as thin and light as possible as they always do. 
    Please tell me what the difference is between needing a whole bunch of dongles vs needing a whole bunch of longer cables? Either I carry dongles for every connection or a whole bunch of different cables for every connection. 
    Meaning, you just replace the existing cable you own with a USB-C/Thunderbolt to whatever you need cable. If you need to carry around USB 3.0 (USB A) cables with your laptop then something isn't right anyways. You shouldn't need to be taking your office desk with you in your bag everywhere you go these days. Get with the times! Replacing a cable that will most likely be the future connector of products going forward will be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than getting a bunch of more expensive dongles. For example, you can get a USB-C to HDMI cable for $20 or you can buy the Apple USB-C to HDMI dongle for $80. USB-C/Thunderbolt is the most versatile port Apple has ever put in a Mac, period! You can pretty much get everything you want through 1 port instead of needing to have 10 different ports scattered along the side of a laptop. Plus, you can plug it into either side versus before it was almost always on the left side only (including charging). 
    StrangeDaysmacplusplusfastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 75

macxpress said:

Rajka said:

Of course that's crazy. However there's a big difference between "cheap"accessories and a $2-5000 computer. 
    The difference also is, how many people in the real world (outside of tech forums) really want to be able to repair the own computer whether it's a $300 PC or a $5,000 Mac? IMO, this is really just an extremely small percentage of people who are whining about this. 
    Rayz2016StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 75
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    MacPro said:
    That would be my question as well.
    The 'class' of computer I've heard described as a 'portable desktop' per the 50/50 post.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/refurbished-razer-blade-pro-v2

Apple has basically settled on 221 PPI for its laptop displays. Somewhere close to there. With the UI scaling that they do, running 1920x1200 points per inch is pretty good, with the UI pretty sharp. Going higher doesn’t really provide discernible improvement for the vast majority of human eyes, and some can run at the full 221 PPI, 2880x1800, if they want too. So, they think they’ve reached diminishing returns above 220 PPI or so for laptops.

If the resolution of this new laptop is 3072x1920, you can back out its dimensions by dividing by the 221 PPI. So, 3072/221 = 13.9 inches and 1920/221 = 8.69 inches. This would make it a 16.4” diagonal 16:10 display.

If true, it will have a 13% larger display. Not much gain, but it’s other features are the likely draw. Maybe It will be an ARM machine. Maybe it will have a Vega 48 in it. Who knows.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    croprcropr Posts: 1,125member
    macxpress said:
    Meaning, you just replace the existing cable you own with a USB-C/Thunderbolt to whatever you need cable. If you need to carry around USB 3.0 (USB A) cables with your laptop then something isn't right anyways. You shouldn't need to be taking your office desk with you in your bag everywhere you go these days. Get with the times! Replacing a cable that will most likely be the future connector of products going forward will be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than getting a bunch of more expensive dongles. For example, you can get a USB-C to HDMI cable for $20 or you can buy the Apple USB-C to HDMI dongle for $80. USB-C/Thunderbolt is the most versatile port Apple has ever put in a Mac, period! You can pretty much get everything you want through 1 port instead of needing to have 10 different ports scattered along the side of a laptop. Plus, you can plug it into either side versus before it was almost always on the left side only (including charging). 
    I am working in 4 different working locations  (2 co-working locations, my official office and my home).  I have 1 external monitor that accepts USB-C,  but 100% of external monitors and projectors I need to connect to have a HDMI cable attached, so I don't need a cable or dongle if my portable has a HDMI port available.   You story simply does not fly in a real professional environment.   One of the reasons why I bought a Dell XPS 15 and not a Macbook Pro was exactly the HDMI port

If the maximum resolution of the monitor is supported by HDMI (as in 99% of the use cases), USB-C connectivity does not give any technical advantage, it only increases the price.  So in most environments people don't have a compelling reason to replace their existing monitors with a USB-C compatible one.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 35 of 75
    cropr said:
    macxpress said:
    I am working in 4 different working locations  (2 co-working locations, my official office and my home).  I have 1 external monitor that accepts USB-C,  but 100% of external monitors and projectors I need to connect to have a HDMI cable attached, so I don't need a cable or dongle if my portable has a HDMI port available.   You story simply does not fly in a real professional environment.   One of the reasons why I bought a Dell XPS 15 and not a Macbook Pro was exactly the HDMI port

If the maximum resolution of the monitor is supported by HDMI (as in 99% of the use cases), USB-C connectivity does not give any technical advantage, it only increases the price.  So in most environments people don't have a compelling reason to replace their existing monitors with a USB-C compatible one.

So its just too much for you to simply purchase a USB-C to HDMI cable? LOL! Where I work, we use newer MacBook Pros everywhere and they work just fine (professional environment BTW). I feel sorry for you that you thought you had to buy a POS Dell (UGH!) just because of a simple HDMI thing that is very easily solved. 
    edited June 2019 StrangeDaysmacplusplusfastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 75
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    zimmie said:
    crowley said:

Then there is no chance you will buy one.  No chance of upgradeability.
    I don't know about that. The T2 providing both system security and the SSD controller is the biggest reason the SSDs are built into the logic board. With the new Mac Pro, it looks like they have split the T2 off into a system T2 and an SSD T2. They could make the new MBP accept the same SSDs as the Mac Pro.
    I agree.   The soldered, non-replaceable SSD & memory never made a lot of sense to me as a consumer.   The incremental performance or reliability simply didn't justify what was essentially a disposable machine costing thousands.
    There's that goofy, wrong phrase again -- "disposable". Nope. Just because you can't upgrade the storage or RAM doesnt make it suddenly "disposable". That's absurd. It remains a tool to perform a job to be done, and it does it well. 99% of laptop owners have never and will never replace the storage on their Dells or whatever, that doesn't make them suddenly "disposable!" machines. 

If you're talking about repairability, that still doesn't make sense since you certainly can bring them in for repair. 

By your fuzzy logic, nearly all products are "disposable" -- iPads, TVs, stereos, microwaves, blenders, you name it. Even cars! Because hey, if you can't upgrade the carburetor then it must be "disposable!" right?

Wrong. 
    macplusplusfastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 75
    macxpress said:

Things that need to attach to a computer need to connect to it via a cable. A cable is not a dongle. Words have meanings, you don't get too commandeer them just because you want to create a false narrative about something. 

I use semi-pro equipment and my gear uses CF, so whining about SD doesn't even make any sense to me. If you need some special hardware connector, that's on you to plug it in -- expecting Apple to build it into the laptop frame used by everyone is absurd.
    macplusplusfastasleep
  • Reply 38 of 75

macxpress said:

Rajka said:

What laptops does Apple sell which cannot be brought in for repair?
    edited June 2019 macplusplusmacxpressTyson12
  • Reply 39 of 75

cropr said:
    macxpress said:

LOL - "I bought a crappy plastic Dell running crappy Windows, with a higher TCO than a Mac, because I didn't want to buy an HDMI cable!" Riiiight. Cool story bro.

Thank god you're not on my payroll. I need people capable of solving problems in the simplest way possible, not those who claim to cut off their nose to spite their face.
    edited June 2019 macplusplusmacxpressfastasleep
  • Reply 40 of 75
    macxpress said:

Rajka said:

Have you ever been to a transfer station or landfill site?  Do you care about the environment that sustains us?  Probably not so much given your language and apparent lack of respect for other opinions, given not everyone might agree with your idea of the world...

My analogue cans (dual driver audiophile from 1980's) and buds (audiophile musician) are still going strong, and occasionally require new cables or pads, yet to me that sure beats declining battery life and needing to buy a new complete unit every few years... Just my opinion of course.

Is Apple trying to turn as many of their products into consumables, presumably for profit ?  

Recycling can also be resource intensive. Research solar panels for example. Renewable yes, but sustainable...? 
    edited June 2019 GeorgeBMac